Applying FM with a red flag

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Reader88

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
does reckless driving == dui or speeding?
I was trying to prevent going into details but it was actually a school bus stop arm violation. It was an accident, I would never intentionally pass one (I don’t even ever speed) and it’s a big deal.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that this is a violation in most states rather than a misdemeanor? I doubt it would be a huge deal to most residencies.

I would say that it may be better to have Dean or MSPE evaluation note what the charge was for. In most cases, people assume reckless driving is a DUI. I imagine that this type of perception could hurt at some programs. But passing a bus? I doubt it. Just don’t do it again.

My statement assumes that it is a misdemeanor for which you are convicted. Obviously don’t have them mention it if it is a violation or you don’t get convicted

Reactions: 1 user
Why do you keep saying “it was a mistake” or “it was an accident”?
Insist that your lawyer move quickly so it’s either cleared by the time you apply or you’ll know what to do.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Why do you keep saying “it was a mistake” or “it was an accident”?
Insist that your lawyer move quickly so it’s either cleared by the time you apply or you’ll know what to do.

Last edited:
  • Hmm
So you were following too closely and were unable to stop in time? That sounds like it might be considered your fault....

Reactions: 1 user
Hopefully you can get this reduced. Then it won't be an issue.

I went to school in VA and it is a misdemeanor reckless driving if you get pulled over for going 20 or more mph over the speed limit. I got pulled over going 55 in a 35. It was a road near where I lived that I traveled all the time and was just complacent about it one day. Anyway, I got the speed reduced so I was not charged with a misdemeanor (still remember having to pay a pretty penny).

Good luck on getting this reduced. If you don't, you will have to report it. However, I think programs will see an explanation of it and not care as much about is as say a drug/alcohol infraction or an academic red flag like cheating.