Apply as a Drexel IMS student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soyroger

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm starting the Drexel IMS postbac program this fall and am thinking of applying to med schools for next year. However, if I send in my application now it won't be any different from last time other than I'll be able to say that I'm enrolled in the IMS program.

After calling the Drexel admissions office they said that with my MCAT score(31S) and my science GPA (~3.1) I'm in the 'grey area'. When I got off the phone I felt less inclined to apply as I had previously planned, yet she did say that past IMS students applied successfully during their first year despite being advised to wait. Are there any former IMS students out there that applied successfully during their first year? If so, what were your stats (that is if you're comfortable listing them)? I'd especially love to hear from former IMS students that got into Drexel's med school, as that is what I'm hoping for. What did you do to promote yourself to the schools you applied to? Thanks in advance for your advice

Members don't see this ad.

I'm just not sure why people enroll in these programs.
You TOO can pay for your first year of medical school TWICE!!
That's what it boils down to - provided you do get in, of course.

Orthodoc40 said:
But you still get in. For some, that is the ultimate goal.

Members don't see this ad :)
Orthodoc40 said:

Thanks for the useless info Orthodoc40. Really, if anyone else is in the IMS or any similar postbac program I'd love to hear whether you're considering applying during the program or afterward. Thanks.

soyroger said:
Thanks for the useless info Orthodoc40. Really, if anyone else is in the IMS or any similar postbac program I'd love to hear whether you're considering applying during the program or afterward. Thanks.

Sorry - it was pretty useless. Guess I was just wondering why, since I had thought about it myself. But whatever. IF I was in the program I'd apply afterward, so I had some success in the program to report to schools.

I think people apply to these SMP programs to increase their chances to get into medical school. They provide a guaranteed interview to those meeting their criteria, they have strong affiliations and track records of putting people into medical schools in their area and abroad. They give you a glimpse into what medical school will really be like. There was more than one person in my program (Drexel IMS) who decided that medicine really wasn't for them after the first semester of coursework, thus saving themselves 100K+ in debt. It is getting increasingly difficult for non-urm's without absolutely stellar records to obtain a seat in a U.S. allopathic medical school classes and these programs, albeit expensive, may give the student a leg up in the application process. I'm not sure in the long run if the programs is much more expensive than trying to do more upper level undergraduate or graduate courses on your own. People in the program didn't get in on the first, second, third go around and this may truly be their only option other than going overseas.

Anyway, there are plenty of IMS students that applied this year with your stats. You will have the first semester of grades to show prospective schools. The average MCAT score for Drexel Med students last year was a 31. If you maintain B's or better in all your classes you will get the guaranteed interview thus negating your, "borderline", GPA. A strong showing in Drexel IMS can really really increase your chances of getting into Drexel. As far as other schools, its pretty much a crapshoot and anything can happen. Just do well in IMS and I think you will be fine.

soyroger said:

i was in the georgetown smp back in 2004-05. i applied during the smp year, but was not successful. many of my classmates, however, were successful that year (and, we were encouraged to apply). when i applied the year after the program, i was a lot more lucky - i was able to nab a handful of acceptances. i found that i had a lot more to talk about this year as opposed to when i was interviewing last year, having only completed half of the smp courses. of course, i did also gain a lot more clinical experience this year, and i have to credit that to my more successful application as well. but, having seen the difference between my application during the smp year and after the smp year, i would definitely advocate applying after the program if you are willing to spend the extra time. i mean, some people want to get into med school asap. but, if you are willing to wait a little longer so that you can rely on all of your grades and experiences during post-bac, i would recommend doing so. anyway, only my opinion. best of luck with everything.