Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi

If I worked somewhere only during the breaks, lets say during summer and winter (May-August, December-January), do I say that I have worked from May-January? (since they only want starting date and end date?)
I have asked pharmcas and they said it's a decision for me to make..:confused:

Thank you in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi

If I worked somewhere only during the breaks, lets say during summer and winter (May-August, December-January), do I say that I have worked from May-January? (since they only want starting date and end date?)
I have asked pharmcas and they said it's a decision for me to make..:confused:

Thank you in advance!!

If they've given you the choice, I'd say there are a couple things to consider.
1) Are you near the limit that area of PharmCAS (If you're limited to 5 positions, would listing them separately cause you to have to leave something else off)
2) Do you want it to appear that you had a long term of experience with low average hours, or a short term of experience with high average hours.

My personal opinion would be if you can show that you were dedicated by returning each year, and that you had a significant number of hours over each summer to show that you had sufficient time to learn/retain something valuable, then listing them separately on your application would be more impressive.

Now if doing this causes you to have to leave off other experience/jobs/volunteering. Then condensing this as one entry would probably be better so you can show diversity.

Both options have their benefits to you. I'd say it depends on factors given as to which you choose. (There may be other things to consider, this is just what I could think of.)

I am just starting to enter my grade into the system.. and oh boy.. many different schools + classes really make this process a little bit more challenging!

Members don't see this ad :)
When it asks for "credit hours," is that the same as number of (semester) units a class is worth?

if u have 5 semester units, put in 5 credit hours and hit "semester". if you have 4 quarter units, put 4 credit hours and hit "quarter"

I am just starting to enter my grade into the system.. and oh boy.. many different schools + classes really make this process a little bit more challenging!

No kidding. I had to enter from 4 different schools. Some I was at concurrently, others I'd switched back and forth. Since it wants everything chronologically I was constantly going back and forth between transcripts.

they want everything in chronological order within the school categories only right? all my grades are categorized under the schools, not one big chronoligical list

also..i was at the junior college for 3 years, and now i'm at the university and just completed my 1st year here (i have one more year)

do i put my 3 years as "fresh, soph, junior" at the JC and then put "junior" again at the university since i'm technically a junior here?

they want everything in chronological order within the school categories only right? all my grades are categorized under the schools, not one big chronoligical list

also..i was at the junior college for 3 years, and now i'm at the university and just completed my 1st year here (i have one more year)

do i put my 3 years as "fresh, soph, junior" at the JC and then put "junior" again at the university since i'm technically a junior here?

Unless the layout is different this year, which based on this years instructions, I'm thinking it's not: All JC/CC credits are lower division (Fr/Soph) and University credits are based on your schools course identification system. 100/200 or 1000/2000 classes are lower division and all 300/400 or 3000/4000 classes are upperdivision (Jr/Sr). I don't remember them classifying your year in school. If that were the case I had 3 senior years at CSUSB.

I do believe you're right in doing the units chronologically by school, rather than chronologically outright. It still took me forever and I had to startover twice because I had missed units at one school or another.

It's me again ~^^
I have a question about applying to schools that require the letter of recommendation from the pharmacist.
I am so desperate that after calling and dropping my resume to 12 retail stores, I haven't gotten any response yet. So in the case I don't have any pharmacy experiences, should I apply to some instuitions like Loma Linda, UOP, and Pacific University which require the letter of recommendation from the pharmacist

What should I do ? I am half to finish the Loma Linda application and now I am stuck there,it's such a ridiculous situation, if no one gives me the chance to work, how can I get pharmacy experiences ????

It's me again ~^^
I have a question about applying to schools that require the letter of recommendation from the pharmacist.
I am so desperate that after calling and dropping my resume to 12 retail stores, I haven't gotten any response yet. So in the case I don't have any pharmacy experiences, should I apply to some instuitions like Loma Linda, UOP, and Pacific University which require the letter of recommendation from the pharmacist

What should I do ? I am half to finish the Loma Linda application and now I am stuck there,it's such a ridiculous situation, if no one gives me the chance to work, how can I get pharmacy experiences ????

Last year UOP's website said if you haven't worked with/for a pharmacist and you didn't know a pharmacist, then request to have one interview you and see if they would write a letter of recommendation based on that interview. It's a long shot, but it might work.

I would call the schools to see if they give exceptions, but I somehow doubt they do. If you can't get an LOR from a pharmacist and they won't make an exception, then yes, save your money and don't apply to those particular schools.

