AP Psychology and AP Spanish V???

amd123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do colleges care about foreign languages? Do I need to take one during college for a Pre Med/Bio/Pre Dentistry? Also, would a psychology benefit me at all?

Members don't see this ad.

At the point where you get to APs and especially classes like AP Spanish V it really just depends on what you'll enjoy more and what you'll do well in. Every college is going to have different requirements by major but you'll probably have to take at least one foreign language or place out of it with AP. Psychology would just be something you're interested in doing as an extra... it'll probably boost your GPA if you're good at it.

I'm actually taking the equivalent of both in dual enrollment. General Psych this summer and Intermediate Spanish in the fall.

Do colleges care about foreign languages? Do I need to take one during college for a Pre Med/Bio/Pre Dentistry? Also, would a psychology benefit me at all?
I would think that they really only care that you take 4 years of a foreign language - or so I've heard...

I'm taking AP Psychology right now, and it's been actually really interesting and some of the Biological information regarding Psychology is interesting as well. I would recommend it.

As for AP Spanish, I'm taking 4 APs this year and choose not to take AP Spanish and took Honors Spanish and I'm not interested in it and would rather take another AP. I don't think it's really that necessary...

Members don't see this ad :)
At the point where you get to APs and especially classes like AP Spanish V it really just depends on what you'll enjoy more and what you'll do well in. Every college is going to have different requirements by major but you'll probably have to take at least one foreign language or place out of it with AP. Psychology would just be something you're interested in doing as an extra... it'll probably boost your GPA if you're good at it.

I'm actually taking the equivalent of both in dual enrollment. General Psych this summer and Intermediate Spanish in the fall.

I hope you do well in spanish it's so hard to deal with . :scared:

I hope you do well in spanish it's so hard to deal with . :scared:

This'll be my eleventh year taking Spanish, so I'm not too terribly worried... though I am a bit rusty and my grammar is crap.

Wow your lucky , I only took it 2 years , that's all my school offered . Probably why I've never fully caught on . It's a love/hate thing with me concerning spanish and higher level maths ....:rolleyes:

Psych often falls under the category of one of the core requirements you need to complete when starting college. You can apply your AP credit towards this. In high school I took Spanish V as well, but I'll probably end up using it as a free elective before I graduate. There isn't a specific requirement for foreign language.

Oooh, it must be AP/IB test season. Definitely brings back memories. :scared:

Good luck!:thumbup:

Colleges love to see foreign languages. I got accepted into 2 UCs with only 2 years of foreign language, but some schools do require four years.

Psychology is a good choice because it's fairly easy, so you can add an AP class to your transcript without putting in tons of extra study time. Also, you'll probably have to take a social science class in college, so if you pass the psych AP exam there's one class out of the way. But I'm biased because I'm a psych major :)