Applying for Fall 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eardocsavvy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I graduated in May majoring in speech path and audiology. I am taking time off and working as an audiology technician at a hospital. I am considering applying to a total of 6 programs. I was wondering if those who have gotten into the following programs could tell me something about them (how competitive your GPA/GRE scores were and how the program is)

University of Minnesota
University of Northern Colorado
Salus
University of Nebraska

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,
I graduated in May majoring in speech path and audiology. I am taking time off and working as an audiology technician at a hospital. I am considering applying to a total of 6 programs. I was wondering if those who have gotten into the following programs could tell me something about them (how competitive your GPA/GRE scores were and how the program is)

University of Minnesota
University of Northern Colorado
Salus
University of Nebraska

Thanks!
University of MinnesotaAverage GPA: 3.63 Average GRE score: 485 verbal, 591 quantitative, 4.8 analytical writing
University of Northern Colorado3.64 Average GRE score: 497 verbal, 611 quantitative, 4.3 analytical writing
Salus
University of Nebraska

Anyone from AT-Still??

I would like to know about their program. Thank you very much

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone from AT-Still??

Average GPA: 3.29 Average GRE score: 422 verbal, 483 quantitative, 3.8 analytical writing

Anyone from AT-Still??

As far as GRE scores, they just wanted to know that you took them. Keep in mind I came in 2007. As far as, GPA, they wanted you to have 2.5 cum, and 3.0 in all of your sciences.

Is there anyone out there applying for fall 2010??

I'll be applying for fall 2010! Where? Well I have no idea yet.

I'll be applying for fall 2010! Where? Well I have no idea yet.

No idea yet! Have you taken the GRE?
It would be a good idea to start looking at programs as the deadlines are approaching (Jan/Feb 2010)

Thanks!

It would be a good idea to start looking at programs as the deadlines are approaching (Jan/Feb 2010)

Thanks!
Oh yeah, I've been looking at programs, but as far as deciding which ones to apply to, that's where I'm not sure. I'm also trying to decide if I want to go for my AuD, PhD, or Dual PhD/AuD (or PhD with my CCC-A). Practice definitely interests me, but long term I think I would enjoy teaching eventually as well which at the moment necessitates a PhD.

Thanks!
I haven't taken the actual GRE yet but I have done a practice test and made a 1250 on that.

I haven't taken the actual GRE yet but I have done a practice test and made a 1250 on that.

well that is awesome, that's a good score. You should do fine. Well programs that have the dual PhD and Au.D would be nice but you can always go for your PhD after. I think for now I am going to do the Au.D option I am not sure I want my C's so teaching would be tougher without my C's.
Where did you go to Undergrad?

I'm at Harding University. It's a Christian college in Arkansas. I'm double majoring in CSD and Spanish. How about you?

I'm at Harding University. It's a Christian college in Arkansas. I'm double majoring in CSD and Spanish. How about you?

I graduated from the University of Nevada this past May. I am taking some time off and working as an Audiology Technician at a hospital. I am enjoying it but I am ready to get started with school again. Well what schools are you looking at applying to?

Thanks

I graduated from the University of Nevada this past May. I am taking some time off and working as an Audiology Technician at a hospital. I am enjoying it but I am ready to get started with school again. Well what schools are you looking at applying to?

Thanks
What exactly do you do as an audiologic tech? I'm probably only going to be part time in the spring so if I could maybe find a job like that it would be sweet for 9 months or so. I'm looking at Pitt, UMass, Ohio State, UAMS, Missouri State, maybe Cincinnati, Minnesota, Arizona State, and I may just throw in an app at Vandy just to see what happens. Being a male finally is in my advantage in this field (yay for being in the minority lol). Where are you looking?

What exactly do you do as an audiologic tech? I'm probably only going to be part time in the spring so if I could maybe find a job like that it would be sweet for 9 months or so. I'm looking at Pitt, UMass, Ohio State, UAMS, Missouri State, maybe Cincinnati, Minnesota, Arizona State, and I may just throw in an app at Vandy just to see what happens. Being a male finally is in my advantage in this field (yay for being in the minority lol). Where are you looking?

Yea being a male is certainly a plus in this field of study. I graduated with a guy who went to Utah for Audiology and he got a full ride to Colorado but chose Utah for some reason, good stuff. Can you do part time? I am almost sure that schools are all full time study.. Let me know if you find any part time programs, that would be interesting. As an Audiology Technician I do a lot of hearing aid repairs, making appointments, HA orientation, make presentations about hearing aids and a little aural rehabilitation. It is a great experience and I am gaining a bunch of knowledge that I did not learn in school. I work with wonderful Audiologists, so that helps too. I almost wanted to apply to Pitt but their program does not appeal to me. I did visit Salus in Philidelphia and their program was interesting to say the least. It was a nice area but its so different from the west. I really want to go to Minnesota so we will see, but I am mainly looking at UNC, AT Still (AZ), University of Texas Austin, Minnesota, Nebraska and maybe one more... I will not give Vandy my money, cause I know I will not get in. :) Wish you the best of luck

By part time, I just meant my final semester of undergrad classes will be part time. I only have 2 classes left I need to take after this semester, so if I could find a job to last me till next fall when I start grad school, that's what I was referring to. I don't know of any part time grad programs either.

Does anyone know anything about University of Utah or Louisiana State Med Center's programs?

Does anyone know anything about University of Utah or Louisiana State Med Center's programs?

I have a friend who is going to Utah and he loves it. Look at the websites.. I am not applying to either so I don't know much about them, sorry.

Have you checked out the City University of New York: CUNY Hunter? I went there and gained a lot of great experience at the top hospitals in the city.

Oh yeah, I've been looking at programs, but as far as deciding which ones to apply to, that's where I'm not sure. I'm also trying to decide if I want to go for my AuD, PhD, or Dual PhD/AuD (or PhD with my CCC-A). Practice definitely interests me, but long term I think I would enjoy teaching eventually as well which at the moment necessitates a PhD.

actually you can find clinical instructor positions that only require an Au.D. and experience. but if you are looking for full professorship and research obligations, that usually requires a Ph.D.

Have you found anything out about LSU? Have you been to Louisiana before?