Do you guys know if it is o.k. to have 2 letters from a pharmacist and one from a professor? I asked my PDM to write a letter other than the one that my pharmacy manager has and he said that won't be a good idea! Any ideas?

Do you guys know if it is o.k. to have 2 letters from a pharmacist and one from a professor? I asked my PDM to write a letter other than the one that my pharmacy manager has and he said that won't be a good idea! Any ideas?

My personal opinion would be one letter from a pharmacist who knows your work ethic and your learning curve would be fine. I'm thinking the school needs to know more how you'll handle school work so getting two LORs from professors and one from a pharmacist be more appropriate. Of course, what do I know, I didn't even get an LOR from a pharmacist to begin with.

I entered in my ECs and work experience already, but I just got a pharm tech job recently and would like to put that in. It says to rank it from most important , I want to put it on top, is there any way to switch the order instead of erasing and redoing the entries?

Members don't see this ad :)
I entered in my ECs and work experience already, but I just got a pharm tech job recently and would like to put that in. It says to rank it from most important , I want to put it on top, is there any way to switch the order instead of erasing and redoing the entries?

If there is, I don't know about it. I had to re-enter mine too.

Can you submit PharmCAS before PCAT scores come in?

does anyone know where we actually enter the AP scores?

I realized I have to re-enter all my courses (because I entered my university courses before my JC courses that I took before entering university because I didn't have my JC transcript) so I feel everyone's pain.

So now that I'm re-entering in everything I want to get it right...would AP scores go with the university courses? Like with freshman fall quarter?

Thanks!

Does anyone know if we are supposed to include hobbies anywhere on the application? I spend a lot of time cycling and I also design jewelry in my free time, and I don't know if I should put those things in Extracurricular Activities or not? I would go ahead and put it, except I don't really know what to put for "Organization Title" for either of those since they are just hobbies. Maybe I don't need to include them, but I feel like they do take up a lot of my time, especially cycling. Maybe I should just wait until I am interviewing to mention hobbies? What did other people do?

Thanks!

Hi,
I was wondering a similar thing. I spend a lot of time doing triathlon related stuff, and I think it actually is important to include this type of activity since it shows that you are more well rounded and have interests and commitments outside of studying and health care related activities. For mine I listed USAT as the organization since for triathlon stuff you have to join the national organization to race, so pretty much anyone who races is a member..

Sort of related, and people can feel free to differ, but I think it’s okay to view the PharmCAS form as more flexible than some people treat it. For instance it’s probably fine to not list an organization, but perhaps just put ‘cycling’ or if there’s a local cycling club you are a member of list that.

For instance, I have a number of papers, posters and a patent related to biochemistry research to list and there isn’t a good place, so PharmCAS recommended putting it in the extracurricular section because it has the most space to fit the publication titles in, even though it’s related to my work.. So I think the categories aren’t necessarily set in stone if that makes sense..
-Doug

Just a quick question. In PharmCAS there is a letter that is supposed to go with your transcripts right? What if my school completely does transcript requests online, as in automated? Should I sent the paper seperately myself or go to my school and see if they will send it with my transcripts?

Just a quick question. In PharmCAS there is a letter that is supposed to go with your transcripts right? What if my school completely does transcript requests online, as in automated? Should I sent the paper seperately myself or go to my school and see if they will send it with my transcripts?

I would recommend taking this form into your school's registrar and insisting that they send it in with your transcript. If you notice, there is a bar code on the top right corner of the form. I believe that this helps in processing your transcript faster. As it is, PharmCAS already takes a long time to verify your grades, why make it even slower by not including the form?

Does anyone know if we are supposed to include hobbies anywhere on the application? I spend a lot of time cycling and I also design jewelry in my free time, and I don't know if I should put those things in Extracurricular Activities or not? I would go ahead and put it, except I don't really know what to put for "Organization Title" for either of those since they are just hobbies. Maybe I don't need to include them, but I feel like they do take up a lot of my time, especially cycling. Maybe I should just wait until I am interviewing to mention hobbies? What did other people do?

Thanks!

I would mention it in one of two places, if you feel it needs to be mentioned. You could mention it in your PS or in ECs. The only issue, regardless of where, would be what you'd have to leave out to make room. The PS is your first, best effort to get them to recognize you as pharm student material, usually this doesn't involve cycling or triathlons. If these were charity events then it would show dedication to community service, but otherwise I'd only mention them if you felt is was more important than whatever else you would otherwise mention.

Sometime supplementals address hobbies, and what you do in your spare time. I'd check the supplementals for the schools before deciding one way or the other.

