AOA, top 25 school, Failed Step 2CS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

freefall

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in total shock right now (and so is my Dean).

I have no idea what to do or what the implications will be. Throughout med school, I've always gotten the highest marks for my interpersonal skills, but this is the exact area of Step 2CS that they failed me.

In typical Kubler-Ross fashion, I am in total denial right now. I just don't understand what happened, especially considering that my school has the largest standardized patient program in the country. And, we've been working with SPs since day one.

So far, no one in my school has failed either of the Step II exams this year (except, for me, of course). The school will still let me graduate, but I am not sure how I am going to tell the program I matched into (a top 3 optho program).

Well, as you can imagine, this has been a pretty crappy day. I am also a bit ticked off about the fact that there is nothing I or my school can do (The NBME gives essentially no feedback). I feel totally helpless, upset, extremely embarassed, and very much an outcast.

Members don't see this ad.

maybe you just dont jive with being a doctor in the first place. Every time that you defend yourself, you look worse and worse.
Stop blaming everyone in the world except yourself.

Your medical knowledge probably, is what probably set you up for failure Mr. Superbad Rugbynerd. You basically do not care at all about others, and model yourself far above anybody else. You make fun of people from India, FMGs, African Americans.

LOL, I look worse and worse? Just keep talking bro.:sleep:

And why are you so determined to make it sound like Indians and African-Americans are inferior? You are clearly the racist here. Every race and nationality is just as worthy as you to be a doctor, so maybe you need a little attitude adjustment "andwhat."

And thanks for repeating exactly what I said above, i.e., maybe I can improve, but the NBME gives no info on how. And are you even a doctor?? How do you have time as a "resident" to sit on here all day insulting people?

LOL, I look worse and worse? Just keep talking bro.:sleep:

And why are you so determined to make it sound like Indians and African-Americans are inferior? You are clearly the racist here. Every race and nationality is just as worthy as you to be a doctor, so maybe you need a little attitude adjustment "andwhat."

And thanks for repeating exactly what I said above, i.e., maybe I can improve, but the NBME gives no info on how. And are you even a doctor?? How do you have time as a "resident" to sit on here all day insulting people?

ha ha calm down Rugbynerd aka Superbad.
Nobody is insulting you, you are somewhat actually insulting yourself, I am just trying to help you out. Cummon dont be so hard on the environment, just try and maintain a low profile, you know, actually pretend to care about other people. You are not helping your cause, with your venomous insults towards other races and specialties.

So heres a tip for you Superbad aka Rugbynerd.
Stop blaming the whole world that you failed, figure out your mistakes, and take the test again.

Certainly I was not coming off as being superior, just saying that you should maintain as low a profile as possible. I have seen Physician Assistant students with very similar mentality, and they were not treated very nicely in the end. It is somehow - actually believe it or not -an inferiority complex.

My only hope is that someday I can be as exalted as you all are. Maybe by congratulating myself, and patting each other on the back, and telling anyone who dissents or fails how bad they are... maybe then I will be as glorified as Sage880... AKA andwhat... AKA mjl1717.
I wasn't trying to come off as superior. I'm not saying I'm the exact model you should follow. I fight the urge to make assumptions based on age, sex, race, and socio-economic status all the time and it annoys me when I realize I've made some kind of snap judgement. I think not having prejudice takes a constant effort. It's easy enough when things are going well but on this forum it seems when people are down they lash out and kick whatever visible target they can find. I just think we should all be careful not to do this in any situation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Everyone;

Let's keep this civilized and refrain from name-calling and personal insults.

Thanks,
SoCuteMD

Some of my deeper thoughts:
I use to think that step 1 had questions on it where someone could tell if one was racist.. But I could see step 2 csa which I havent taken yet might be better at eliciting someones GUT instinct that they have LITTLE control of... Because it forces intimate social interreaction, (which not everyone is good at-no matter how brilliant you are) and partially has to do with a persons etiquette, conscientiousness, meticulous order, compassion, and how well a person does socially......{ and believe it or not (Im not trying to offend anyone) a persons upbring, real time life experience and what did his mama teach him, tell him and expose him to. Id say all this plays a role in the karma one exudes in human interreaction.. I think step 2csa is more then how smart you are..[you actually have to prove you can fake being a good human being even if you are not] Just my 2 cents..

