Applying this cycle and worried

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tofurkey

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
HEllo,

I am working on my secs for this cycle and I'm worried.

My UGPA: 3.5
Post-bacc work: 3.6
law degree: 3.0

Lots of EC's, good letters.

Took MCAT for first time in August. Predicting a low score. Maybe in the 24-26 range.

I'm 27 and married. I wrote a kick-ass personal statement, have interesting personal qualities, but I'm worried my stats just aren't good enough. I'm a first time applicant. Also, I applied to 27 schools, mostly low tier and mid tier, like Drexel, Temple, Rush, etc.

Any advice for a non-trad like me?

Thanks,

T

Members don't see this ad.

I got you beat: worse grades (UG), less degrees, lower MCAT (likely), and older. PB & Gr grades were 3.8, but not much consolation. I'm applying to less schools, but hoping for TX in-state love.

Here's to the underachievers :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Tofurkey said:
HEllo,

Took MCAT for first time in August. Predicting a low score. Maybe in the 24-26 range.

I'm 27 and married. I wrote a kick-ass personal statement, have interesting personal qualities, but I'm worried my stats just aren't good enough. I'm a first time applicant. Also, I applied to 27 schools, mostly low tier and mid tier, like Drexel, Temple, Rush, etc.

Thanks,

T

There is always a way to get into medical school. You will be fine. Remember that getting into and completing med school and residency is a test of endurance and perseverance. If I were you, I would also investigate the osteopathic medical schools--same science, same training, same practice rights, different degree behind your name (DO as opposed to MD). I am a DO and doing my first year of residency in Anesthesiology at the University of Mississippi. If you are interested, send me a personal message and I will chat with you.

I am just focusing on (and keep telling myself) that my nontrad status is an asset and will set me apart from the rest of the applicants. There's no end to the number of 21-year-olds knockind down their doors to get accepted; our maturity and life experience (granted, I'm a wise old 28) is something they should be eager for.

Tofurkey said:
HEllo,

Thanks,

T

I don't think you have too much to worry about. My numbers were not as good as yours. I too was a non-traditional student. I started medical school at age 31, married with six kids. Only applied to two schools, accepted at one, rejected by the other. Am now in practice-boarded in FP but having worked in EM and Urgent Care. DWP