Applying to Canadian Internship as an American

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SilverHearted

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
It has come to my attention that both US and Canadian sites are listed as available for match on the APPIC directory. Neuropsychology is my area of specialization and there were a number of neuro internships in Canada that really caught my attention, but I wasn't sure as to the true feasibility of going there versus somewhere stateside considering I am only an American citizen.

Is there a precedent for American students who don't have Canadian citizenship to successfully apply to, interview with, and match to sites in Canada? If so, are there hurdles that can be expected during this process which would not occur when trying to go to a site in the US (beyond having to deal with getting a visa)? In the event that an American were to do an internship in Canada, are there issues that someone might have in terms of credentialing and licensure when coming back to the US post-internship?

When I did some research into the issue, it appeared that the APA and CPA have an accord in place which recognizes equivalent standards of accreditation for schools, internships, and post-doctoral training. However, I am concerned that there could still be unforeseen difficulties with moving there for internship and then presumably coming back to the US for the next stage of my training.

I would legitimately love to go somewhere in Canada for internship (and possibly stay on for a post-doc as I know that will be required of me in order to specialize in neuropsychology). Any insights regarding how realistic this could be would be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

It has come to my attention that both US and Canadian sites are listed as available for match on the APPIC directory. Neuropsychology is my area of specialization and there were a number of neuro internships in Canada that really caught my attention, but I wasn't sure as to the true feasibility of going there versus somewhere stateside considering I am only an American citizen.

Is there a precedent for American students who don't have Canadian citizenship to successfully apply to, interview with, and match to sites in Canada? If so, are there hurdles that can be expected during this process which would not occur when trying to go to a site in the US (beyond having to deal with getting a visa)? In the event that an American were to do an internship in Canada, are there issues that someone might have in terms of credentialing and licensure when coming back to the US post-internship?

When I did some research into the issue, it appeared that the APA and CPA have an accord in place which recognizes equivalent standards of accreditation for schools, internships, and post-doctoral training. However, I am concerned that there could still be unforeseen difficulties with moving there for internship and then presumably coming back to the US for the next stage of my training.

I would legitimately love to go somewhere in Canada for internship (and possibly stay on for a post-doc as I know that will be required of me in order to specialize in neuropsychology). Any insights regarding how realistic this could be would be much appreciated.
I have no personal experience with this, but I have a neuropsych colleague who is American, did grad school in the US, internship in Canada, and postdoc in the US (she finished postdoc ~4 years ago).

I can see if she would be interested in speaking with you if you'd like....

I've seen a couple of folks do it (most were Canadian citizens, so that answers the #1 question below).

1. Why Canada for internship? I want to go to hawaii, but that isn't where I applied to internships/programs.

2. Do your internship/post-doc where you want to work (related to #1)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I have no personal experience with this, but I have a neuropsych colleague who is American, did grad school in the US, internship in Canada, and postdoc in the US (she finished postdoc ~4 years ago).

Getting a first-hand perspective would be amazing! If your friend is willing to share about her experience a bit, I would love to hear her insights.

Getting a first-hand perspective would be amazing! If your friend is willing to share about her experience a bit, I would love to hear her insights.
Sent you a PM

I'm an American who is applying to two Canadian internship sites this year! Both of the sites are uniquely good matches to my research interests. I know I'm taking a risk by applying, but it seems like a reasonable risk to take.

I listened to a panel a year or two ago about Canadian internships which led me to consider applying.
If so, are there hurdles that can be expected during this process which would not occur when trying to go to a site in the US (beyond having to deal with getting a visa)?
Yes. Especially during COVID. The big ones I've heard are:
-Hurdles or delays related to getting a visa
-Not being able to enter/exit the country due to border closings related to the pandemic.

One of the sites I applied for explicitly states this:
**** Please note, non-Canadian citizens/residents are welcome to apply. Please note that any applicant matched to the program, who is not a Canadian citizen, will be required to obtain a work visa (permitting them to work in Canada) before commencing their residency training. As work permits are issued by the Government of Canada, CAMH cannot guarantee a successful application. According to Canadian immigration policy, preference will be given to Canadian applicants.
Hope this helps!

I'm an American who is applying to two Canadian internship sites this year! Both of the sites are uniquely good matches to my research interests. I know I'm taking a risk by applying, but it seems like a reasonable risk to take.

I listened to a panel a year or two ago about Canadian internships which led me to consider applying.

Yes. Especially during COVID. The big ones I've heard are:
-Hurdles or delays related to getting a visa
-Not being able to enter/exit the country due to border closings related to the pandemic.

One of the sites I applied for explicitly states this:

Hope this helps!
Thanks so much for the input. The sites I've been looking at are also well-matched to my interests so I think it will be worth it to apply next year. You make some great points about the issues posed by COVID and getting a visa. Best of luck with your internship match process!

Hi! I am in a very similar situation and would love to speak with someone first-hand. Can you see if they would be willing to speak with me, as well? Thank you!