Some of my deeper thoughts:
I use to think that step 1 had questions on it where someone could tell if one was racist.. But I could see step 2 csa which I havent taken yet might be better at eliciting someones GUT instinct that they have LITTLE control of... Because it forces intimate social interreaction, (which not everyone is good at-no matter how brilliant you are) and partially has to do with a persons etiquette, conscientiousness, meticulous order, compassion, and how well a person does socially......{ and believe it or not (Im not trying to offend anyone) a persons upbring, real time life experience and what did his mama teach him, tell him and expose him to. Id say all this plays a role in the karma one exudes in human interreaction.. I think step 2csa is more then how smart you are..[you actually have to prove you can fake being a good human being even if you are not] Just my 2 cents..

agree completely, how good or bad of a person you are.... truly...

Wow, I started reading this thread and became immediately infuriated...even more so when I actually read people coming to your defense, as if failing a freakin' test and being frustrated justifies the comments you made!! I mean SuperBad if you HONESTLY couldn't pick up on the sarcasm in his saying the foreign grads were "more compassionate" than he, then either you are ridiculously naive or you really sucked at English Lit in school. So, naturally I became more and more upset as I read on, but then I read the apology. And while it doesn't excuse the comments, it was still a respectable apology. But you just keep digging yourself in deeper. Personally, it's not like I, as an African American male, mind the phrase "black accent" so much. What I mind is the racist connotation behind it, as if A.) all black people talk alike B.) No black person can speak "proper" English (whatever the hell that means...I mean didn't I read that they are adding Will Ferrel's "ginormous" to the dictionary???) C.) black people haven't been in this country for HUNDREDS of years; I mean you say "black accent" like black people just walked off the boat yesterday! The problem with what you said and the way that you said it is that it implies YOUR accent is THE "American" accent and everyone else is an outsider...as if white people didn't walk off a boat themselves! Furthermore, given the vastly growing minority population (esp Hispanic) and the fact that the USMLE is supposed to test you on current conditions it hardly seems "unfair" that you would see SP's who will likely comprise a significant portion of the patient base (even if not necessarily YOUR pt base).

my point is that clearly I didn't "jive" with the actors, but I have no idea how...
You see, it's snide remarks like this that hint to the closet biggot! I think that's what Sage was pointing to when he said maybe you should take a look into your personality.
....And by the way, another sign of the closet biggot is the "knee jerk" reaction to try to indicate how many black friends you have...just FYI for future reference.
Personally, I hope you are the "really nice guy" (albeit self-proclaimed....:rolleyes:) that you have repeatedly reported. And I don't even care if you are racist, it's your right to be. But you can't honestly expect to say the things that you said (typed) and not expect a ferrocious retort. If you had only approached the situation the way you did your apology and your last comment (save the "jive" comment obviously) then no one would've been outraged and thought you a racist a$$...whether you are or aren't.

My only hope is that someday I can be as exalted as you all are. Maybe by congratulating myself, and patting each other on the back, and telling anyone who dissents or fails how bad they are... maybe then I will be as glorified as Sage880... AKA andwhat... AKA mjl1717.

And my point is not so much that people were biased against me for being white... my point is that clearly I didn't "jive" with the actors, but I have no idea how... so maybe the NBME could release some data to help me improve. I think it is lame that this test is supposed to help us learn bedside manners, and yet we get absolutely no feedback, except, essentially, that "you suck." I'm more than willing to learn. If I had an arrogant attitude (which I really don't think I did... I really am a nice guy and got honors in almost all my rotations with tons of notes saying how I had excellent interaction with patients and families), then tell me, and I'll change it. If I wasn't compassionate enough, then tell me. If I didn't explain things well enough, then tell me. But how can I improve if I don't even know what I did wrong????

you know, i don't think you are trying to be racist, but you are succeeding anyway. i think you are ignorant of the subtle racism in your comments. "black accent" doesn't really mean anything....some blacks have South African accents, some have Carribean accents, some have Southern drawls, and yes, some may say there is a characteristic African American accent too. But the truth is, we all have accents. There is the Suburbian accent, the Brooklyn accent, the Austrailian accent, the Midwest accent, the Valleygirl accent, the British accent, etc.

However, the language is the same. English.

You are upset because you think the SP was unqualified to assess your communication in English. Would you have felt the same way if the SP had a British accent?

The bottom line is, you felt the SP was unqualified based on her "black accent" and not her command of the actual language. This is discrimination, as you assume that "black accent" = "inferior language skills."

You said nothing about whether her english was BROKEN or not, which wouldn't have spoken to accent.

