Application Evaluation Status letter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ellisa

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a IMG planning to apply for residencies in CA. Need some help regarding the "Applicant Evaluation Status Letter"
supposed to be issued by the Medical board of CA to ECFMG, if u plan to apply for the pgms in CA. It could be submitted as one of u'r letter of
reco. What I want to know is-
-- What is the procedure of getting it?
-- Is it a staunch requirement to apply for the pgms in CA or is it an
option ?
Th'x ,Ellisa

Members don't see this ad.

Hi:

I am not an expert. Unfortunately medschool.com is gone since there was many posts there regarding this topic. You must go to the california medical board website and download the application. To get this letter you must submit ECFMG certificate, your original diploma, transcripts, USMLE scores and other documentation depending up on where you did your electives and so forth. It is NOT an option. Most programs will not interview you unless you have it and you CANNOT work in CA without it. Hope this helps.

M-

Magree is right. The application is available on the Cal Medical Board site for the letter.

I cannot speak for all programs but certainly for Surgical programs the letter was a requirement to even APPLY - despite the fact that according to the Cal Med Board you only need the letter to start working (ie, July 1). Make sure you get the letter as many programs apparently are making different rules than the Med Bd.

Best of luck.

Than'x to Kimberly 'n Magree, that was a great help! There goes my chance of taking up a residency in Bay area(I live here), since the whole process takes some time, giving my CSA in Nov, getting an ECFMG cerftificate takes some time after that! Anyways hope I get things worked out by then.........