Application Tips with Apply Point: Brainstorming (Use Everything You've Got!)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When you're creating your brainstorming document, we encourage you to stay vulnerable and use everything you've got.

Of course, you should include the medical and academic experiences that you've hopefully been journaling about and the impactful experiences you've had in clubs and through volunteer work in your brainstorm document. But you should also include things about yourself and what you care about that you don't imagine will be a factor in an essay. You might be able to weave aspects of your personality or some fun facts into your Personal Statement, Work and Activities, or Secondaries to add some color—or something even better.

"I love historical fiction."
"I'm obsessed with Wordle."
"I never make my bed, and I never will."
"I'm terrible at yoga, but I keep doing it."

Don't be shy or embarrassed by what you write in this brainstorming doc. When you try to edit your thoughts from the jump, you can end up cutting out some vulnerability. That's not something you want to lose. We wouldn't encourage you to write about anything you're not comfortable with but being vulnerable shows heart and tenderness—it shows a person.

And, If nothing else, writing this section may help you to see some of your experiences in a different light.

Follow us on Instagram or LinkedIn and check out our blog for more medical school school news, trends, and application tips!

Members don't see this ad.