Applying for Fall 2010 (formerly the Class of 2014!)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
TOP!

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AckvdGbk4w[/YOUTUBE]

Just carrying over a little pre-allo tradition. :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad.

It is horrible because that is where I am applying too as well. No taking any spots there :smuggrin:. Just kidding good luck to you as well.
lol, I had a hunch thats why

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't, but I took it in January. I didn't think it was worth it. Its frustrating, if they have the ability to give you your score online, why not just do it

Well I took the PCAT in July and noticed that exactly at 4 weeks they had them up to where you could view them online. About a week later I received it in the mail.

Once you know that you are capable of viewing your scores...your going to do it. :D

Hahaha. I wouldn't. I'd be too scared to look. ;)

Unrelated: I just thought this was funny and wanted to share.

Tonight at the pharmacy, THREE times I was the go-to guy when a spanish-speaker came in. haha, each time, the person tried asking a hispanic girl I work with something, and she would just say "Sorry, I have no idea how to speak spanish."

Here's to taking Spanish in high school all those years ago. :laugh:

I do that all the time. Everyone always tries to speak to me in Spanish and I just say- I don't know? I actually do speak some Spanish, but the majority of Miami is Cuban, and that's usually the hardest Spanish to understand. I can really only understand Spaniards and South Americans (like Colombians and Venezuelans) the best. I know a lot of people who do that. It's easier to just pretend like you don't know than to embarrass your heritage by butchering the language. haha

It's funny you say that though because at the pharmacy I volunteer at EVERYONE speaks Spanish... and I'm talking like... it's their first language. A lot of the techs and nurses will have full blown conversations in Spanish, but there is one girl from Missouri who I feel bad for because she never knows what they're saying. It's never anything bad, but I think it's frustrating to her. lol

My mom says I better start talking to people in Spanish again though because I won't be able to get a job later on. I think it will come back to me quickly enough when I direly need it. lol

But that is one thing I am going to miss in Miami... stocking respiratory medicine while the pharmacy is blasting salsa and reggaeton and everyone is drinking espresso. lol

Members don't see this ad :)
You'd do well to get a hang of speaking Spanish if you come out here to CA - Everyone loves the fact that I can counsel in three languages. It makes me immediately more valuable than any other volunteer and technician, and I know that'll translate into making me also a more valuable pharmacist.

I had a bad experience with a patient today. He kept asking if we sold olive oil capsules, and I repeatedly told him no. He then said "it's called (some gibberish) in spanish. Don't you have any Mexicans I can talk to?" "Nope, I'm the only Spanish-speaker working." "I need to transfer my meds to a real pharmacy, not one with just white boys behind the counter."

I wish I could have thrown something at him.

I had a bad experience with a patient today. He kept asking if we sold olive oil capsules, and I repeatedly told him no. He then said "it's called (some gibberish) in spanish. Don't you have any Mexicans I can talk to?" "Nope, I'm the only Spanish-speaker working." "I need to transfer my meds to a real pharmacy, not one with just white boys behind the counter."

I wish I could have thrown something at him.

Why didn't you? I would have.:smuggrin:

Jk.

I think I just found my biggest weakness. My expectation for some kind of middle ground from citizens who come from a country whose national language is something besides English.

I'm not saying you have to speak perfect clear English with a British accent... but please don't come down on me when I'm the only one there who can speak your language and I don't have a mastery of it. It was an option for me to learn Spanish, and one I sometimes regret.

I think I just found my biggest weakness. My expectation for some kind of middle ground from citizens who come from a country whose national language is something besides English.

I'm not saying you have to speak perfect clear English with a British accent... but please don't come down on me when I'm the only one there who can speak your language and I don't have a mastery of it. It was an option for me to learn Spanish, and one I sometimes regret.

I'm really shocked that he wasn't completely grateful of your ability to even ATTEMPT to speak Spanish! Whenever I use Spanish or Farsi/Arabic to converse with a pt or customer, even if I mess some of the medical jargon up, they're insanely grateful... I guess his business isn't much of a loss, really.