And at the end of the day, how do you know that the SP's weren't simply acting?

you know, i don't think you are trying to be racist, but you are succeeding anyway. i think you are ignorant of the subtle racism in your comments. "black accent" doesn't really mean anything....some blacks have South African accents, some have Carribean accents, some have Southern drawls, and yes, some may say there is a characteristic African American accent too. But the truth is, we all have accents. There is the Suburbian accent, the Brooklyn accent, the Austrailian accent, the Midwest accent, the Valleygirl accent, the British accent, etc.

However, the language is the same. English.

You are upset because you think the SP was unqualified to assess your communication in English. Would you have felt the same way if the SP had a British accent?

The bottom line is, you felt the SP was unqualified based on her "black accent" and not her command of the actual language. This is discrimination, as you assume that "black accent" = "inferior language skills."

You said nothing about whether her english was BROKEN or not, which wouldn't have spoken to accent.

And at the end of the day, how do you know that the SP's weren't simply acting?

of note, Kaplan standardized patients are actual actors, and did change their accents frequently. I found out that the actors in the CS examination get pretty decent pay. And yes they "act" accents several times. Its cool to get an insight into the process sometimes.

hey there,

I'm a new member. In fact, I found out about this forum after I failed my step 2 CS. I felt so bad that I have to search online to see if I'm the only one who failed this f. test.

As for a few of you here in this forum, I got very good scores for step 1 (242) and step 2 ck (250). Just got the official result yesterday, failed CS at the most surprising part- communication and interpersonal skills!!!!!!!

My med school in NY organized a special course for us related to the change in passing requirement. I got 4 days course and studied for 2 weeks then took the Mock exam with 8 SPs in my school.
Everything was prepared as in real exam. After that I got feedback by faculty members, etc. I passed the simulated exam at my school with very high performance on communication skills. In fact, SPs rated me as "a good communicator in nature"!!!!!

As for with real life rotations, I always got high pass or honor....and patients loved me. So I have no idea about why I mess up my real exam.

Perhaps I got jet lag and a bit tired on the test day...but I think I did apply most major requirements....
Probably, i let the anxiety took control over me....
But I think to pass CS, you need some lucks as well as your destiny is determined by SPs....you gotta make them love you....not easy when you're nervous.....

I feel really down.....and I risk not to be able to graduate on time and miss the Match this year....
My failure already has been sent to residency programs!!

Everybody is shocked.

I read several posts. Some students were thinking of the possibilities of bias in certain testing centers. I'm not sure if it's true. Some guys failed in Atlanta, one failed in Chicago, I failed in LA. So it's all over the places......

I took the exam after the passing rate was raising.

I was planning to match into competitive programs...now not just miss this year but have bad record as well. Some nice programs don't accept any failure in any steps.

I could not sleep for 2 nights already.....still have to work long hours at my hospital.....

Anyway, somehow I feel taking CS is just like taking driving test...you never know for sure why you pass or fail.

Still remember that I failed 5 times for my driving license long time ago at the same damn DMV in CA where all the examiners were Hispanics. They even used rulers to measure the distance between the curve and my car's wheels when I pulled over.
Then I moved to another DMV and immediately passed my test..something I should have done earlier.

Maybe it has something to be done with the testing center too. Some SPs in my testing center (LA) had very thick accent but for them, my NJ accent is considered as strong too!!!

I could not find a spot in PA to take my exam at the time....It's closer to my home and my med school.

all in all.....I'm not the only one who failed and the fact that I failed does not mean I'm a bad or stupid student.

Just a pity.

Good lucks to you all.
/Minerva

add me to the crowd of those who have failed Step 2 CS solely for the ill-defined "Communication and Interpersonal Skills" criterion. (i passed all the other sections, and did just fine on my highly-ranked school's OSCEs along with step 1 and 2 CK.)

so what went wrong? well, i DID ask all patients if they smoke, drink, or do other drugs. is this racist? if you think so, then you're on crack yourself -- i ask this of every patient. (and if you think being on crack is some racist joke then you need to rethink your own assumptions.)

another thing that might have hurt me in retrospect is that i am quick, and was out of the room before the bell in every case save for maybe one. despite being quick, did i wash my hands and drape the patients? yes. did i ask them if they had any other concerns? yes. did i summarize my findings and the next step? yes.

given all of this, why did i fail?! it's beyond me.

for what it's worth i've been informed that 3 other people in my (large) graduating class also failed CS this round. i think this is ridiculous, yet i am forced to jump through this hoop so will pony up the $1k and dance like a marionette once again.

