Applying for 2 different Residencies at same school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigfrank

SDN Donor
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone ever do this (crazy) thing?

I am actually considering applying to 2 different specialties because I really want to stay at my current location and like the 2 specialties very much (PM&R, anes); rather, the same subspecialty of both -- pain mgmt

Has anyone else ever done this, and if so, has it ever come back to bite them in the rump?

I don't want to screw this up, don't want to talk to PDs, don't want to mention it to the dean, just because I don't even know if it's P.C. or not.

Can anyone help me out here?

Thanks!

Frank

:p

Members don't see this ad.

i did it too :) and I recieved interview from both programs...well I dont think this could be threatening. I talked to one PD last year - she told me that they dont get in touched with other PD's. I personaly think it's not a good idea to like more than one program (as is to love more than one woman or man :), or is it not??)
btw, I am FMG - i might dont know many things (i mean in the field of application process...u know:)

Since you are applying to two programs with a similar end in mind it seems reasonable to me-you might even be able to use it to your advantage and get perspectives on how each specialty deals with pain management, and how they differ. I think it really turns programs off more if the programs are really dissimilar (say-neurosurgery and pediatrics).

how similar would orthopedic surgery with internal medicine as a back up be - knowing how tough radiology (which I think is similar to orthopedic surgery) is?

I dont see a problem with the application process as Internal Medicine programs for the most part are fairly easy to match into.I think most ortho people would be miserable in Internal Medicine it is so different.I would think that a better back up would be general surgery, or a procedure laden field such as anesthesiology.these are not too difficult a match.