Applying for PGY2 residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pion

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm curious what the experience of applying for a PGY2 residency is like, and how it differs from PGY1. I'm currently a resident trying to make up my mind about applying for another year. I don't mind being a resident and I'd like to guarantee myself a clinical position eventually, and keep open the option to go into academia. Unfortunately my program does not have any PGY2 positions, nor are there any in my city that interest me (EM or critical care).

My main questions are: is it tough to get a PGY2 spot at institutions that already have PGY1 residents? I imagine the second year positions often go to standout residents from the first year.

Secondly, how competitive are PGY2s? I imagine not as bad as PGY1 but I am definitely starting to see that clinical positions are far from guaranteed even for PGY1 grads...my own hospital recently hired two residency-trained pharmacists for evening staffing shifts.

Lastly, is there an expectation from PGY2 programs that you will have a publication from your PGY1 project? Frankly I don't think PGY1 residencies are really designed to produce a publication-quality research project, but maybe I'm just an underachiever. I certainly am not going to be publishing mine.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Although it depends on the program, I think a PGY2 interview is generally more personable because most programs have fewer interview spots than a PGY1 program -- therefore, fewer candidates are invited for interviews.

My main questions are: is it tough to get a PGY2 spot at institutions that already have PGY1 residents? I imagine the second year positions often go to standout residents from the first year.

Again, it depends on the program, but not necessarily. Some programs do not have "standout" PGY1 residents, or PGY1's who are interested in a given PGY2 spot. It depends year-to-year. If you're interested in specializing in EM or critical care, it's definitely worth your time to seek out PGY2 programs regardless of the perceived competition.

Secondly, how competitive are PGY2s? I imagine not as bad as PGY1 but I am definitely starting to see that clinical positions are far from guaranteed even for PGY1 grads...my own hospital recently hired two residency-trained pharmacists for evening staffing shifts.

In 2012, there were 498 PGY2 candidates participating in the match, and 326 matched (65% successful match rate). For comparison, there were 3706 PGY1 candidates, and 2268 matched (61% successful match rate). In my mind, PGY2's are just as competitive.

You're correct that clinical positions are not guaranteed for PGY1 graduates, especially in larger cities (Chicago). A PGY2 isn't required to be clinical, but it helps a lot.

Lastly, is there an expectation from PGY2 programs that you will have a publication from your PGY1 project?

This is not an expectation, but would obviously look good. During a PGY2 interview, you might be asked to explain your project (how it was designed, current progress, plans with the data, etc.) The quality of your project and your opinion/approach, regardless of its publication potential, are very important.