APMLE Part 1 retake (3rd Attempt) Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

footbandit

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I was looking for some advice/studying suggestions for APMLE Part 1 retake (3rd Attempt). I was competent in Lower anatomy and Pharmacology. Below is what I have been doing so far. Please let me know what I can do to successfully pass on my next attempt. Thank you.

1st Attempt - Score 65
Prep:
-For LEA I used Ohio notes - reviewed twice
-Sketchy Micro - videos and practice questions once
-USMLE 1st Aid - reviewed twice
-Boardvitals - reviewed twice
-Quizlets - for lower and micro

2nd Attempt - Score 70
-LEA- Ohio notes, Temple flashcards - reviewed twice
-Sketchy Micro - videos and some practice questions
-Pathoma - reviewed once
-Boards and beyond - reviewed once
-Boardvitals - reviewed once
-BRS Pharm flashcards - reviewed a couple of times
-BRS Micro flashcards - reviewed once
-Quizlets - supplemented lower
-Anki - to supplement each subject
-Official practice tests - scored 70-75 range on both

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone, I was looking for some advice/studying suggestions for APMLE Part 1 retake (3rd Attempt). I was competent in Lower anatomy and Pharmacology. Below is what I have been doing so far. Please let me know what I can do to successfully pass on my next attempt. Thank you.

1st Attempt - Score 65
Prep:
-For LEA I used Ohio notes - reviewed twice
-Sketchy Micro - videos and practice questions once
-USMLE 1st Aid - reviewed twice
-Boardvitals - reviewed twice
-Quizlets - for lower and micro

2nd Attempt - Score 70
-LEA- Ohio notes, Temple flashcards - reviewed twice
-Sketchy Micro - videos and some practice questions
-Pathoma - reviewed once
-Boards and beyond - reviewed once
-Boardvitals - reviewed once
-BRS Pharm flashcards - reviewed a couple of times
-BRS Micro flashcards - reviewed once
-Quizlets - supplemented lower
-Anki - to supplement each subject
-Official practice tests - scored 70-75 range on both
What's your weakest part you think? It appears that you have appropriate resources. You studied 2x already and still didn't pass. Maybe it is the way you study and retaining information.

LEA is largest part on part 1. Appears that you have been using same material for most important part of the exam. Idk how good Ohio notes are, but LEA should be your strongest part along with Micro and Pharm. There should be no reason you do anything but excellent on LEA, Micro and Pharm and Immuno. That's like 2/3 of the exam. I belive, that, when I calculated if you get perfect score on LEA, Micro, Pharm, it almost guarantees you a pass. Then use Pathoma. I used BRS for Physiology. School notes for general anatomy. Studied biochem for like 4 hrs from USMLe book.

Search prior part 1 threads on here. There is a ton of information.

Reactions: 4 users
No one cares (or should care) how many attempts it takes you as long as you pass. The key part is the passing part, and to not get kicked out of your university for taking it too many times.

For boards you just have to play the game to win. The game is to understand the same types of questions and topics they ask over and over again.

From what it looks like, you going over board vitals once, and many of these sources just once, isn't enough. You should understand the ins and out of board vitals like the back of your hand.

Glancing over sketchy micro isn't really adequate. You should know the vast majority of sketchy micro like second nature.

That being said, since you've taken the test twice, you should be able to understand the repeated topics that show up over an over again on boards. You should have retained the types of questions you saw on boards and be able to answer it better for the next time.

I remember what boards asked and what sources I used and I'm fairly confident if you knew everything on sketchy micro and pharm, decent Lower notes, superficial gross anatomy notes, you should pass every time.

In my opinion, biochemistry is probably the most unpredictable, followed by physiology and pathology. But if you knew the other subjects using the sources I mentioned, you'd never fail.