AP Credits (which ones apply and should I apply any at all?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

predentwasconfused

Waiting on interviews!
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, so I'm a high school senior, I'm going to a public university (UIC).

I've heard a lot about AP credits not being accepted at dental schools. I've taken 6 AP courses (AP Chem, AP Calc AB, AP Calc BC, AP Bio, AP Physics 1, AP Lit and Comp) and I know most dental schools don't allow for any AP credit to be applied for pre-reqs, and they usually include the sciences and maths, right?

I don't know the specifics of each dental school since I obviously have no clue which ones I'm going to apply to at this point, but I'd prefer UIC's School of Dentistry at this point, but clearly might change. Probably flying all over the country to apply but you never know.

And kind of a silly question, but I just wanted to know: Say I'd taken AP US, World, or Gov. Would any of those credits applied carry over at all, since they're all history-based courses that shouldn't be a pre-req for dental school?

One last question: Is this the same route for med school? I'm not applying to it at all, but my siblings are considering it and some of my friends, too, so I wanted to warn them in advance if they have the same situation as I do.

Members don't see this ad.