Application/Interview Etiquette

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thirteen78

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, is it OK to contact programs that you haven't received interview offers from at this point? Or is that bad form? Is email or a phone call preferred?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

thirteen78 said:
Hey everyone, is it OK to contact programs that you haven't received interview offers from at this point? Or is that bad form? Is email or a phone call preferred?

Thanks!

Not only is it okay, it's the smart thing to do. Typically programs will have a list of people to whom they will offer interviews only when contacted by the applicant (to indicate interest). The worst that happens is you are told no. Be sure to indicate your interest when you contact them.

As far as the method, a phonecall will get you much farther than an email. Be courteous, pleasant, and respectful -- you never know who is on the other end of the phone.

Agreed... I wanted an interview with MCG... I called and then 2 hours later.. I had an invite in my inbox. Tried the same thing with Emory. I guess I will find out on Monday if this was successful. I look at it like this. My future is in my hands. I need to take control of the situation. Most programs know they will fill and they hope to fill with people who WANT to be there. I want to show them I WANT to be there.

I agree. Never hurts to call. Sometimes applications get lost in the shuffle. This has happened here before (applicant called and for some reason the eras application hadn't downloaded) and upon review she was interviewed. (and Yay! accepted......)

It lets PD's know that you are interested and they may give your application a more thorough review. I defiantely know it happens in our program. Likewise, applicants that come by for a 'look', I always introduce to our PD. I have seen him take special note to look through thier application thoroughly.

Hence, why when I see any SDN'ers applying to our program, I always offer.