Applying for licensure in NY from CA school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jyw003

just moving along.....PharmD, BCPS, BCPP, APP
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good morning everyone,

Can anyone shed some insight on the process of applying for NY state license coming from outside of NY? I am currently attending school in CA but will be heading to NY for residency. Seems like everyone is just telling me to fill out Form 1 for now. What about hours? I am a bit confused on how I am supposed to deal with that now. I emailed the board of pharmacy in NY and I am awaiting a response. Any insight would be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Good morning everyone,

Can anyone shed some insight on the process of applying for NY state license coming from outside of NY? I am currently attending school in CA but will be heading to NY for residency. Seems like everyone is just telling me to fill out Form 1 for now. What about hours? I am a bit confused on how I am supposed to deal with that now. I emailed the board of pharmacy in NY and I am awaiting a response. Any insight would be highly appreciated.

Thanks

I grew up in CA and just graduated UCSF past week and filed all my paperwork since I am moving to NYC next Tuesday, yay ! Does your residency exempt you from taking compounding exam ? Otherwise if not, I hope you filed castle form that was due April 1st.

Basically you needed to have filed by April 1st as explained to me by board members:

- Form 1
- Form 2 ( first version of form two with projected graduation date), second version of the form is to be submitted by registar office once you degree is conferred, its identical to the first version you should have sent in before April 1 with the exception that they verify your actual graduation not just the projected date
- Form 3 is the castle form for the compounding exam in June.

Once you send in second version of form two, in the meanwhile register for Naplex and MPJE and pay the fees on the site, once the board will send you eligibility to test when they determine you are eligible and then subsequently you can actually sign up for the test days to take those two exams. Does that make sense ?

Last but not least you don't need to submitt hours verification form like we do here in CA because you are a graduate from ACPE accredited school and are exempt for intern hours requirement.

Where are you doing your residency if you dont mind me asking ? Wanna study for compounding together ? I plan I taking Dr Cutie course :)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Lastly if you have questions, always call the board.They can be a bit rushed at times but bottom line very incredibly helpful. I called at least 3 times and spent for sure an hour with them on the phone overall with them explaining all this stuff to me.

Thank you!!! Unfortunately, I am still on my last rotation! So I quickly filled out Form 1 (still need notary) and I'll mail Form 2 to my school by the end of the week. I am sooooo thankful for your post! I contacted the board actually and they just referred me to the website =/. Fortunately though, compounding is available for us at my institution!

Thank you!!! Unfortunately, I am still on my last rotation! So I quickly filled out Form 1 (still need notary) and I'll mail Form 2 to my school by the end of the week. I am sooooo thankful for your post! I contacted the board actually and they just referred me to the website =/. Fortunately though, compounding is available for us at my institution!

to anyone that still hasn't mailed in Form 1 I'm not sure you can sit for the compounding in June, unfortunately the state is very strict about meeting the deadlines. Also, the third party that administers the test is very strict about it as well. I hope you didn't miss the boat!

eek!! I'm surprised the residency program didn't make sure to go over the deadlines with you. I go to school in NYS and did match at a NYS residency program as well, but they made sure to discuss this issue at the interview day with myself and the other applicants. The state BOP is generally considered to be very strict about the April 1st deadline but you never know. It might not be a bad idea to reach out to your RPD to see if they have any guidance.

eek!! I'm surprised the residency program didn't make sure to go over the deadlines with you. I go to school in NYS and did match at a NYS residency program as well, but they made sure to discuss this issue at the interview day with myself and the other applicants. The state BOP is generally considered to be very strict about the April 1st deadline but you never know. It might not be a bad idea to reach out to your RPD to see if they have any guidance.

That's a good advice. Kenzi, btw are you taking any compounding prep courses. Do you have any recs which one to take to prepare for a web lab ? I just found out my testing location on Friday for the June exam.

That's a good advice. Kenzi, btw are you taking any compounding prep courses. Do you have any recs which one to take to prepare for a web lab ? I just found out my testing location on Friday for the June exam.

I actually took Part III last June because I had enough intern hours to take it early rather than wait til after graduation. Where will you be? I think most of the SOPs have review classes so personally I would base it on where ever you'll be (Albany, Buffalo, Rochester, downstate, etc)