Unfortunately, there are *****s and ingrates around of every variety. I think in a country like America that prides itself on being a "melting pot" and one of the most, if not the most diverse, "cultures" in the planet, that more of an emphasis should be placed on secondary language/tertiary language from an early age. I don't think American-English will forever be the "world's" language of business, but rather will be surpassed in usefulness by Mandarin or Cantonese in the next couple of decades.

Oh well.

I knew his words had nothing to back them up. He'll keep coming to Big Name Pharmacy because our prices are pretty much lower than anyone else's in town. He's a known problem patient and one reason I dread going to work.

Honestly, like any other profession, pharmacy has great and terrible days, but how retail pharmacists can keep at this >10 years is beyond me.

Last edited:
I knew his words had nothing to back them up. He'll keep coming to Big Name Pharmacy because our prices are pretty much lower than anyone else's in town. He's a known problem patient and one reason I dread going to work.

Honestly, like any other profession, pharmacy has great and terrible days, but how retail pharmacists can keep at this more >10 years is beyond me.
ya, today was one of those for me. MD writes invalid strength, meds that aren't made anymore, forgets directions, PA's, etc. and my favorite "Anything IEHP doesn't cover, medical will. Why is this med not covered"?

I'll just hope for one of those good days tomorrow

That is exactly how it is here in Miami too. You will get crucified if you don't know it. lol I'm grateful that I started learning it at a young age because it's easier for me to remember once I start using it, but I'm very patriotic so I love my English = )

How many of us are taking courses at a CC? I've almost got a bachelors through a military-friendly school in New York, so I ended up taking all of my pre-pharmacy stuff at a local CC here in Texas.

Any opinions on Phi Theta Kappa?

I am taking all of my pre-reqs at my local CC. I am also in the Phi Theta Kappa at my school. Not sure how it works in pharmacy school in regards to any kinda honor's programs.

Hey I haven't checked it in a while so that is cool. ;)

Anyone else spending the $20 to see your PCAT scores online earlier?

I spent the $20 to see them online. Then 2 hours later the mailman dropped off a nice paper copy for me :laugh: Thats ok though I was so happy with my results that I barely paused from my little happy dance.

What's Phi Theta Kappa like? Is there anything special about it?

It is just for recognition purposes. You become a lifetime member. Get discounts with FORD, I believe, get a whole lot of opportunities for scholarships, graduate from CC with honors. Plus, it looks good on your application and resume.

woop woop

class of '14 ... hopefully

I'm applying to UoP (CA), UCSD, pittsburg, and buffalo

:xf:

that's why you work out secret signs, etc. If someone at an interview doesn't signal back, he's not one of us.

Eliminate him. :)

I knew that I took those two semesters of sign language for a reason.

Grrrrrr more competition :smuggrin:

I know that comment was a joke, but there's a little bit of truth in there. lots of competition at buffalo, and it's a pretty tough school to get into, so get used to seeing more and more "I'm applying to buffalo" topics popping up.;) I know, it hurt seeing it last round of admissions, but it hurts even more this round since I'M applying to the pharm.d. program at UB as well!

But I do like the campus here at buffalo. Finishing my BA in chem this year. Here's hoping I get in and don't have to move to another school again!:xf:

I spoke to our Phi Theta Kappa advisor and it looks like I'll be initiated in November. Did you pursue "advanced level" membership? I figure I've only got the Spring semester to earn any "points."

Anyone else doing this?

I will only be inducted next month, October 7 I believe, but I am not sure about the advanced level membership. What I do know is that you become a lifetime member and it might be a stepping stone to get into Phi Beta Kappa...who knows. :D

I know that comment was a joke, but there's a little bit of truth in there. lots of competition at buffalo, and it's a pretty tough school to get into, so get used to seeing more and more "I'm applying to buffalo" topics popping up.;) I know, it hurt seeing it last round of admissions, but it hurts even more this round since I'M applying to the pharm.d. program at UB as well!