Hello everyone,

I haven't taken the test yet and am trying to figure out when to schedule the exam. I would like to take it right before I graduate because I have an ER rotation that month and think that would be good practice for it. But, I don't want to take it right before graduation and then happen to fail it because then I might not be able to partake in residency activities depending on where I match. Do you have any recommendations for the latest that a person can take the exam and still leave comfortable room to retake the exam in case of a failure?

I was looking at the NMBE and USMLE websites and saw that there is 60 days that must pass after finding out a person failed til you can register again. So, if you find out 2 months after taking the exam and then leave 2 weeks for additional review then additional 2 months til getting the 2nd set of results, that's like a total of 4.5 months before graduation/starting residency.... which would be in January...

Am I overthinking this thing or does it make sense that I should schedule it in Jan? I am not extremely worried about passing, but if I did not pass, it would be horrible for me not to be able to start residency with the rest of the class. So the potential badness of not passing to me sort of weigh heavy.

Thank you!

Ok now this thread is scaring me. I just took the CS last week. I've been doing relatively well at my school, with good grades on my OSCE's...yet I was nervous/anxious and forgot to ask about family hx once, forgot to ask meds/allergies once, forgot to tell the pt i wanted to do a rectal/pelvic though I put it in the patient note.

All my friends minus one passed...now I'm scared.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interesting. I did marginal on step 1 and step 2 CK (failed ck the first time), but thought CS was probably the easiest test I had ever taken since undergrad school. I mean it seemed like a joke, just something NBME did to make some extra money from med students. I really cannot imagine anyone failing it - so I have to admit, if what you tell us is true (AOA, etc etc) is true, then I am amazed.

After I took it (I am an IMG) I told many of my classmates to get boards for wards and study for a day or so, practice with a family member. Our student body president the year before I took it told me she read boards for wards and then practiced with a stuffed bear. She is in her last year of residency. As far as I know nobody in my class failed cs - it just seems like such a cakewalk : the cases are very obvious, and other than that you need to smile, demonstrate basic politeness and thoughtfulness, and enunciate well.

Anyway, several thoughts come to mind. First is something I was taught yeaers ago, and was reitered by a doctor I did a pain management rotation with. He is one of the smartest people I know - from Switzerland (he is a FMG), first did a surgery residency - did not like that so then he did a anesthesiology residency - did not like that, and then did a pain fellowship and likes that. He said something to the effect that its a shame that the medical education process is so heavily weighted on memorizing things from books (like the Krebs cycle) - when it ought to be more about developing people skills. Many students when they get to medical school are very good at memorizing junk, and spend alot of time in the books - but are also good candidates for the reality TV show BEAUTY AND THE GEEK, just a wee bit awkward with people.

William Osler knew this. For those of you who do not recognize the name, he was the doctor who started the first residency programs, and the tradition of having medical students shadow doctors in a hospital - believing that patient interaction was more important than spending hours in a lecture hall. He said something to the effect of ; a medical student who does not study texts is like a sailor who does not have a map but a medical student who does not treat patients is like a sailor who never sets to sea. He recognized the important ingredient in medical training was interacting with people in a real way. Kind of like Bruce Lee who said martial artists who train but never get in real fights are like swimmers who only practice swimming on dry land.

Secondly, I am not sure medical school trains doctors to be very warm and fuzzy(except maybe pedes). It is a frequent comment from just plain ol' people I have spoken with is that the MD's they meet are rude, arrogant, and cold. I think, as far as personality goes, a good profession to emulate are : waitresses (a good one who gets tipped well knows how to establish rapport quickly).

The businesses I owned for years was a service oriented business that dealt with the general public. I took numerous courses that taught establishing common ground, negotiating, and basically manipulating their emotions - creating a sense of "we" instead of "me and you". I sold my last business 3 years ago, and still get occassional calls from customers who just want my opinion. Right now as I wait for residency, my job is nothing but managing average people all day long - and from my evaluations and comments I am well liked and successful - I recently got a sterling letter of recommendation from a district level manager. The courses helped me immensely - because more naturally I am a prick. Maybe it was all the years I worked as security in a bar before owning my own businesses that made me a prick - where I got to deal with the public by knocking them out - no, honestly I was a prick way before that. I love the internet because I can be myself (a prick), a privilege I am denied in my day to day life.