Hello,

I have moved a lot for a few years, and attended different colleges. Everytime, i moved to another state, I requested the official transcript from the school. I have sent these transcripts to pharmcas. They accepted without the request form from pharmcas attached.

Pharmcas just did not accept one of my transcripts because the school stamped it with issued to student. I always have many copies of my transcripts from each school. But only one school that stamped my transcript with issued to student.

Hope this will help

I am ready to submit pharmcas. However, I worried b/c one of my references have not completed the e-lor. I don't know what to do because if I submit the application, then I am not gonna be able to decline the reference of this person. I am concerned because this person is my supervisor and he is extremely busy I don't know if he will forget to do this and I will be stuck. Please help....:scared:

I am ready to submit pharmcas. However, I worried b/c one of my references have not completed the e-lor. I don't know what to do because if I submit the application, then I am not gonna be able to decline the reference of this person. I am concerned because this person is my supervisor and he is extremely busy I don't know if he will forget to do this and I will be stuck. Please help....:scared:

Let him know you are about to submit your pharmcas app, send him a friendly reminder of the deadlines, etc.

is the honors/awards section only for academic or service things? or can it be work related awards?

for scholarships that are renewed every year like the gates scholarship or something, do I put the first date I received it, or the most recent date, or what?

Hey, I'm almost done with my pharmcas app too.. Just wondering though.. I requested my PCAT score to be sent to PharmCas on 6/1 and Pharmcas is still not showing that my score has been received. How long does this usually take? I'm just wondering if it got lost in the mail somehow and if I should re-request the score to be sent.. But that's another 20 dollars. :(

From my knowledge, it takes four to six weeks for scores to be sent from Harcourt to PharmCAS.

Anyone wanna back me up on this?

1. can you send in your transcripts before you even apply? i'm planning to apply in about 2 weeks, can i send them in now?

2. do supplementals need to be completed ASAP for rolling admissions schools?

1. can you send in your transcripts before you even apply? i'm planning to apply in about 2 weeks, can i send them in now?

2. do supplementals need to be completed ASAP for rolling admissions schools?

1) Depends on what you mean by before you apply. You'd have to send them in before you e-submit, but you can't send them in before you start a PharmCAS application (otherwise what would they do with transcripts they have no PharmCAS ID for). If your talking about sending the transcripts to a non-PharmCAS school, you'd do that after you've started the application process, but they can be sent before you're done (at least if it's an online application, this is what I did with LLU's application last year). I guess the best answer is read the application instructions carefully and do what they say.

2.) Yes. Your application is not complete until they have your supplemental application. Therefore, the sooner they get your "complete" application, the sooner your application gets considered.

^oh okay...i've already started my pharmcas application (almost done) meaning i can send in my transcripts before i e-submit since i have my pharmcas ID. gotcha, thanks

If I am not wrong, you can still change your reference list after submitting.

Can someone plz answer my question, if anyone knows? a few posts up , thank you!!!!

is the honors/awards section only for academic or service things? or can it be work related awards?

for scholarships that are renewed every year like the gates scholarship or something, do I put the first date I received it, or the most recent date, or what?
i would include ANY awards in the awards section, including work related awards. If the colleges want to know more, they will ask. But since there is not really anywhere else to put it, definately include it here.

for scholarships, you should put the first date you received it and add (start year-present)

Can someone plz answer my question, if anyone knows? a few posts up , thank you!!!!

You can put any awards down =) that includes work-related awards.

You should just put down the first time you got the award and in the explanation list how many times you have received it. The Adcoms will get the point.

Hi everyone. I do not know if this is a stupid question or not, but when you enter your information on PharmCAS about who you would like to be you recommenders, does PhamCAS automatically send them an email notifying them of this or do I have to wait until I e-submit my application in order for my recommenders to be notified by PharmCAS that they were chosen to be a recommender.

I figured I would have to e-submit then PharmCAS notifies the recommenders, but I just want to make sure. Thanks.

FaB :)

Pharmcas will notify your references as soon as you list them in that section. This is before you e-submit. My references received an email the same day I listed their information!

You can use the status page to keep track of if and when they have completed the LOR. You may e-submit before they have been completed and Pharmcas will add them and forward them as received. But I prefer to wait until that section is completed.

My hardest part of this whole application.. you guys.. is my personal statement!... I can't submit it with ut finishing this..
Once I e-submited it, I can't change it...
Is it so important?

Can't wait until it is done so I can be relax and just study for PCAT.

