Application is in.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RockShox

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well after much work and 16 personal statement revisions I submitted my app on Sept 1st. I feel much the same way I felt when I got engaged. I had known that at some point I might find a spouse it was just not till that moment that the reality of who it would be set in. Same here, I have known since I thought about medical school that I would have a specialty someday and knowing now what that will be is pretty exciting (ok I know I don't know what the match will bring but I am trying to have some positive thinking).

I was wondering if anyone knew some of how the process works. For example, I know that several programs have already downloaded my app but my school has yet to scan my transcript. Do they just keep downloading pieces as they come or is it in my interest to light a fire under someone (I think they will be in this week or early next)?

Second, I have a five letters but I only assigned 4 to each. I thought this was good to prevent LOR overload, but one writer is still not gotten his in yet. How long should I give him before I just assign a different letter?

Good luck all.

Members don't see this ad.

I would not assign 4 letters to each program. If they only want 3 only give them 3, no more no less. If you give them more then they could view you as a person who doesn't follow directions, etc. Yes, and they will download your application material as it becomes available. Some programs download daily, some weekly, it depends.:cool:

I would not assign 4 letters to each program. If they only want 3 only give them 3, no more no less. If you give them more then they could view you as a person who doesn't follow directions, etc. Yes, and they will download your application material as it becomes available. Some programs download daily, some weekly, it depends.:cool:

What's the best way to find out if programs only want 3?
On ERAS I think every program I applied to said choose up to 4 LORs when assigning documents, so I assigned 4 to all programs.

Members don't see this ad :)

Cool thanks. I checked out every programs website and it was difficult to get a fix on how many some want. Several said "At least three" So does that mean more is ok? and some said three, and some didn't say anything at all. So I just made a guess. I have not specifically heard about programs complaining about getting four (I do know several program directors on a personal basis and they did not mention that specifically when I mentioned four letters) but I will double check the websites and select three for those that are specific about three.

Duke and Iowa want 3 total