Application process for Banfield Student Job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smilesoup

Tufts V15
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about applying to the student job program at Banfield. Does anyone have any information on what the application is like? They haven't gotten the page up yet on their website. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm thinking about applying to the student job program at Banfield. Does anyone have any information on what the application is like? They haven't gotten the page up yet on their website. Thanks!

are you a vet student? (your status says pre vet and I don't want to give you a bunch of info on the vet student job if you're thinking of something different)

I'm a vet student and I was thinking about applying, so feel free to post that info :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Basically they have a day in January (it was around the 20th last year) where they open up their site and you put in your application. For certain sites (around the vet schools for example) it is super competitive and they will close the application to certain sites once they get enough applicants - so find out from your student Banfield rep what day and what time it is opening. I know one year at Penn it maxed out for desirable sites within a few hours!

You submit your app and wait a while... I got interviewed in March I think. They have a stock set of questions to ask you and you get scored on your responses. They asked me what I knew about Banfield so that's something to do some research on beforehand. They told me it is 90% tech work and 10% shadowing / mentoring.

You wait quite a while more and then get a job offer at a site. I did get offered a job but it was a different site from the one I wanted, and I didn't take it because the commute would have been rough and I already had another job offer. I think the pay was $12/hr but don't quote me on that.

Someone else on this site - Libster06? - did take a job with them and might have more info than I do.

It's different depending on the Banfield you're applying to. In January or February of last year, I applied on the website, using my vet school email (to verify I was a student there) and they contacted me after about 2 months. I basically had the job after applying for it, and I didn't really have to interview (no one else had apparently applied for it... red flag :/). Then when I was home in MArch during Mardi Gras break, I went to the clinic and toured it and met the doctors and some of the staff. For other people at my school, they held interviews in March (I think, I don't remember the time line because I didn't participate in the interviews there). After that it was a bunch of corporate paperwork.

Good luck.

The application itself if very straightforward. They interviewed all of the Ok-State people over 2 days at the school. They asked a lot of situational questions like what would you do if (insert cliche situation here). Then I chatted with the vet doing the interview about OTS because I had it on my resume and he was a member (I think at Penn but I could be wrong) when he was at vet school. It was a pretty chill interview. I found out in March that I was offered a position. I remember only having a few days to make a decision. Overall, I enjoyed working there. I learned a lot, but I wouldn't want to work at Banfield as a vet unless I couldn't get work elsewhere. Doing relief work there probably wouldn't be, but I wouldn't want to be there full time.