But I do like the campus here at buffalo. Finishing my BA in chem this year. Here's hoping I get in and don't have to move to another school again!:xf:

I finish my BA in chemistry this semester at UB. Just finishing up CHE 215, 321 and 349 there. Good luck hopefully there is enough room for both of us in the pharmacy program. :D

I will only be inducted next month, October 7 I believe, but I am not sure about the advanced level membership. What I do know is that you become a lifetime member and it might be a stepping stone to get into Phi Beta Kappa...who knows. :D

According to wikipedia, ptk is having their next international meeting in Grapevine, TX in April.

Talk about timing. :luck:

EDIT:

Disregard. Yeah, wikipedia got me. According to the ptk site, their next convention is in Orlando, FL. So much for that.

Last edited:
I finish my BA in chemistry this semester at UB. Just finishing up CHE 215, 321 and 349 there. Good luck hopefully there is enough room for both of us in the pharmacy program. :D

nice, I'm in 321, 349, and 214 (along with 4 other courses...) 22 credits of funtastic fun.

nice, I'm in 321, 349, and 214 (along with 4 other courses...) 22 credits of funtastic fun.

Ouch, if you like math at least 214 will be a piece of cake. I have it easy this semester since I only needed 9 credits to graduate and I just added a random psych class to get myself up to full time status. Try not to wreck the curve in 321 and 349 on me though. :p

I'd ask the same of you first! 15 weeks of having no life...all for the future I guess, right? I don't "like" math, but I don't find it too hard. I'm guessing it's just going to be a bunch of chem lab-esque calculations.

I'm pretty sure I'm the only person to ever use "lab-esque"

According to wikipedia, ptk is having their next international meeting in Grapevine, TX in April.

Talk about timing. :luck:

EDIT:

Disregard. Yeah, wikipedia got me. According to the ptk site, their next convention is in Orlando, FL. So much for that.

Yeah the previous convention was in Grapevine, TX earlier this year.

How many of us are taking courses at a CC? I've almost got a bachelors through a military-friendly school in New York, so I ended up taking all of my pre-pharmacy stuff at a local CC here in Texas.

Any opinions on Phi Theta Kappa?

i already have my degree, but i'm taking almost all my sciences at a CC. anyone applying to UK?

if i don't get in early decision, i'll be applying to UoP, UCSD, UMD, UF, and UNC

Last edited by a moderator:
i already have my degree, but i'm not taking almost all my sciences at a CC. anyone applying to UK?

if i don't get in early decision, i'll be applying to UoP, UCSD, UMD, UF, and UNC

You've got a pretty broad spread of schools going there. Not worried about non-resident tuition?

Some mornings I need the coffee. Yesterday was one of those mornings. Our stats teacher takes things niiiiiice and slooooooooow, and then I have a government teacher whose mouth starts moving at 11:00 and doesn't stop for an hour and a half. Then comes World Literature, where our teacher compares everything to the Bible.

(not bringing up religion, just saying that maybe it isn't appropriate in a public college world lit class to compare the Greek parthenon to the "monotheism that we all practice")

You've got a pretty broad spread of schools going there. Not worried about non-resident tuition?

Some mornings I need the coffee. Yesterday was one of those mornings. Our stats teacher takes things niiiiiice and slooooooooow, and then I have a government teacher whose mouth starts moving at 11:00 and doesn't stop for an hour and a half. Then comes World Literature, where our teacher compares everything to the Bible.

(not bringing up religion, just saying that maybe it isn't appropriate in a public college world lit class to compare the Greek parthenon to the "monotheism that we all practice")

I have had teachers like this in the past. You would literally be sleeping with your eyes wide open.

It seems weird to me to see people already in school. I still have 20 more days of summer to enjoy =)
But spring ends later for also...

Mmm for some reason I absolutely hate coffee. It might come in handy for pharmacy school though.:)
Do you just stick to Rockstar or Monster's then?
Or go all out and just take caffeine tablets?