Application Improvements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ClockworkDoc

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Reapplicants,

I wanted to know what type of things you did to improve your application.

I raised my GPA by 0.1 and my MCAT by 7.
I currently work in a pharmaceutical lab and I am applying to become a "Big Brother"

Members don't see this ad.

I also raised my GPA by I'm not sure how much, a fair bit. I took the MCAT 3 times, so depending which scores you take, I could have gone up 9 points since the first time I took it. But not everywhere does that.

I also did some travelling, but I don't know if that's an "improvement", just something I love doing. I wrote a much better PS, and applied much earlier. Stayed with my previous EC's, but didn't add much new.

I looked at my calculated GPA's on my AMCAS, and you can see a nice positive upward trend as I took more difficult science classes, which is also a plus. My senior year, I had 20 credits of chem and biochem classes, and had around a 3.7 GPA. However, I started off freshman year with a BCPM around 3.3. So I guess it couldn't hurt to see a trend over 4 years instead of 3 years, shows more consistency I guess.

DoctorNick83 said:
Hi Reapplicants,

I wanted to know what type of things you did to improve your application.

I raised my GPA by 0.1 and my MCAT by 7.
I currently work in a pharmaceutical lab and I am applying to become a "Big Brother"

what sort of answer are you looking for? i mean...there are many ways to improve your application, from mcat to gpa to more meaningful extracurriculars to better LORS to better essays to better timing to better interviewing. there is no one thing that will make you worlds better...well...i lie...maybe your mcat score will if you improve it by enough.

are you looking for extracurricular ideas that you could copy?

Members don't see this ad :)
UCLAMAN said:
are you looking for extracurricular ideas that you could copy?

That was sort of rude to say. I started this post so others can have an idea of what they can do to improve their application and do in their off year.

As for me, I have enough on my plate as it is.

DoctorNick83 said:
That was sort of rude to say. I started this post so others can have an idea of what they can do to improve their application and do in their off year.

As for me, I have enough on my plate as it is.

oh sorry...didn't know you started this post for "other people."

..and really...whether you started this post for yourself or for others...the point is to get ideas so one could try to emulate them right? is "emulate" a better word?

in any case...theres no surefire way to improve an application. everyone is different. there is no extra-curricular activity that is a sure-bet to garner you more favor with an admissions committee.

with that said...there are tons of things one can do during the year off.

-be a bum and improve your hand-eye coordination by playing video games

-teach for america

-work as a park ranger

-travel abroad

-teach abroad

-"volunteer" at a local hospital

-tutor mentally disabled children

-organize a free healthcare day for homeless people at a homeless shelter

-train and ride in the tour de france...i bet you dont even have to win and it would still be a great thing to talk about for interviews

i apologize...i am not trying to be rude...i am just being honest...theres a million and one things that someone can do in a year. as long as you are doing something productive it can only help your application(ok...the video game one probably isnt a good idea). use your imaginations. the sky is the limit.