Applying to a PGY2 spot at a program that might be losing accreditation??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorRai

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I'm in an IM residency currently but was hoping to move back home to be with my 7 year old who lives with my parents. Home is 4 hours away from my current program. I finally heard back from a program that is willing to interview me for an available PGY2 position starting this July. I was so excited but remember hearing a rumor that the program was going to be shut down. So I checked their accreditation status on ACGME, and it is in fact being withdrawn. Does anyone know what that means exactly? I miss my daughter more than words can express but don't want to end up in a bad situation. I also don't understand why they would be interviewing people if there are issues with accreditation. Any insight would be appreciated! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi. I'm in an IM residency currently but was hoping to move back home to be with my 7 year old who lives with my parents. Home is 4 hours away from my current program. I finally heard back from a program that is willing to interview me for an available PGY2 position starting this July. I was so excited but remember hearing a rumor that the program was going to be shut down. So I checked their accreditation status on ACGME, and it is in fact being withdrawn. Does anyone know what that means exactly? I miss my daughter more than words can express but don't want to end up in a bad situation. I also don't understand why they would be interviewing people if there are issues with accreditation. Any insight would be appreciated! Thanks!

If the program is not accredited, it means graduating residents will not be board eligible. You need to be at an accredited program.
They will have plenty of open spots as residents are going to be looking for spots elsewhere.

Reactions: 1 user
I would be very surprised that if their accreditation is being withdrawn that they would be recruiting residents. I agree with being very careful. Would consder asking them to explain.

Reactions: 1 users
Be careful...understandably you want to be with your child, but you need to think about what is best for her in the long run...if you can’t complete a residency or can’t become board certified, it will effect your long term ability to care for her.
Pgy 2 and 3 years will have more free time and you will have time to spend with her.

Reactions: 3 users