APMLE Part 2 - Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

J29622

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I had a few questions about Part 2.

- For those of you who used BoardVitals questions to prepare, what did you think of them relative to the real thing? Was it easier / harder / same in difficulty, or was it to difficult to compare? Did you feel that it was worth going through all the questions for?

- Is the % score cutoff similar to Part 1, which IIRC was something like 55-65% right give or take? I know nobody knows the exact numbers except perhaps NBPME, but I'm just trying to get an idea of how the exam is structured.

Thanks for any input.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I did all the BoardVitals questions. They were probably the best study resource for part 2. Do as many as possible (maybe even go through it twice if you have time) because I thought the questions were very comparable. If you're getting 70-ish% on BV questions you should be fine for the exam.

Other study tips- this is a hard exam to study for because it's toward the end of the year, you're on externships, you are tired, interviews are coming up, etc. You just gotta force yourself to spend at least an hour a day about 2 months out from the exam studying. I didn't study for interviews because this was essentially studying for interviews.

Like I said BV is the best study resource. I read Watkins once, it's alright. I wouldn't read it more than once. Talk to your upperclassmen because there's a few part II PDF study resources floating around. They're like Watkins, good to read through once if you have time but again BV questions were the best study resource for me

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I did all the BoardVitals questions. They were probably the best study resource for part 2. Do as many as possible (maybe even go through it twice if you have time) because I thought the questions were very comparable. If you're getting 70-ish% on BV questions you should be fine for the exam.

Other study tips- this is a hard exam to study for because it's toward the end of the year, you're on externships, you are tired, interviews are coming up, etc. You just gotta force yourself to spend at least an hour a day about 2 months out from the exam studying. I didn't study for interviews because this was essentially studying for interviews.

Like I said BV is the best study resource. I read Watkins once, it's alright. I wouldn't read it more than once. Talk to your upperclassmen because there's a few part II PDF study resources floating around. They're like Watkins, good to read through once if you have time but again BV questions were the best study resource for me

what do you recommend to go through after going through Watkins?

what do you recommend to go through after going through Watkins?

I only used Watkins and Board Vitals so maybe someone else can let you know some other resources

I used Pocket pod and reinforced with Prism Plus.. Then for specific sections like medicine (anemia, vitamin deficiencies, cardio, etc) I used quizlet. I just typed in apmle part 2 or pod boards part 2, and you'll see so many resources pop up. Including quizlets for each section of pocket pod, shout out to ppl from prior years who put in all that work. There's also a a youtube page called dirty medicine for usmle. Watch those if you get a chance. Helped me remember little tidbits that came up in the exam. Did not use Board Vitals for this one though.

Some good resources that I'd recommend:
- Watkins (Pocket Pods) provides a good comprehensive review of the material. There are some glaring omissions and errors though, so I would only use it as a guide.
- McGlamry's perioperative management and anesthesia chapter
- Christman's radiology textbook - particularly the first chapter on radiology safety and physics
- BoardVitals questions were decent, though some of the questions were downright ridiculous

Also, don't overlook medicine topics. They were surprisingly more nitpicky and knowing the various diagnostic and treatment algorithms are useful. I know I was surprised by the specificity.

Some good resources that I'd recommend:
- Watkins (Pocket Pods) provides a good comprehensive review of the material. There are some glaring omissions and errors though, so I would only use it as a guide.
- McGlamry's perioperative management and anesthesia chapter
- Christman's radiology textbook - particularly the first chapter on radiology safety and physics
- BoardVitals questions were decent, though some of the questions were downright ridiculous

Also, don't overlook medicine topics. They were surprisingly more nitpicky and knowing the various diagnostic and treatment algorithms are useful. I know I was surprised by the specificity.
if you get a chance.. any tips for the cspe?

if you get a chance.. any tips for the cspe?

Take 30 min of your life, review common podiatry problems like plantar fasciitis and how to treat them, and go take the test. Just be pleasant and normal. It's very hard to fail. You can practically kill a patient but if you are nice and treat the patient with respect you will still pass

Reactions: 1 user