General Admissions & OTCAS Applying for Grad. School - Academic Infraction?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

INeedToChill

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

Err, so I'm applying to grad school this year for MOT. My first application is for West Coast University in Los Angeles, CA.

There's this one part of the application that asks, "Have you ever been disciplined by any college, university, or professional school for: (1) unacceptable academic performance (academic probation, suspension, dismissal, etc.) or (2) conduct violations?" I'm not proud to mention this, but I was under academic probation a couple of times during my undergraduate years. I was struggling a lot due to financial, personal, and familial reasons. I guess I can add that I was undergoing counseling at that time. I'm feeling a lot better now, and my grades are so much better than the first couple of years. Here are my current stats:

Undergraduate GPA: 2.62
Cumulative GPA: 2.85
Last 60-Unit GPA: 3.7
Prerequisite GPA: 3.63
Volunteer Hours: 74.5 for inpatient rehabilitation, 25 for hospital, and 30 for outpatient pediatrics clinic -- totaling to 129.5 hours.

My question is if my academic probation will negatively affect my application. I'm afraid that this may be the reason I'll be rejected to grad school, despite being able to make it up now. Can someone please give me input in this situation? Thank you so much, and good luck to you all!

Members don't see this ad.

Also have this question! I was written up the first weekend of freshman year for alcohol and was put on "disciplinary reprimand" which is below disciplinary probation.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I haven't applied yet, but I'm pretty sure there are supplemental essays where you can explain any academic problems you had. Your reasons seem acceptable and you can also talk about how you overcame those problems. I think schools understand that life happens. As long as you communicate clearly with them, they'll take it into consideration and you should be fine.