Applying to Civilian Residencies with Reserve/Guard Obligations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

triclimb

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

Does anyone have any experience / knowledge regarding how civilian residency programs view applicants who are members of the Reserve or Guard? Specifically, does the commitment of drill and AT make you less of a desirable candidate due to the scheduling hassles it will impose on the program?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

triclimb said:
Hey Everyone,

Does anyone have any experience / knowledge regarding how civilian residency programs view applicants who are members of the Reserve or Guard? Specifically, does the commitment of drill and AT make you less of a desirable candidate due to the scheduling hassles it will impose on the program?

Thanks
Good question. I have no idea, but I imagine it could be a problem for some of the more time demanding residencies (eg surgery). How often will you have to drill? Also, the possibility of getting deployed may be a turn off to some residency programs.

Sledge2005 said:
Good question. I have no idea, but I imagine it could be a problem for some of the more time demanding residencies (eg surgery). How often will you have to drill? Also, the possibility of getting deployed may be a turn off to some residency programs.

Well, its my understanding that at least for the Guard, you drill one weekend a month, and have a two week annual training which sometimes can be broken up into smaller segments to fit into schedules better. I also believe that until residency is over, you are non-deployable.

Members don't see this ad :)
triclimb said:
Well, its my understanding that at least for the Guard, you drill one weekend a month, and have a two week annual training which sometimes can be broken up into smaller segments to fit into schedules better. I also believe that until residency is over, you are non-deployable.

The normal guard/reserve commitment is one weekend a month and two weeks a year.

If you are in a normal reserve/guard unit there is no such thing as "non-deployable." The only way to avoid being deployed if you are a resident is
1)Not be in the military at all
2)Be training through the military medical education system (this would mean a deferment if training in the civilian world.)

Just because your civilian job is as a resident would probably mean nothing if you were serving in the reserve/guard. Now with that being said I believe it is illegal for an employer to consider your Reserve status when determining employment. They would also be required to give you the time off for training and would be required to return you to a position of same pay/stature if you were deployed.

backrow said:
The normal guard/reserve commitment is one weekend a month and two weeks a year.

If you are in a normal reserve/guard unit there is no such thing as "non-deployable." The only way to avoid being deployed if you are a resident is
1)Not be in the military at all
2)Be training through the military medical education system (this would mean a deferment if training in the civilian world.)

Just because your civilian job is as a resident would probably mean nothing if you were serving in the reserve/guard. Now with that being said I believe it is illegal for an employer to consider your Reserve status when determining employment. They would also be required to give you the time off for training and would be required to return you to a position of same pay/stature if you were deployed.

There are medical reserve units that have mostly residents as members. I used to belong to one. Unit drill was condensed to two 8-hour meetings a year, one every six months, and a personal training report fulfilled by common academic activities like grand rounds. ACDUTRA was two weeks performed on site of your hospital residency while you were in residency. Supposedly you weren't allowed to be called up before completing your program (that did not extend to BC/BE not in training serving in the unit, they were treated like other active reservists and were subject to call-up).