Application Competativness

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nfish1

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am curious about what tier/level of residency program I should apply to for the upcoming cycle in Ophtho, here is a quick snapshot of my application:

I was feeling good about my application until I met my advisor who, and I quote said "Your board scores and 3rd year grades paint different pictures, clearly you only study well, but don't work well. This is why I tell students to not focus so much on boards it makes you a bad clinician"

STEP1: 254
STEP2:260
Med school: USMD, Top40, but my home department is not in the top 20
Clerkships: Unfortunately I suck, but I have 3/6 honors (Honors in Surgery, Family, and psych), HP in Peds, Ob, and IM
Research: 4 publications in Cardiology, 3 publications in Ophto (one is first author, other are 2nd and third), 1 publication in vascular surgery. 4 poster presentations. 1 case report in Ophtho
Ex:- President of Dance club at school
-set-up COVID related volunteer project with school where we trained students on how to do follow-up phone calls with patient discharged during pandemic.
-Worked on an online project with my ophtho department (want to be nebulous about this as this will be very specific to me
Region: I am from Philly, and would like to match in the NE

I guess I really don't know what to make of my application, because I feel that its okay but my grades from third year suck, at-least according to my school advisor. I know it sounds neurotic but what tier of residencies should I be looking at, especially given how competitive ophtho is I can't judge myself...., and my discussion with my advisor didn't really help. He basically focused on my grades and said I wasn't an "incredible candidate, but just okay"

Dream would be to get into a top20 program. My goal is to take a year off also, do you think that will help towards my goal or do my clerkship grades automatically screw me out of this.

Members don't see this ad.

Umm, you will be fine in matching. I wouldn't waste a year of my life doing research. Just apply -- you will match with those stats.

Reactions: 2 users
if I apply this year what tier of programs should I apply to so that I can help narrow down my application list?

Members don't see this ad :)
if I apply this year what tier of programs should I apply to so that I can help narrow down my application list?

you should do what every single other ophtho applicant does and apply broadly.

Apply everywhere you would be content if you match- taking into account geographic location and quality of program.

And not to be a jerk, but don’t misspell anything on your application. For example, your title misspells “competitiveness” as “competativness”. Spelling errors, especially misspelling the word “ophthalmology” will get your application weeded out in a hurry. Re-read your application at least a couple times before submitting.

Not to be disrespectful but please don't let your advisor prevent you from applying. Not everyone has your best interest at heart. I would also not ask/depend on them for a letter as it seems they have already made up their mind about you. Try and secure enough letters with an extra one for emergency if you can. Don't give yourself reason to screw yourself over for a research year.

Reactions: 1 users
If I had listened to my advisors I would probably be a phd in immunology or an anesthesiologist.

Reactions: 1 users
Your application is decent. You will do fine, research year should only be a back up option incase you don't match.

Also, don't go to this guy again for advice.