"Applicant Rank Order List Opening"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
As a potential applicant who will be going through this same process one short year from now, I am thoroughly enjoying reading this thread!

U of Lake Effect is cool--such a nice area, too!

I have a feeling you're all going to be happy...of course, I'm no ORACLE or anything! :laugh:

Stay strong, brothers and sisters!!

Members don't see this ad.

Brian Pavlovitz said:
As a potential applicant who will be going through this same process one short year from now, I am thoroughly enjoying reading this thread!

U of Lake Effect is cool--such a nice area, too!

I have a feeling you're all going to be happy...of course, I'm no ORACLE or anything! :laugh:

Stay strong, brothers and sisters!!
good to see ya again BP. keep on rockin! best of luck as you trudge through these last several months of 3rd year. :thumbup:

Anyone seriously considering MGH?

Members don't see this ad :)
roach said:
my prelim rank list- sure to change:
1. University of Doobage
2. Armpit Clinic
3. Moose College
4. Armpit University
5. University of Lake Effect
6. Bling-bling University
7. Civil War Memorial University
8. Urban Decay University or Rank us 1 or You're Not Coming University

i wonder if your #8 is the same as my #10. hmmmm.....sounds a bit familiar....

PathProspect said:
Anyone seriously considering MGH?
how would you define "serious."

MGH is among my #2-5 group of programs. haven't finalized where MGH will end up falling.

have you noticed that MGH only is filling 4 spots in the match this year? :eek:

roach said:
my prelim rank list- sure to change:
1. University of Doobage
2. Armpit Clinic
3. Moose College
4. Armpit University
5. University of Lake Effect
6. Bling-bling University
7. Civil War Memorial University
8. Urban Decay University or Rank us 1 or You're Not Coming University
looks like stormjen, joedogma, and i have similar programs. joedogma- glad you liked univ of lake effect. i think it's a great program, but my wife wasn't thrilled about the location. i think we may have met while interviewing at moose college.

U of Doobage isn't in cali or oregon, though that would make the most sense. it's somewhere in the midwest. and andy, i'm 100% sure that my #8 is your #10. without naming names, let's compare notes. let's see- crappy cafeteria lunch, PD's infamous bookshelf, 5 miles between faculty offices. ring a bell?

roach said:
(re: doobage) it's somewhere in the midwest.
i guessed it! woohoo!
roach said:
and andy, i'm 100% sure that my #8 is your #10. without naming names, let's compare notes. let's see- crappy cafeteria lunch, PD's infamous bookshelf, 5 miles between faculty offices. ring a bell?

1. i remember the crappy cafeteria part.
2. which PD? my #10 has two co-PDs.
3. the faculty offices were far apart.

it's not ringing a loud bell so lemme throw some more out there...

4. relatively new surg path facilities.
5. no decent restaurants nearby the hospital.
6. it's near a lake.

and oh...

7. i bitched excessively about their match tactics in previous posts.

AndyMilonakis said:
i guessed it! woohoo!

1. i remember the crappy cafeteria part.
2. which PD? my #10 has two co-PDs.
3. the faculty offices were far apart.

it's not ringing a loud bell so lemme throw some more out there...

4. relatively new surg path facilities.
5. no decent restaurants nearby the hospital.
6. it's near a lake.

and oh...

7. i bitched excessively about their match tactics in previous posts.
the place i was speaking of actually does have 2 PD's. unfortunately,though, i think we're talking two different places. mine is not located near a lake but kind of close to the ocean. not especially windy either. oh, and 10x higher on the ghetto factor.

if i'm guessing your place correctly, it's really research heavy especially with the new chair. they are the only place that didn't offer me an interview (i still owe them a hot karl), probably only because i had no research.

roach said:
the place i was speaking of actually does have 2 PD's. unfortunately,though, i think we're talking two different places. mine is not located near a lake but kind of close to the ocean. not especially windy either. oh, and 10x higher on the ghetto factor.

if i'm guessing your place correctly, it's really research heavy especially with the new chair. they are the only place that didn't offer me an interview (i still owe them a hot karl), probably only because i had no research.
ah...gotcha. i had a suspicion that we were talking about different places.

if this place didn't give you an interview even, a hot karl is not enough. i suggest a nuclear karl. :thumbup:

AndyMilonakis said:
how would you define "serious."

MGH is among my #2-5 group of programs. haven't finalized where MGH will end up falling.

have you noticed that MGH only is filling 4 spots in the match this year? :eek:

4 spots ?!? :wow: Must be a tough match. Did you hear this from the PD or is this info listed somewhere?

I don't even know if being 1 of 4 at MGH would be good or bad :idea: -- I can imagine some positives (in terms of fellowships and scheduling) and some MAJOR negatives (an even crazier workload for each resident / less people to share the steep learning curve). What do you think?

PathProspect said:
4 spots ?!? :wow: Did you hear this from the PD or is this info listed somewhere?

I don't even know if being 1 of 4 at MGH would be good or bad :idea: -- I can imagine some positives (in terms of fellowships) and some MAJOR negatives (an even crazier workload for each resident / less people to experience the steep learning curve). What do you think?
4 was the quota number cited (in the NRMP site) when I was making my ROL early this month. I have a hunch that some of the spots may have been filled outside of the match. Yes, I do realize that pathology positions starting from this year should technically be all filled via the match but for instance, my institution has already signed one outside of the match thereby cutting down the quota from 6 to 5.

When I saw the number 4 next to quota, I had the same thought you did. All that work distributed to fewer people. But by this summer, they will have 6 PAs there so things should hopefully normalize out.

