Applying to Derm with no rotation yet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Grace82

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had been very interested in Derm for a long time (since high school) and therefore have a lot of publications and clinical experience in derm. However, I did not get a very good score on step I (just under 230) and although I am close to my home derm dept they told me that I would not be able to get into their program because of a step 1 cutoff they have. Because of this I decided to not do a derm rotation during my 3rd year (although I did do a derm research elective with much clinical exposure). I focused the beginning of this year (4th) studying for step 2 and doing a rotation in another specialty which I will be applying to.

I just got my step II score back and it is significantly higher than my step I. I have letters of rec for if I apply to derm but am unsure if I will even be considered without a derm rotation. I could probably schedule one for november but it may be too late by then? Any advice would be great!

Members don't see this ad.

I had been very interested in Derm for a long time (since high school) and therefore have a lot of publications and clinical experience in derm. However, I did not get a very good score on step I (just under 230) and although I am close to my home derm dept they told me that I would not be able to get into their program because of a step 1 cutoff they have. Because of this I decided to not do a derm rotation during my 3rd year (although I did do a derm research elective with much clinical exposure). I focused the beginning of this year (4th) studying for step 2 and doing a rotation in another specialty which I will be applying to.

I just got my step II score back and it is significantly higher than my step I. I have letters of rec for if I apply to derm but am unsure if I will even be considered without a derm rotation. I could probably schedule one for november but it may be too late by then? Any advice would be great!

Step 1 is used in the formula for cut-off, not step 2. Most places have reviewed those applications and will be sending them out at the end of Nov and beginning of Dec. It is cutting it close. Also, it will be difficult to impress anyone on a derm rotation. Some places may give you an interview just b/c you rotated and might take note of your step2 and research. But it is interesting that your own dept doesn't want you, it might be the same reaction elsewhere.

Congrats on doing well on your Step II.
November may likely be too late to have a meaningful impact for this cycle. Also, a number of residents as well as attendings can provide various valid reasons as to why away rotations in dermatology can potentially be more harmful than helpful.
Personally, I did 2 away rotations early in my senior year, and believe it likely benefited my overall residency application (I also apparently received a very supportive letter from one of the programs).

I am unsure what the cutoff for Step 1 is at most programs, or just how many programs have a cutoff (though I would imagine many do as to reduce the volume of applications to process), and I honestly wish there was more transparency in the whole residency selection process...

Have you had a chance to read the sticky on Dermmatch's guide? I found it particularly helpful and informative.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=590380

Last edited: