APPIC Internship Interview Invitation Thread (2020)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Curious, how does one know if a program does rolling interview invitations? I went back to read King County's APPIC description and I did not see any overt statements indicating they do rolling interviews. Just curious. :)

I think the only real way is to check and see the patterns from previous year’s threads. Most don’t state it in their brochure. Because I’m neurotic, I made a spreadsheet of the sites last year when I was applying and noted their notification patterns from the threads in previous years. This helped with my anxiety a bit.

I received my first notification on 11/8 last year so you may start hearing soon. Good luck everybody! Rooting for all of you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I think the only real way is to check and see the patterns from previous year’s threads. Most don’t state it in their brochure. Because I’m neurotic, I made a spreadsheet of the sites last year when I was applying and noted their notification patterns from the threads in previous years. This helped with my anxiety a bit.

I received my first notification on 11/8 last year so you may start hearing soon. Good luck everybody! Rooting for all of you!

Yeah, I saw a thread from last year where they kept track of when sites reached out. I suppose I can use that as an approximation. Also, if a site calls to invite you and you don't pick up for whatever reason, will they leave a voice message?

Yeah, I saw a thread from last year where they kept track of when sites reached out. I suppose I can use that as an approximation. Also, if a site calls to invite you and you don't pick up for whatever reason, will they leave a voice message?

I didn’t have any sites that called. All 11 sites I received an interview for sent an email. I should note that I applied to only VAs.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Curious, how does one know if a program does rolling interview invitations? I went back to read King County's APPIC description and I did not see any overt statements indicating they do rolling interviews. Just curious. :)
It's not in the APPIC description, but the wording in their brochure makes it pretty clear (although not explicit). It also would be strange for them to send out ALL invitations a full week before their printed deadline.

Neurotic or well prepared :p I am the same way. I have written out all the possible dates I could receive info! Patience is a virtue I need to enhance with myself/career.

It's not in the APPIC description, but the wording in their brochure makes it pretty clear (although not explicit). It also would be strange for them to send out ALL invitations a full week before their printed deadline.

Strange, how so?

Strange, how so?
Because I would assume that while some/many applicants submit early, there is a significant number of applicants that submit closer to/at the deadline, and by sending out all interview invitations a full week and a half before their deadline, they would likely not be considering a sizable number of their eventual applicants. It would just seem strange to me if they would give a deadline and then lock in the final applicants to interview so much in advance of that deadline.

Official Site Name: VA Puget Sound - Seattle
Date Invitation Received: 11/07/2019
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): Mass email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): N/A
Offered Interview Dates: 01/07/2020
(In honor of last year) If & How you're staying sane: Good question :confused:

Reactions: 10 users

Congrats!!!!

You're this year's big winner of first complete interview invite submission! That's a top-notch site too. I know a lot of people who've trained there or work there and have great things to say.

Reactions: 3 users

Congrats!!

Yay!! Congrats to you and everyone enduring this process!

I have a serious question...what about footwear if you are interviewing in a state with heavy snow? Lets say I am taking an uber from the airport in heavy snow shoes. I get to the interview and put on nice flats in the bathroom. What do I do with my snowy footwear? Stuff it in my suitcase? Will I freeze during the interview if I am wearing flats and they are not heating the building?
Like with a suit, you can wear a lot of underlayers and still be warm and professional. Footwear is a different story and I think cold feet may be very distracting.

I agree w/ another poster who suggested winter boots and changing into professional footwear upon arrival. I interviewed in all states in which it snowed and that's what I did. I didn't have any issues at all. I still live in the state in which I matched/completed internship and that's what I do now on work days.

Members don't see this ad :)

So exciting! You’ll love the site. Try to enjoy the process as much as you can.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I agree w/ another poster who suggested winter boots and changing into professional footwear upon arrival. I interviewed in all states in which it snowed and that's what I did. I didn't have any issues at all. I still live in the state in which I matched/completed internship and that's what I do now on work days.
Thank you so much for replying! :)

Official Site Name: James Madison University Counseling Center
Date Invitation Received: 11/08/2019
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): Phone call
Offered Interview Dates: Initial 30-min phone interview between 11/14 and 11/21

Reactions: 10 users
Official Site Name: James Madison University Counseling Center
Date Invitation Received: 11/08/2019
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): Phone call
Offered Interview Dates: Initial 30-min phone interview between 11/14 and 11/21

Congrats!!

I've been a lurker until now...

Received my first notification today and it was a rejection from the Southwest Consortium. I'm bummed because this was a top site of interest, and also freaked out a little that my first notification was a rejection. It's throwing all confidence in myself and my applications for a loop, hoping for good news soon to offset this one!

Received my first notification today and it was a rejection from the Southwest Consortium. I'm bummed because this was a top site of interest, and also freaked out a little that my first notification was a rejection. It's throwing all confidence in myself and my applications for a loop, hoping for good news soon to offset this one!

Chin up. I'm sorry to hear that. I also fear that my first notification will be a rejection. However, I think we should come to expect that. This is a job application (at least that's how I like to think about it). Back in the day, I would apply to many jobs on indeed.com, Monster, Careerbuilder, etc. Some jobs I would get interviews, but several I would get rejected from. This may or may not help, but ruminating about a rejection may not be helpful either. :) I say this, because...I ruminate, and I know how I get, so, I will counteract that.

So sorry to hear you didn't get an interview at one of your sites you were most interested in. That is such a bummer.

To speak to your other point - I think the average applicant receives something like 4-7 interviews after submitting ~15 applications so we should be expecting ~1/2 - 2/3 of our replies to be rejections. Hope that helps intellectually, at least? Hang in there!

Do sites typically send rejections or do they just not reach out? I'm used to the job market where if you put in an application and you're not a fit they will just say nothing lol
Most sites will notify, I believe it's appic policy. If they don't, may have been an administrative oversight, rare, but happens.

Do sites typically send rejections or do they just not reach out? I'm used to the job market where if you put in an application and you're not a fit they will just say nothing lol

According to APPIC guidelines, I believe they are required to notify in the case of rejections.

Reactions: 4 users
Thanks for the kind words, those are good points to remind myself of! I keep telling myself it will work out in the end, this month will just be a roller coaster of emotions (as I'm sure the upcoming months will be as well).

Reactions: 7 users
Thanks for the kind words, those are good points to remind myself of! I keep telling myself it will work out in the end, this month will just be a roller coaster of emotions (as I'm sure the upcoming months will be as well).

From what I’ve seen in previous years’ cohorts, there is really no predictive validity of that first notification or whether invites come in earlier or later in the process :)

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
One of my top sites was supposed to send out notifications today and I've been stressed that I didn't get one. I finally recheck APPIC and the site recently pushed back their notification date. I had no idea they could do that (although I was expecting some notifications would be late). A whole day on pins and needles for no reason but at least I know I'm still possibly in the running.

Question - is Southwest Consortium APPIC# 2035? This was my initial assumption but also didn't realize this site had a Neuropsych track, for which someone received an invitation. Any info will be appreciated!

Good luck to everyone. I was in your shoes just three years ago. You'll get through it and like someone else said, it is around 4-7 invitations after about 15 applications. If anyone has questions about internship at an inpatient psychiatric hospital, I'd be happy to answer questions through PM, as that's where I did my internship.

Question - is Southwest Consortium APPIC# 2035? This was my initial assumption but also didn't realize this site had a Neuropsych track, for which someone received an invitation. Any info will be appreciated!

I have no idea. I received this info via DM but I will ask the person who sent it.

I have no idea. I received this info via DM but I will ask the person who sent it.

Thank you, Grenth - you have already taken on enough work for this forum, so don't go out of your way! It's not super important but thought someone else might be able to speak to the site name.

Thank you, Grenth - you have already taken on enough work for this forum, so don't go out of your way! It's not super important but thought someone else might be able to speak to the site name.

I'm happy to help. So far it's been a good way to cope with my stress. I'll let you know if I hear back.

I feel like there were more notifications this day last year? I wonder what gives?

Maybe because last year Nov 1 landed on a Thursday and this year it landed on a Friday? Not sure, but maybe having that extra weekday last year (vs. going straight into the weekend this year) helped.

