application stuff

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brighteyes5555

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so, i just took my oat on 9/4.

ts:370
aa:360

i think they're pretty solid scores, but my gpa is rather low: 3.05. i want to apply early of course, but i also want to ensure my oat scores are there when the committee see's my gpa. my scores should arrive by 10/02, but i'm worried about waiting that long to send everything else. advise? does it matter? i'd like to go to sco or ico. thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Oh I don't know, I think your OAT is really great and should apply as soon as you can! Have you looked at the forms you had to fill out if they have a space to write in what you got for an OAT score? I just remember that the application I filled out had a space to write in your OAT score right under your G.P.A. so even though it isn't "official" they at least know what you got "unofficially."

Another way you can think about it is they won't throw out your application regardless of what grades you got, so apply early!

Don't wait for your scores. I had the same situation (high OAT, low GPA) and I got into SCO. I'd go ahead and apply now.

Members don't see this ad :)
JMU07: did you address your grades in your personal essay? i'd rather just stay positive, but would love to here more of your advice since i want to go to sco too! :)

Apply early, even if you don't have your scores in yet. The application has to be processed and will then sit in a pile for a while. You can always submit unofficial scores to them (just call them and ask) while you wait for the official scores to be available. Make sure you follow up with everything.

JMU07: did you address your grades in your personal essay? i'd rather just stay positive, but would love to here more of your advice since i want to go to sco too! :)

Nope, I didn't mention it. Don't worry - grades are important but they take into account a lot of other factors. :luck:

Nope, I didn't mention it. Don't worry - grades are important but they take into account a lot of other factors. :luck:

I have a low GPA (3.17) too but did not take my OAT yet. I am planning to take it either in late October or late November, I rather pick to have more time preparing (This is my last semester with 6 classes). I did not apply yet.
My questions are:
Should I take it in late Oct. or late Nov?
Should I wait for submitting my application until I take the OAT.
Or is there any better suggestions

Please help me out especially those who got in the school already.
Thanks in advance!!!

I have a low GPA (3.17) too but did not take my OAT yet. I am planning to take it either in late October or late November, I rather pick to have more time preparing (This is my last semester with 6 classes). I did not apply yet.
My questions are:
Should I take it in late Oct. or late Nov?
Should I wait for submitting my application until I take the OAT.
Or is there any better suggestions

Please help me out especially those who got in the school already.
Thanks in advance!!!

Your GPA is not entirely horrible so it would be safe to submit your application once you have it completed (with the exception of the OAT). Perhaps a few schools will put you on wait list/ rejection because you don't meet their requirements for GPA (although the cut-off, if it exists for that particular school, is usually a 3.0). Make sure to let the schools know you will be taking your OAT soon and will submit your scores asap. Take the OAT when you feel you know enough for it (you'll never feel 100% ready), because a good score will be a huge factor in whether you'll get an interview or not. Applying early will give you a huge advantage, but having a good OAT score, in your case, will be a bigger factor in improving your chances of getting in. g'luck : )