Applying ENT = reaching for the stars!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ENThopeful2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am finishing third year at one of the top 40 medical schools (based on NIH research funding). Step 1: mid 240s, clerkship grade: completed 6 clerkships so far (half Honors, half High passess), AOA: not likely, research: no publications, few posters/abstracts in fields other than ENT.

Became interested in ENT after exposure to the field during surgery clerkship. Recently met with the dean of the students to seek guidance with my residency application. I was told by the dean, if I were to apply for ENT, I would be reaching for the stars and my chance of matching into ENT is low.

Would very much appreciate the opinions of those familiar with the ENT residency competitiveness. Is ENT as competitive as my dean put it? Should I give up on ENT and start thinking about another field? What’s your thought on taking a year off to do research?

Members don't see this ad.

Honors in surgery and medicine are good things. If you could get involved in a research project before applications are due that would also be a huge help. See neutropenia boy's post on other general advice, he covers a lot of important information. Setting up an away and a sub I at your program would need to be done soon. See previous threads about pros/cons of away rotations.

Deans are not always the most helpful. Meet with either the chairman or program director of the otolaryngology program for advice. If you think you will interview well during the interview process, that will make it easier to match.

You just have to decide how bad you want it.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using SDN Mobile

Last edited:
Your stats are pretty average for matched applicants. You must must must get some ENT research going ASAP.

I am finishing third year at one of the top 40 medical schools (based on NIH research funding). Step 1: mid 240s, clerkship grade: completed 6 clerkships so far (half Honors, half High passess), AOA: not likely, research: no publications, few posters/abstracts in fields other than ENT.

Became interested in ENT after exposure to the field during surgery clerkship. Recently met with the dean of the students to seek guidance with my residency application. I was told by the dean, if I were to apply for ENT, I would be reaching for the stars and my chance of matching into ENT is low.

Would very much appreciate the opinions of those familiar with the ENT residency competitiveness. Is ENT as competitive as my dean put it? Should I give up on ENT and start thinking about another field? What’s your thought on taking a year off to do research?

Your dean might have been too discouraging IMO. I agree with others. Meet with your school's ENT faculty and get involved in research quick. There is still a time to publish an abstract/case report if opportunities arise, and at least you can list ENT research projects on ERAS.

Your stats aren't super impressive, but I know a few residents with your numbers who have matched at solid programs in the past.

If you shoot for one of the reach programs, do an away but make sure everybody there will love you.

One thing that can also help you at this point is taking your Step 2CK early, meaning right after M3. Get at least 250s if possible. Good luck.