Pharmcas will notify your references as soon as you list them in that section. This is before you e-submit. My references received an email the same day I listed their information!

You can use the status page to keep track of if and when they have completed the LOR. You may e-submit before they have been completed and Pharmcas will add them and forward them as received. But I prefer to wait until that section is completed.

Thanks for answering my question. I gotta get on top of my recommenders!!!

Is it so important?

your existence is a bunch of numbers to the adcoms until they read your personal statement. so i'd have to yes, it is very important

i am in the same situation as you--i finished my pharmcas application the first week of june and this whole time i've been working on my PS

question
what if i make a mistake in one of the questions...like for the q :what is your college status ..what if i put freshman instead of sophomore or something ? is it gona be a BIG deal?

I have a questionnnnn....
So I have to wait until august to e-submit by pharmcas application b/c I want to include my summer grades. BUTTT I would like to start working on the supplimental apps in the mean time, so I can submit them as soon as I submit pharmcas.

To get the supplimental apps, do I just go to the individual schools' websites? I thought it said something on pharmcas that you dont have access to the supplimentals until you send the pharmcas app. I tried going to one schools website and it looked like the supplimental was from last enrollment cycle. Do they get updated every year?

Sorry if this is an obvious question...I'm just stressin and I wanna get my app in early!!

I'd double check PharmCAS but I'd say you could do both academic and service awards. I know I put my Eagle Scout down. If there is a service award that you feel merits a place, I'd put it there.

In terms of scholarships, I'd put the date it was first awarded down.

question
what if i make a mistake in one of the questions...like for the q :what is your college status ..what if i put freshman instead of sophomore or something ? is it gona be a BIG deal?

I would say it can be, but it would depend on the mistake. I put my Chemistry Seminar classes as English and Public Speaking, despite them being part of the chem dept. I don't know if it was a mistake or not, but it was my best estimation of class content, and it had no adverse affect on my application, even if it wasn't 100% accurate.

Your example of putting freshman down instead of sophmore could result in being perceived as having little experience in college, lack of maturity or any one of a number of assumptions made about college freshman. It's probably a small difference, but if you can correct it, why let it remain an error.

Leaving off classes is probably one of the biggest mistakes you could make (other than putting down an incorrect grade) since it could lead to your application being considered incomplete. These types of errors are the most important to catch/fix.

I have a questionnnnn....
So I have to wait until august to e-submit by pharmcas application b/c I want to include my summer grades. BUTTT I would like to start working on the supplimental apps in the mean time, so I can submit them as soon as I submit pharmcas.

To get the supplimental apps, do I just go to the individual schools' websites? I thought it said something on pharmcas that you dont have access to the supplimentals until you send the pharmcas app. I tried going to one schools website and it looked like the supplimental was from last enrollment cycle. Do they get updated every year?

Sorry if this is an obvious question...I'm just stressin and I wanna get my app in early!!

Yes you can submit them as soon as your PharmCAS application is submitted. I wasn't able to submit my PharmCAS to USC or Western last year until <1 week before the 11/1 deadline due to ED restrictions. I had my supplementals all filled out and ready to go. As soon as my ED decision came back as a deferral, my PharmCAS hold was lifted and I was able to add these two schools to my PharmCAS designations. The next day my supplementals were in the mail.

Yes you can submit them as soon as your PharmCAS application is submitted. I wasn't able to submit my PharmCAS to USC or Western last year until <1 week before the 11/1 deadline due to ED restrictions. I had my supplementals all filled out and ready to go. As soon as my ED decision came back as a deferral, my PharmCAS hold was lifted and I was able to add these two schools to my PharmCAS designations. The next day my supplementals were in the mail.

ok I seee...so do I just go to each schools' website to get the supplemental app? I see a section on pharmcas called "supplemental applications" and when i click it, it says I cant access it until I submit pharmcas. Is this just a way of tracking which schools have received my supplementals? Are most supplementals online or do I have to print and mail?
Thanks for your help! you're on top of this stuff haha

Farmercyst thankx alot ..your reply is very helpfull....i will probably have many more question to ask....:)

Do I absolutely have to submit the PharmCas app before the supplemental apps? Will the schools toss the supplemental apps aside if they haven't received the PharmCas app yet?

Oh yeah.. the reason I'm asking is because I'm still waiting on 2/3 of my references. :( and also.. I'm debating whether to submit PharmCas after I finish my summer classes.. I'm not sure if it will help me more to have an additional itty bitty boost in gpa (3.05 to 3.06) or to just get apps in as early as possible.