This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nightowl54

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I want to drop a math class I am taking this semester (for personal reasons and scheduling conflicts), but I'm wondering if I even need take it next semester at all. I have AP credit from AP Stats and AP Calc AB, and I'm wondering if I can use both of those credits to satisfy the math pre-reqs for Harvard and BU?

On the Harvard website, it mentions that while taking the prereqs at a four-year college is recommended, they do accept AP credits.

Also on the BU website, it says specifically on the math section (where it says they require two math classes), that "Advanced Placement credits will be accepted if the degree-granting institution awarded college credit toward the bachelor’s degree." At my university, my AP calc and AP stats gave me credit for gen ed classes.

Basically, I am wondering if I can use the credit I received from both AP Calc and AP Stats to cover the 2 math classes that are required by both Harvard and BU.

I understand that "math is important" but given my circumstances and scheduling conflicts, I am not able to take it so easily at my school.

Members don't see this ad.

By gen Ed credits do you mean just general course credits or actual math credits

When they say that, then it means that it can be accepted to fulfill your prereqs if and only if your institution posts the credit to your official transcript. However, schools often review their requirements, and revise them as they see fit. If you are early in your college career right now, it can change by the time you get to applying.