APPIC Internship Interview Invitation Thread (2020)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anybody know why everyone gets the email at different times? Does this mean anything?

I got mine at 7:53 AM EST last year. I have no idea what the order means, if anything. Y’all are so close! Sending positive vibes.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Anybody know why everyone gets the email at different times? Does this mean anything?

Probably because there’s between 3k-4K people participating in the match, they go out in random batches. I wouldn’t worry too much about the order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Part of it is just due to differences in time zones. I’m on internship right now and last year I got my email at 6:30AM (Mountain Standard Time), one of my cointerns got hers at 7:30AM (Central Standard Time), and another cointern got it at 8:30AM (Eastern Standard Time). It was technically the same time for all of us. So they basically send all of them out at the same time between 8-9AM EST, but if you happen to be in another time zone you get the benefit of hearing “earlier” :) And if you are in Pacific Standard Time you really luck out on the timing because you can find out at like 5AM :p

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck to you all today! Please remember that even if you don't get the results you're looking for, it is not the end of the world and please do not beat yourself up. There are MANY people who didn't match to their top site and loved their internship (and vice versa!) and people who didn't match but either matched to a great spot in phase 2 or matched at a great place the following year. Because of the time, cost, and stress associated with this process, I think it's built up to seem that this day is more important than it actually is. It definitely is better being on the other side of things (I'm a training director), but we still get a bit anxious as well. I always love seeing the support you give each other every year and I hope that some of you match to my site! :)

Reactions: 14 users
Good luck to you all today! Please remember that even if you don't get the results you're looking for, it is not the end of the world and please do not beat yourself up. There are MANY people who didn't match to their top site and loved their internship (and vice versa!) and people who didn't match but either matched to a great spot in phase 2 or matched at a great place the following year. Because of the time, cost, and stress associated with this process, I think it's built up to seem that this day is more important than it actually is. It definitely is better being on the other side of things (I'm a training director), but we still get a bit anxious as well. I always love seeing the support you give each other every year and I hope that some of you match to my site! :)
Can't agree with this enough! I matched to my #6-ranked last site last year, and can honestly say that I've had a phenomenal internship experience. Chances are that you will also be able to make the most of wherever you land, whether that's your #1, #6, or a Phase 2 site.

Sending good thoughts to everyone today!

Reactions: 6 users
Best wishes and good luck to everyone today. I am rooting for you all!

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Matched at my second choice I am so excited! Congratulations everybody! Happy Match Day!

• Sad
  • Love
Reactions: 10 users
How is everyone feeling? Everyone get their email? I ranked at my last choice and have very mixed feelings about it, but grateful to have matched. This whole "ranking" thing was tricky and I have no idea why I got skipped over at my top sites. Yes, I'm cryin' over it. :arghh:

Applied to 10
Interviewed at 6
Ranked 6
Matched at my #1!!!

• Love
  • Sad
Reactions: 11 users
Matched at my number 1!!!

• Sad
Reactions: 8 users
How is everyone feeling? Everyone get their email? I ranked at my last choice and have very mixed feelings about it, but grateful to have matched. This whole "ranking" thing was tricky and I have no idea why I got skipped over at my top sites. Yes, I'm cryin' over it. :arghh:
I matched at my #6 site. It’s still a good site, so I’m happy. I am surprised I didn’t match with a higher ranked site, so I’m soaking it in right now.

I matched at my #6 site. It’s still a good site, so I’m happy. I am surprised I didn’t match with a higher ranked site, so I’m soaking it in right now.

I hear you! I'm not sure how it all worked out. So many ranked at their #1. #allthefeels :bored:

Reactions: 4 users
I hear you! I'm not sure how it all worked out. So many ranked at their #1. #allthefeels :bored:

I also think there’s bias in who shares! It’s not uncommon to match in 2,3,4,5,6+ sites!

Reactions: 5 users
...even though I matched at a university...can I still get a VA post-doc if I work my butt off? Hoping this doesn't obliterate my chances. :bigtears:

...even though I matched at a university...can I still get a VA post-doc if I work my butt off? Hoping this doesn't obliterate my chances. :bigtears:

I have a colleague who did just that!

Matched at #3. Happy and relieved. Really loved the site.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users

When I was in the VA, we definitely took postdocs without a VA internship. The VA internship definitely gives someone a slight advantage at some VAs, but a strong application otherwise can otherwise still get you in the door.

When I was in the VA, we definitely took postdocs without a VA internship. The VA internship definitely gives someone a slight advantage at some VAs, but a strong application otherwise can otherwise still get you in the door.

That is GREAT to hear! I have been trying to do neuro VA work for years, but it's so competitive in NYC. I will test my heart out!!! Thank you fir the sprinkle of hope. :rolleyes:

That is GREAT to hear! I have been trying to do neuro VA work for years, but it's so competitive in NYC. I will test my heart out!!! Thank you fir the sprinkle of hope. :rolleyes:

If you are restricted to NYC, the chances definitely slim down. Not too mention, I think some of the best VA training sites for neuro are in different geographic areas.

Reactions: 1 user
If you are restricted to NYC, the chances definitely slim down. Not too mention, I think some of the best VA training sites for neuro are in different geographic areas.

I will go anywhere for post-doc! :couchpotato:

Congrats to everyone! I think that going through this as a TD is an annual reminder of the stressful nature of this whole process, so I can definitely relate to how you all are feeling right now. Please take care of yourselves today whether you're celebrating matching, grieving, or just celebrating surviving today. Phase 2 match day will come soon, and so will new opportunities.

Matched to my #4. I'm honesty surprised and dont know how I feel about it yet. I think I was just expecting to go to round two for like 5 months and am in shock. And that interview went terribly (was my first one, and skype) and I am surprised they ranked me at all. I've never been there, either. Still processing it all.

• Wow
I matched lower too. I hope it still works out for us in terms of training!
The training is really good at the place I matched. The reason it ranked lower than my other two sites was location. My top three were all pretty equal in terms of training!

Last edited:
  • Love

I know several who have done that. I definitely think your chances will still be good. It also seems a lot of VAs are less competitive for Post Doc than internship

I know several who have done that. I definitely think your chances will still be good. It also seems a lot of VAs are less competitive for Post Doc than internship

That is motivating and helpful to know! :joyful:

Uh oh. My internship will be neuro focused, but I'd love to do neuro at a VA or even get more generalist training. Is that not possible?

Oh, it's still entirely possible; I'm living proof (i.e., completed my internship at an AMC and fellowship at a VA). I just meant that neuro VA postdocs aren't necessarily less competitive than neuro VA internships. But by having a neuro-focused internship, you're making yourself competitive in that regard.

Totally! I have a colleague at my current site, a large VA in a major city, who did not have any VA experience. Matched at our VA for postdoc and already has been offered a full-time position. It's doable!

I’m about to see patients for the next two hours. If I get a phone call from the TD of my internship site, am I expected to answer the phone, or is it okay if I just call them back?

I’m about to see patients for the next two hours. If I get a phone call from the TD of my internship site, am I expected to answer the phone, or is it okay if I just call them back?
I'm sure it's fine if you call them back! I've heard these phone calls are brief congrats and just to give a heads up that they'll be contacting you with more information soon.

If you're in with a patient, I'm sure the TD would understand. They'll likely leave a message with any needed instructions (e.g., if they need you to call them back, or if they're just calling to say congratulations).