Its very hard for me to deal with the "general" public, because I often don't like them. But the techniques I learned in the seminars has made a huge difference in being able to make people "think" I like them - and that makes them want to do business with me.

Being an IMG/FMG I cannot say for certain, but I really don't think AMGs learn well how to be warm and fuzzy. I see my brother,graduated from one of the most competitive USA schools, well known surgeon,has invented procedures, president of a major medical association, dept chair at a major US medical school - and often struggles with sympathy for patients (as opposed to empathy). He has a bad temper (just like I do) which he has displayed at work too often (which I don't - even as a bouncer in a bar I learned not to show anger, becuase it warns people a beating is coming, you lose your element of surprise) - he never punches anyone out, its just the verbal wounds he creates with patients and staff.

While most MD's are not that bad, at the same time, I have only met two (one was a recent Med/Ped grad who was my primary care for a year before leaving, and the other was a DO who was my primary care 10 years ago) that I would chose as my doctor - most doctors I have are ones I am basically stuck with because of insurance. I have met a huge number I hate, and like many of my friends consider them rude, arrogant, jerks who I would not associate with if it was not for my insurance carrier essentially forcing me too. If insurance reimbursement continues to decline it may be that doctors have to develop more of the attitude like McDonalds in which the idea is to serve the customer, and not : treat their disease, give some orders, act the know-it-all big shot, and get paid big bucks.

Wow, that was alot to write. After all that I guess I just have to say : damn dude, how the heck can you fail such an easy test!!! hahahahahahahaha.

(i passed all the other sections, and did just fine on my highly-ranked school's OSCEs along with step 1 and 2 CK.)

for what it's worth i've been informed that 3 other people in my (large) graduating class also failed CS this round. i think this is ridiculous, yet i am forced to jump through this hoop so will pony up the $1k and dance like a marionette once again.

I seriously cannot understand this. Are you an AMG?

The foreign Caribbean school I attended is filled to a large degree by non-traditional students. I do think their years of experience in other fields makes a huge difference in their ability to deal with people. I doubt most of them can hold a candle in basic sciences with a grad of John's Hopkins or Yale medical school, but all of them that I know of for years have passed step 2 CS. Heck for years only FMG's had to take CS. I don't think I know of anyone from my school failing CS in the 4 years I attended, although I myself failed step 2 ck the first time and scored marginally on step 1.

I am shaking my head as I read this - it almost seems like a goof or a stunt, I really cannot imagine how anyone, let alone an AMG could fail this.

I mean I almost feel like I have to ask if you have Star Trek memorabilia, or operated the audiovisual equipment in high school classes.

Being an IMG/FMG I cannot say for certain, but I really don't think AMGs learn well how to be warm and fuzzy.

I think developing such skills is up to the student, and if you don't choose to do so your school can't force it into you. I don't see a shortage of opportunities to practice and refine one's bedside manner in the US system.

As for 2CS, I think the main issue is that one cannot have genuine empathy for an actor (unless one is very gullible), so the patient interaction evaluation is not testing one's empathetic skills, but rather one's acting skills.

I think developing such skills is up to the student, and if you don't choose to do so your school can't force it into you. I don't see a shortage of opportunities to practice and refine one's bedside manner in the US system.

As for 2CS, I think the main issue is that one cannot have genuine empathy for an actor (unless one is very gullible), so the patient interaction evaluation is not testing one's empathetic skills, but rather one's acting skills.

The best thing to do is to pretend that YOU are an actor as well and that you actually care, even though you really don't give a rats behind. I went into my last 3 osce's with this mentality, being very fake and disingenuous, and i scored in the top 3 of my group on each one.

Totally out of line.

Yes you are right - totally unnecessary, as they are givens. I should have asked : have you ever kissed anyone and do you live in your parents basement?

Okay sort of kidding, I could not resist. That was uncalled for. I am sure you hang out with all the cool kids.

The best thing to do is to pretend that YOU are an actor as well and that you actually care, even though you really don't give a rats behind. I went into my last 3 osce's with this mentality, being very fake and disingenuous, and i scored in the top 3 of my group on each one.

I agree with you on this. Its somewhat a shame to gain guile, but faking it helps so much.

Yes you are right - totally unnecessary, as they are givens. I should have asked : have you ever kissed anyone and do you live in your parents basement?

You seriously need to be modded down.

You do realize as physicians, the world thinks we're a bunch of "nerds" anyways. No need to be an ass and look down on others via stereotypes.

