Applying to fellowship before taking step/level III.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fingerscrossedpremed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, thanks in advance for your responses,
I am applying to pulm/crit fellowship in the upcoming application cycle. I am coming from a top 20 IM program and have taken step 1/2 and Level 1/2 with scores all around the 90th percentile or higher. My program is interesting in the sense that residents tend to take step/level III very late. I was planning on taking level III some time in my third year this year when my schedule is a bit more relaxed. I was never concerned about it until I noticed that 2-3 of the programs I am applying to mention that they require a passed level/step 3 prior to applying. Obviously, I cannot remedy this now as applications are going out in a few days. Does anyone know if this will seriously hurt my chances for pulm /crit?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Can't help. A lot of programs want it at minimum scheduled.

Late reply but if you're step I and II are that strong and you're coming from a top institution I seriously doubt any PD would not consider you for something as inconsequential as step 3 (every IM res I know crushes it if they actually do the non-im sections of uworld). You should meet with your home PD to talk about the program and your interests in general (I'd recommend doing this regardless) and slip in that question.