I liked MGH quite a bit...I think they have a lot of strengths that far outweigh some of the negatives that people cite throughout the interview trail. Whatever...they essentially told me in so many words that I'm not ranked to match (well duh, if they only got 4 spots right? :laugh: ) so c'est la vie. Irregardless, I will continue to feel extremely highly of their program. They're doing a lot of things right there.

roach said:

I think I know the place you're talking about. Is it near our nation's capital?

FindingMyself said:
I think I know the place you're talking about. Is it near our nation's capital?
yup

Members don't see this ad :)
Here we go...tentative ROL:

1) University of Lake Effect
2) Genius in da Hood
3) Moose College
4) Football>>>All University
5) Pretentious Snob University
6) Homer Simpson has Lipoma Medical Center
7) Burner's River
8) Thou shalt not leave before 11PM, unless on CP...then don't bother comin'

joedogma said:
Here we go...tentative ROL:

1) University of Lake Effect
2) Genius in da Hood
3) Moose College
4) Football>>>All University
5) Pretentious Snob University
6) Homer Simpson has Lipoma Medical Center
7) Burner's River
8) Thou shalt not leave before 11PM, unless on CP...then don't bother comin'

I feel confident that you'll get into U of LE, which is good, because I don't want to have to compete with you for Moose College! And then if I can't become a Moosketeer, then I'll join you at U of LE. And then we'll take over the boards, like those Michigan people.

Your #8 is the only other one I have a clue about. Genius in da Hood intrigues me, since it's sandwiched between my top two choices. I wonder where I would have ranked it, had I interviewed there (wherever that is).

I've changed the rank list several times about a week ago but in this last week, I haven't changed it one bit anymore. And this list is not likely to change so consider this one final:

#1 Bongtoke University
#2 Gonna Get Mah Cah Broken Into University
#3 Gambler's Anonymous University
#4 "Got Fiddy Cent?" University
#5 Crushed Red Pepper Flaming Bunghole University
#6 Traffic School Anyone? University
#7 Gonna Buy A House, NOT! University
#8 Everybody Getting the Hell Outta Dodge! University
#9 "Got a Quarter?" University
#10 You Ain't Got No Chance In Hell Matching Here Unless You Tell Us We're Your Number One and We Will Call/Email You Repeatedly Until You Tell Us One Way or Another University.

AndyMilonakis said:
I've changed the rank list several times about a week ago but in this last week, I haven't changed it one bit anymore. And this list is not likely to change so consider this one final:

#1 Bongtoke University
#10 You Ain't Got No Chance In Hell Matching Here Unless You Tell Us We're Your Number One and We Will Call/Email You Repeatedly Until You Tell Us One Way or Another University.

Bongtoke U the same as Doobage U?

joedogma said:
Bongtoke U the same as Doobage U?
no. Doobage U is "Everybody getting the hell outta dodge university" cuz at my school, we got 6 people going into path and 5 of us want to get out of here.

AndyMilonakis said:
no. Doobage U is "Everybody getting the hell outta dodge university" cuz at my school, we got 6 people going into path and 5 of us want to get out of here.

:(

You are mostly cool people too. Oh well.

AndyMilonakis said:

#1 Bongtoke University

Traffic School Anyone? University only at #6? and only 1 above #7 Gonna Buy A House, NOT! University??? I thought you liked it much more than that! ;)

PathProspect said:
Traffic School Anyone? University only at #6? and only 1 above #7 Gonna Buy A House, NOT! University??? I thought you liked it much more than that! ;)
:confused: i'm not sure we're on the same page regarding the identities of these schools. but that means that i was cryptic in revealing my ROL and so that pleases me :laugh: muhahahaha!

seriously though, which program did you have in mind? if you're thinking that #6 or #7 is a certain program we PM'd each other about a few weeks ago, i'm afraid you're barking up the wrong tree cuz i decided not to rank that place because i can't see myself living there.

yaah said:
:(

You are mostly cool people too. Oh well.
thanks. you da man too! one person here is ranking doobage u pretty highly though.

you never know though. i may match at doobage u along with roach if my top 7 don't want anything to do with me.

#1 Cornfield U
#2 Sink or Swim U
#3 Duke sucks U
#4 Biscuits n' Gravy U
#5 Book of Mormon Hospital
#6 Cheesesteak Hospital
#7 Presidents Favorite U

AndyMilonakis said:
4 was the quota number cited (in the NRMP site) when I was making my ROL early this month.
I think MGH is taking 6 this year - that's what the NRMP site says right now. No info on internal candidates, of course...

AndyMilonakis said:
I liked MGH quite a bit...I think they have a lot of strengths that far outweigh some of the negatives that people cite throughout the interview trail.
I agree - I liked it much mroe than I thought I would. I know someone who went there and it was pretty rough the first year. But, they've apparently made a lot of changes and things are better now, so I hear.

geddy said:
I agree - I liked it much mroe than I thought I would. I know someone who went there and it was pretty rough the first year. But, they've apparently made a lot of changes and things are better now, so I hear.
Yup. Same here.

same - a miracle, I know.

How did you get him to come around? Inquiring/Nosy minds wish to know

Not BONK...BOINK!!!!

Pingu said:
Not BONK...BOINK!!!!
The power of Boink is very temporary.

The effect of *BONK!* however is everlasting! *BONK!* enables people to see the light.

Yes, but bonk is painful...boink can be painful but only if you want it to be

I think both bonk/boink were involved in getting the hubby to change his mind

Pingu said:
Yes, but bonk is painful...boink can be painful but only if you want it to be

I think both bonk/boink were involved in getting the hubby to change his mind
agreed...it's a powerful combo that only few can walk away unscathed from :laugh:

agreed...it's a powerful combo that only few can walk away unscathed from

Hopefully the scathed mr. jeff and jeff will be walking happily through the cornfields soon