I just got one of those mass emails from Stanford counseling center saying they received my app and have started reviewing everyone today. They also said that interview invites would go out after Thanksgiving, with the two interview dates being 12/9 & 12/16

I just got one of those mass emails from Stanford counseling center saying they received my app and have started reviewing everyone today. They also said that interview invites would go out after Thanksgiving, with the two interview dates being 12/9 & 12/16

Quite a short period of time to schedule a flight for only two available interview dates, assuming you are not local.

I got this submission via DM (this is not my invite).

Official Site Name: Travis County Juvenile Probation Dept.
Date Invitation Received: 11/08/19
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): email
Offered Interview Dates: Jan 9/10/13/14
(In honor of last year) If & How you're staying sane
: binge watching TV shows! lol

Last edited:
Official Site Name: University of Arkansas Medical Sciences
Date Invitation Received: 11/8/19
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): Email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Child Track
Offered Interview Dates: 12/6 12/11 1/7 1/16
: Binge Watching Netflix and Video games

Reactions: 6 users
I got this submission via DM.

Official Site Name: Travis County Juvenile Probation Dept.
Date Invitation Received: 11/08/19
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): email
Offered Interview Dates: Jan 9/10/13/14
: binge watching TV shows! lol
Congrats!

I’ve applied to this site as well and haven’t heard anything yet. Does anyone know if sites tend to send out invitations prior to rejects?

• Sad
Congrats!

I’ve applied to this site as well and haven’t heard anything yet. Does anyone know if sites tend to send out invitations prior to rejects?

Before, after, in-between waves of invites (if site does multiple waves). It is entirely dependent on the site and its review structure. I would imagine that the most common order of events would be rejections last, as many will notify by 12/15 at the latest. Even this, though, will depend on site. If you peruse previous years' threads, you might find some information about the particular site.

Ultimately, hope for the best! You can't be certain of your status until the information is provided.

Those applying to VAs, tomorrow is Veterans Day, so that may or may not impact any invites going out. Just thought I’d give folks a reminder about that!

I have officially found out how I am going to keep sane during this process: learning Portugeues via Rosetta Stone, and my new found addiction, World of Warcraft.

WoW classic or retail?

Evidently I have access to Classic and Battle of Aeroth (not sure if that's the correct spelling)? I went on their website, created an account, downloaded the mac .dmg file and began playing the Battle of Aeroth version.

I received this via DM (this is not my invite).

Official Site Name: Mass General / Harvard
Date Invitation Received: 11/09/19
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): personal email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Integrated Brain Health
Offered Interview Dates: 1/20
(In honor of last year) If & How you're staying sane: so much Netflix

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
I received this via DM (this is not my invite).

Official Site Name: Mass General / Harvard
Date Invitation Received: 11/09/19
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): personal email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Integrated Brain Health
Offered Interview Dates: 1/20
(In honor of last year) If & How you're staying sane: so much Netflix

So I guess some places work weekends! :p

So I guess some places work weekends! :p

The downside of applying to only federal sites as I am is I know if I don't get an invite 8-4 on a weekday I'm probably out of luck! However that schedule is among the reasons I'm applying to those sites

The downside of applying to only federal sites as I am is I know if I don't get an invite 8-4 on a weekday I'm probably out of luck! However that schedule is among the reasons I'm applying to those sites

I applied to 13 VAs! I feel ya.

My husband is Brazilian, and in 10 years of marriage, I have barely been able to converse with my mother-in-law. Part of his family live north of Tampa, so we visit them often.
Omg bless you in your quest. My husband still has not learned my native language. So you said it only took you ten years of marriage?? We have been married only 3...7 to go haha

• Haha
Omg bless you in your quest. My husband still has not learned my native language. So you said it only took you ten years of marriage?? We have been married only 3...7 to go haha

I've been ultra busy to dedicate time to learning it. I've picked up phrases here and there, learned some basic vocabulary over time, but recently I have dedicated time to it. I'm taking time off to heal, so I am home all day doing nothing (and loving it). Figured I would have some fun while I'm at it. It's nice to give my brain a vacation from the norm.