Veterinary Applying this May - What are my chances?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since the veterinary application cycle is coming up in May, I want to see where I can improve or if I even have a shot with the experience, involvement, and GPA I have.
- 1050 Veterinary hours from working/shadowing with a racetrack vet, small animal vet, and exotic vet
- 2000 animal experience hours from working at a shelter, fostering, volunteering at a horse rescue, dog sitting, equine internship through university, and handling animals on the farm through university
- >500 other work experience including babysitting, church and sheriff's office work
I am active in a professional agricultural sorority, pre-vet club, block and bridle, scuba club, and a prestigious leadership program at my university. I also follow the AVMA newsletters through email.
My GPA is 3.78 and science GPA is a 3.81. My letters of recommendation will come from my academic advisor, SA vet, and racetrack vet.

I plan to apply to LSU(which I am in state for), UF, Georgia, North Carolina State, Mississippi State, and Texas A&M. If there are other schools I might be more eligible for, I would love to know that as well!

I really appreciate any advice or guidance through this process!
On face value, you look solid to me, but I would still network with students and admissions officers at your schools of interest. Also, how are your GRE scores?

Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Could I just call the admissions office of each school and just ask them what they are specifically looking for?
I have not taken the GRE yet, but I plan on taking it within the next two months.

You should begin networking with students and ask about the state of student life and support. They can give you a better idea collectively about what schools are looking for than anything the admissions committee are going to say. (Remember, faculty on admissions committees rotate off and on every year, so there is never going to be a specific thing aside from good grades and test scores.) The SAVMA should be helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.