Application Embarrassment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

teucer

I'll take an M-14 any day
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did a few things this application cycle that, looking back, I can have a good giggle at. Still, at the time, I wanted to bury my head in the sand.

1. Sending an Au.D. application to the wrong school. This is because I tried to coordinate all the apps at once and, at some point, the apps switched envelopes on me. Probably one of my subordinates at my unit playing a prank on me, now that I think of it.

2. Responding inappropriately to a comment made by the chair of one of the Au.D. programs I was speaking to on the phone...that was embarrassing. He said "Well, you're our boy from Alaska! You're not the only boy, but..." (trailed off). I responded: "Yes, I heard the program is predominantly white" (meaning to say "predominantly FEMALE"). Too many african american studies material as an undergraduate, I guess; just rolled off the tongue. Didn't catch it until I hung up the phone.

3. A chairperson of one program asked what sort of accent I had. I responded: "It's a mixed accent...I've lived in so many areas of the country, you never can tell." She asked if she had a southern accent, and I responded "I guess it depends on how hard you try!". She responded: "Oh, believe me, I try hard". This one is somewhat less funny unless you listened to it in context.

4. Getting so irate with the CSDCAS woman that I told her that I would save her the trouble of whatever we were trying to figure out at the moment and that I would be flying into the Massachusetts area near the CSDCAS office is (I really was flying into MA) and that we should just meet face-to-face. I said: "We'll just sit down, I'll do whatever you want right then-and-there instead of diddling around over postal mail and playing musical chairs with the telephone. Then, we can go out to some place, have dinner together, then who knows...I might even kiss you goodnight". I got a little carried away with my frustration, and she didn't have much of a sense of humor--she responded "No, I don't think we can do that". Probably another one you had to actually witness in order to see the humor. It would have been awkward trying to back out if she actually did agree to my fecicious proposition.

5. I did something really embarrassing that I won't post on this thread...it involves another chairperson from another university. Maybe I'll save that one for another day--maybe not.

Members don't see this ad.

Responding inappropriately to a comment made by the chair of one of the Au.D. programs I was speaking to on the phone...that was embarrassing. He said "Well, you're our boy from Alaska! You're not the only boy, but..." (trailed off). I responded: "Yes, I heard the program is predominantly white" (meaning to say "predominantly FEMALE"). Too many african american studies material as an undergraduate, I guess; just rolled off the tongue. Didn't catch it until I hung up the phone.

:rofl::highfive:

I did something really embarrassing that I won't post on this thread...it involves another chairperson from another university. Maybe I'll save that one for another day--maybe not.

...Since you've already started....Do tell.....:corny:

Members don't see this ad :)
Just started getting comfortable.. you have to finish the story!!

haha yeah the white/female comment. WOOOOPS! lol

:story, story, story!!!: