Apply this cycle or next? (low GPA)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gexr

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Background: 28 M / URM HISPANIC / NONTRAD / FIRST-GEN / DISADVANTAGED / AAMC FAP

Experience:
- gardener straight out of high school lol (3 years)
- Kitchen assistant at nursing home (2 years)
- Food service worker (served meals) at veterans hospital (1 year)
- Science tutor at my old CC (3 years)
- Shadowed vascular surgeon (60 hours)
- Volunteered at surgical, trauma, & transplant ICU (200 hours)
- started a health science club at my old CC. worked with counselor to make presentations for science major students
- completed a summer health program at UCLA med school where I got experience in problem based learning. Presented a research paper to the dean of med school on health disparities (part of the program) (rumors are that being in the program guarantees interview there but idk with my gpa lol)

So I graduated high school with around a 1.5 GPA (LOL) due to just not taking school seriously after my father past and having to work at a relative young age. So right after high school I've maintained a full-time job to this day.
Enrolled into CC after 4 years after high school and decided the pre-med route due to multiple reasons. School in my family is not important, nor has anyone even stepped foot in a college. The years-long process has been lonely when it comes to school and stuff. Anyway, I transferred to UCLA as a molecular bio major (quarter system ate me alive) and graduate this year. cGPA (UCLA and CC) = 3.1 GPA and sGPA = 3.1 also. My trend has been steady, no major upward trend. Did pretty well in the pre-reqs, As and Bs. Physics and math courses dropped my GPA a lot lol.

I've been studying for the MCAT about 4 months now, plan on taking it may for June scores. I've been giving it my all on the mcat studying cause I feel like that will save me lol. Uworld, AnkingDeck, Kaplan combination. But Im thinking whether to do a post-bacc instead of applying cause of the low GPA.
No money and time for formal post-bacc so I will probably do an "extension" program at a UC and take random science classes that I haven't taken. I've already taken most of the science classes at CC.

Any thoughts? open to opinions

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What mentoring organizations for Latinx premeds are you part of or reached out to?

Also consider joining the Becoming a Student Doctor course (your FAP status gets you free access) to help shape your application up. Connect with me if you are interested.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
You would benefit from a 1 year DIY post bacc at a local college. Take undergraduate level science courses in order to increase your sGPA. Of course, you also need to do well on the MCAT. Post your score here when available.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Background: 28 M / URM HISPANIC / NONTRAD / FIRST-GEN / DISADVANTAGED / AAMC FAP

Experience:
- started a health science club at my old CC. worked with counselor to make presentations for science major students
- completed a summer health program at UCLA med school where I got experience in problem based learning. Presented a research paper to the dean of med school on health disparities (part of the program) (rumors are that being in the program guarantees interview there but idk with my gpa lol)

So I graduated high school with around a 1.5 GPA (LOL) due to just not taking school seriously after my father past and having to work at a relative young age. So right after high school I've maintained a full-time job to this day.
Enrolled into CC after 4 years after high school and decided the pre-med route due to multiple reasons. School in my family is not important, nor has anyone even stepped foot in a college. The years-long process has been lonely when it comes to school and stuff. Anyway, I transferred to UCLA as a molecular bio major (quarter system ate me alive) and graduate this year. cGPA (UCLA and CC) = 3.1 GPA and sGPA = 3.1 also. My trend has been steady, no major upward trend. Did pretty well in the pre-reqs, As and Bs. Physics and math courses dropped my GPA a lot lol.

I've been studying for the MCAT about 4 months now, plan on taking it may for June scores. I've been giving it my all on the mcat studying cause I feel like that will save me lol. Uworld, AnkingDeck, Kaplan combination. But Im thinking whether to do a post-bacc instead of applying cause of the low GPA.
No money and time for formal post-bacc so I will probably do an "extension" program at a UC and take random science classes that I haven't taken. I've already taken most of the science classes at CC.

(The quarter system is tough!)

Informal post-bac sounds like a good idea. You need to raise that GPA. However before you graduate, also reach out to study skills centers at UCLA to improve your study skills and grades. Your grades need to go up in that informal post-bac program for it to have the desired effect.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Experience:

You working 40-hours and doing your school? That's pretty good. Unfortunately though it costs your GPA. Doing extension classes and not making time for classes is gonna land you in the same spot. Kill your next semester, maybe extra semester worth of courses and do well on your MCAT. There are some mentor orgs I'm part that can connect you with people and opportunities in CA. DM if want info.

Experience:

Low grades, but if you got a decent MCAT, you'd like to get into a DO school. If your goal is an MD, you will likely have to put at least two years of grade repair. I don't think this is wise, but to each their own

Reactions: 1 user