Application - Prereqs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FrostySparrow

Lifetime Donor
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good afternoon everyone!!

I've been working on my VMCAS application since it opened up in May, only to find out the main school I was applying to recently added biochem as a prereq. I'm enrolled for Ochem 1 this fall and Ochem 2 in the spring (to which I will be adding principles of biochem to this semester as well).

My question is will these schools even consider me now that I'm missing 3 prereqs upon application? I'm planning on, and very confident in, completing them before the program would officially start. But I don't fully understand how that would work out. Does the college keep me on a list and I send my finalized transcript once completed?

Can anyone help explain a bit more? My first school of choice would be MWU, so I'm most interested in how they handle it.

I'm hoping this is the gist of how it's done, I have all other prereqs besides the 3 mentioned above. Having to wait till next fall to apply due to these 3 courses would just be a bit frustrating considering I graduated HS in 2015 and have worked very hard to complete almost a BS in the past 2 years.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Good afternoon everyone!!

I've been working on my VMCAS application since it opened up in May, only to find out the main school I was applying to recently added biochem as a prereq. I'm enrolled for Ochem 1 this fall and Ochem 2 in the spring (to which I will be adding principles of biochem to this semester as well).

My question is will these schools even consider me now that I'm missing 3 prereqs upon application? I'm planning on, and very confident in, completing them before the program would officially start. But I don't fully understand how that would work out. Does the college keep me on a list and I send my finalized transcript once completed?

Can anyone help explain a bit more? My first school of choice would be MWU, so I'm most interested in how they handle it.

I'm hoping this is the gist of how it's done, I have all other prereqs besides the 3 mentioned above. Having to wait till next fall to apply due to these 3 courses would just be a bit frustrating considering I graduated HS in 2015 and have worked very hard to complete almost a BS in the past 2 years.
It depends on the school how many prereqs they'll allow you to have left to go when you apply, I would email or call the schools directly if it's not listed on their website. But generally yes, if you're accepted it's on the condition that you pass any prereqs remaining (usually with a C or above), and you have to submit your final spring transcript once you've got it. I would also make sure that principles of biochem will fulfill the prereq, since I know some schools specify that it has to be biochem with an ochem prerequisite, or a two-semester series of biochem. Regardless, taking biochem at the same time as ochem might be really challenging if chemistry isn't your strong suit!

It depends on the school how many prereqs they'll allow you to have left to go when you apply, I would email or call the schools directly if it's not listed on their website. But generally yes, if you're accepted it's on the condition that you pass any prereqs remaining (usually with a C or above), and you have to submit your final spring transcript once you've got it. I would also make sure that principles of biochem will fulfill the prereq, since I know some schools specify that it has to be biochem with an ochem prerequisite, or a two-semester series of biochem. Regardless, taking biochem at the same time as ochem might be really challenging if chemistry isn't your strong suit!

I called about the principles to biochem course, but didn't even think to ask about the max number of unfinished courses I could apply with. They said they'll accept it since it requires a co-req of Ochem 2. I originally planned to minor in chemistry prior to my transfer of schools; at the time noticed that MWU didn't require biochem; I just so happened to double check that today!
Thank you, I'll give their office a call tomorrow morning!