Apply DO for 2022-2023? ORM 513/3.86

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

highspeed983

Reaction score
I am thinking about adding a couple of DO schools to my list, but I am unsure.

My stats & current school list are here: WAMC/ School List Help 3.86/513/WARS C

I was thinking of adding NYIT, PCOM, & TouroCOM. The last thing I want to do is reapply. However, I really don't have the funds to put down a deposit if I don't have to.

Also, I can't remember the exact details, but I remember someone mentioning that you can apply to DO schools if you don't have any MD II by X date. When would that be? September? Is this advisable?

So, should I apply DO? Should I apply when the cycle opens or wait until later?

Members don't see this ad.

With those numbers, assuming the rest of your application is strong, I am confident you will be able to find a seat in an MD program. That said, if you don't want to reapply, your MCAT expires, you don't care about MDvsDO, just want to get started etc. absolutely apply DO.

The biggest negative is it's cost prohibitive to add a few more DO applications + secondaries and the hefty non-refundable deposit. However, for most schools you have until the end of the year to make a decision regarding the deposit and at the end of your career - it's a drop in the bucket.

I'd actually argue against waiting to apply to DO schools. The advice was that for a strong applicant, if complete by Thanksgiving, you're ok. Personally, I don't think this is the best advice. I say as soon as you complete your MD secondaries ~ August, submit your DO app. Someone might know the exact numbers, but NYIT and PCOM both get 10,000+ applications (just about the highest number for DO schools). You don't want to be at the back of line after submitting your app. In my opinion it's best to submit early so you get the benefit of having your app read sooner, perhaps less stringent evaluation/review that may occur earlier in the cycle, practice for later MD interviews, and the massive amount of stress reduction knowing your future is set if you get accepted into a DO school early on in the cycle vs. waiting until spring.

Having been in a similar situation and currently going through the MD and DO cycle, I applied in October/November and would 100% go back and apply DO as soon as I finished my MD secondaries for the above reasons. Others may have their own input but that's my 2 cents!

Reactions: 1 user
The above poster is correct. The DO schools listed are competitive and are receiving more applications than before. Your other post suggested you had not shadowed a physician yet. No shadowing (or a physician letter for DO schools) will hurt your chances.

Members don't see this ad :)
NO need to add DO schools with your stats and EC, unless you have a desire for OMT. You are good to go with your MD list. I have similar stats, ORM, and from a very unlucky state on the best coast. submit you primary the first day it opens, and prewrite all your secondary and submit them within 48 hours of receiving your 2nd. Have someone qualify review your primary and secondary. If you do this, you should have an MD acceptance and perhaps multiple acceptances with your school list. Also add Wake to your list b/c you have a good shot at that school too. GL.

The above poster is correct. The DO schools listed are competitive and are receiving more applications than before. Your other post suggested you had not shadowed a physician yet. No shadowing (or a physician letter for DO schools) will hurt your chances.
Sorry, should have updated. Since writing that previous post, I gained ~40 hrs shadowing with 1/2 being with a DO FM doc.

NO need to add DO schools with your stats and EC, unless you have a desire for OMT. You are good to go with your MD list. I have similar stats, ORM, and from a very unlucky state on the best coast. submit you primary the first day it opens, and prewrite all your secondary and submit them within 48 hours of receiving your 2nd. Have someone qualify review your primary and secondary. If you do this, you should have an MD acceptance and perhaps multiple acceptances with your school list. Also add Wake to your list b/c you have a good shot at that school too. GL.
Thanks! Will add WF. Any other suggestions, preferably east coast?