Application Timeline for Atlantic Bridge

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Macgirl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I was just wondering about how the admissions process goes for the Irish med schools. The applications are available in mid Sept, so if it is submitted by mid Oct, when would you find out if you get an interview, when are the interviews (if there even are interviews) and when is everyone notified about rejection or acceptance. I'm a little anxious that I won't find out anything until really late--like late July or sometime like that.

Thanks,
macgirl

Members don't see this ad.

Macgirl said:
Hey everyone,

I was just wondering about how the admissions process goes for the Irish med schools. The applications are available in mid Sept, so if it is submitted by mid Oct, when would you find out if you get an interview, when are the interviews (if there even are interviews) and when is everyone notified about rejection or acceptance. I'm a little anxious that I won't find out anything until really late--like late July or sometime like that.

Thanks,
macgirl
You will hear from Trinity fairly early... like march or April.

I didn't hear from the rest until July. Sucks, eh?!? I wrote my MCAT in April though and the schools were waiting for the marks. I don't know if you hear earlier if you've written the MCAT in the past.

For the previous application cycle, the due date for all materials handed in was november 15th.
Although they stated a specific date, I know a couple people who submitted their applications AFTER november 15th....all the way up until the end of february.
RCSI is the only school which interviews, and those interviews will probably take place in new york city and san francisco (and/or boston).
I handed in my application by the 15th of november, was invited for rcsi interview in the first week of january, my interview in nyc was in the first weekend of february, and I got my acceptance EXACTLY TWO WEEKS LATER (now bear in mind most people in canada were just STARTING to get interview offers from canadian schools at that time...).

Most people won't hear from other schools (TCD, UCD, UCC) until mid-to late march or april. I know someone who submitted their app at the end of february, and got accepted in mid april. RCSI conducts several round of interviews (up until june I think).

If I were you, I would just make an effort to submit everything by the first deadline.

hope this helps,
and good luck! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
hey there,
speaking of my own experience, i didn't apply until the very last minute, getting all my materials in by february 15th. heard back from trinity by early april, never heard ANYTHING from cork (didn't really care), and heard from RCSI by late april. got accepted to UCD in late june, so yeah, the lesson is get everything in as early as possible! good luck...

Thanks for replying. I have another question. Is it okay to for reference letters and transcripts to arrive before sept 15? Sept 15 is when the applications become available.

It's just that I have a lot of work to do in Oct and if I can get anything done now, I'd prefer it.

Macgirl, if you email AB can you post their response?

Wow, AB replied to my email within 10 mins!

I've pasted my question and the reply I received:

I was wondering if you will accept letters of reference that arrive at
> your office before Sept 15/2004 for Fall 2005 entry and if so, how far
> in advance?

Letters of recommendaiton, transcripts, etc. will be accepted from September
1, 2004.

Louis D. Keenan, Admissions Officer
The Atlantic Bridge Program

Yeah, Atlantic bridge is awesome...

They're so polite and fast to reply questions. I havn't heard of anyone who has had an adverse experience with them. :thumbup:
North american med school admins should take note of this...

Dealing with Atlantic bridge is such a stark contrast to the rest of the med school admission process.

The seem a little like a middle-man between you and the schools and it almost feels like they know you and are on your side trying to help you out. Everyone I've talked to has had a great experience with them - even those who didn't get in.

I WISH North American schools would be more like this.