This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jamaria

Reaction score
I had made a previous post about an upcoming OAT and here's how I did:
QR 390
RC 350
Bio 340
GenChem 340
OChem 340
Physics 350
TS 350
AA 350
I'm pretty happy with the scores - i've never had more anxiety from an exam and i'm relieved it's over. I'm applying this upcoming cycle and would have a much stronger application if not for my GPA.
My GPA is awful at a 2.83. I’m non-traditional: graduated 4 years ago, had several personal issues and poor choices in undergrad, lost all motivation and drive. I was a young student yet graduated with my bachelors at the age of 20. I was young, immature, and didn’t know what I wanted. I’ve spent the last 2 years retaking classes with nothing but As and a couple Bs, though unfortunately it’s much easier to wreck a GPA than fix it. My experience is fantastic - I’m a certified ophthalmic scribe whose entire career has been shadowing ODs and MDs in a high volume ophthalmic practice with several specialities and offices (6,500+ hours). Additional shadowing with smaller optometry practices with 3 different ODs = 20 hours. I've volunteered at two local community days where we provided free eye exams and glasses to inner city families. I’ve also gone on an optometry mission trip in a 3rd world country. My recommendation letters come from a previous president of the optometric association (an OD), the CEO of our practice (also an OD), the ophthalmologist who opened the practice who has numerous “Best Doctor” awards, a professor, and another specialty ophthalmologist.

With a strong personal statement and all the aforementioned, do you think admissions could look past a GPA? I'm applying to ~10 schools.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm pretty sure there's about a 1:1 ratio for applicants to spots across all optometry schools. If you're mobile, somewhere will take you. You would be far from the worst profile admitted in your admission cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had made a previous post about an upcoming OAT and here's how I did:
QR 390
RC 350
Bio 340
GenChem 340
OChem 340
Physics 350
TS 350
AA 350
I'm pretty happy with the scores - i've never had more anxiety from an exam and i'm relieved it's over. I'm applying this upcoming cycle and would have a much stronger application if not for my GPA.
My GPA is awful at a 2.83. I’m non-traditional: graduated 4 years ago, had several personal issues and poor choices in undergrad, lost all motivation and drive. I was a young student yet graduated with my bachelors at the age of 20. I was young, immature, and didn’t know what I wanted. I’ve spent the last 2 years retaking classes with nothing but As and a couple Bs, though unfortunately it’s much easier to wreck a GPA than fix it. My experience is fantastic - I’m a certified ophthalmic scribe whose entire career has been shadowing ODs and MDs in a high volume ophthalmic practice with several specialities and offices (6,500+ hours). Additional shadowing with smaller optometry practices with 3 different ODs = 20 hours. I've volunteered at two local community days where we provided free eye exams and glasses to inner city families. I’ve also gone on an optometry mission trip in a 3rd world country. My recommendation letters come from a previous president of the optometric association (an OD), the CEO of our practice (also an OD), the ophthalmologist who opened the practice who has numerous “Best Doctor” awards, a professor, and another specialty ophthalmologist.

With a strong personal statement and all the aforementioned, do you think admissions could look past a GPA? I'm applying to ~10 schools.
from my experience and what ive seen, All they care about is OAT. youve got a solid chance

I’m non-traditional as well with a slightly better OAT and worse GPA. I got in several places, one w/ a scholarship. You’ll be fine. Good luck!

Your GPA is not the best but your OAT scores and resume experience are very strong to help balance it out.

I'm pretty sure there's about a 1:1 ratio for applicants to spots across all optometry schools. If you're mobile, somewhere will take you. You would be far from the worst profile admitted in your admission cycle.
Wow the ratio is worse than I thought, which was 1.1 applications for every seat.

Reactions: 1 user
Your stats are pretty solid. Good luck!