I seriously cannot understand this. Are you an AMG?

The foreign Caribbean school I attended is filled to a large degree by non-traditional students. I do think their years of experience in other fields makes a huge difference in their ability to deal with people. I doubt most of them can hold a candle in basic sciences with a grad of John's Hopkins or Yale medical school, but all of them that I know of for years have passed step 2 CS. Heck for years only FMG's had to take CS. I don't think I know of anyone from my school failing CS in the 4 years I attended, although I myself failed step 2 ck the first time and scored marginally on step 1.

I am shaking my head as I read this - it almost seems like a goof or a stunt, I really cannot imagine how anyone, let alone an AMG could fail this.

I mean I almost feel like I have to ask if you have Star Trek memorabilia, or operated the audiovisual equipment in high school classes.

yes, i'm an american medical grad (-to-be), top 10ish school depending on the year. i think the fact that i didn't have any problem with the knowledge components meant that i didn't take CS seriously enough -- i got in there, went through the motions (all info, drape, wash hands, etc. etc.), and got out when i figured out their game.

apparently that's not enough. and fwiw, i'm going into radiology, so i am unapologetic for not being warm and fuzzy. i'm not going to dance in a bear suit on the peds ward, for sure... :laugh:

I am in total shock right now (and so is my Dean).

I have no idea what to do or what the implications will be. Throughout med school, I've always gotten the highest marks for my interpersonal skills, but this is the exact area of Step 2CS that they failed me.

In typical Kubler-Ross fashion, I am in total denial right now. I just don't understand what happened, especially considering that my school has the largest standardized patient program in the country. And, we've been working with SPs since day one.

So far, no one in my school has failed either of the Step II exams this year (except, for me, of course). The school will still let me graduate, but I am not sure how I am going to tell the program I matched into (a top 3 optho program).

Well, as you can imagine, this has been a pretty crappy day. I am also a bit ticked off about the fact that there is nothing I or my school can do (The NBME gives essentially no feedback). I feel totally helpless, upset, extremely embarassed, and very much an outcast.

Personally I think this is a goof. You have 14 posts, all of them in this thread - there is no real benefit for you to post this - so I think this is a goof, maybe wanting to create a squabble between AMG's in top schools and those that are somewhat jealous of them (such as myself), by creating an opportunity to poke at a weak spot. Why would an AMG of a top school come and reveal such a weakness? I think this is a BS post. I know some AMG's fail, but don't believe this post is legit.

Regarding those that fail, its possible that it is a lack of the ability to be or at least pretend to be warm and fuzzy when needed - thankfully there is radiology et al, which requires less Dale Carnegie type skills.

i also agree that a white male with a good physique is highest risk for failing (other than the 1% or so who cant speak english). i also would like to add that attractive people are more likely to fail ( do you understand why?? )

:laugh: I would think this is more goof, except I am sure you are serious. That is funny.

Almost never a week goes by that someone does not comment on my physique. Today a girl interrupts (I teach school right now) and asks how much I work out. I had a website that had among other things pictures of my naked from the waist up posted (for a reason, it is an athletic oriented page) and I was amused when people suggested I had cut and pasted my face (or a models face) on the body of someone with a famous physique. I taught college level anatomy this summer and was told the students called me "Dr.Goodbody" behind my back.

I mean if I had to bet something it would be, you consider yourself attracticve and you failed.

So I took CS yesterday and what pain in the rear end it was. HOnestly, the cases werent that difficult and there were only two where I wasn't sure about the Diagnoses. I am afraid I might have failed b/c I forgot to ask some Key questions in a few cases(e.g patient with ED did not ask if he was still having nocturnal erections). Also in one instance I laugh a little b/c the patient told me he had chest discomfort and I kept telling/asking him about his pain so he corrected me and said "Dr. is discomfort not pain"...so I fond that funny and smile and chuckle!! .......Ouch!!! I don't know why I found that funny but I am sure it will hurt me :(. Also, for I've been reading anfd hearing most of the poeple that have failed finish the patient encounter with time to spare, which is my case. I Never took the entire 15 minutes. As you guys can tell I am concern. This is going to suck and I hope if I have to retake it I can do it before graduation.

Holy crap. I just found I failed the CS. I cant f***** believe it. Ive done fairly well in med school( am an AMG), was in the top half of my class, 230s in step I, got 88 percentile on my schools OSCE. I saw the score report and said I did well in everything but failed the communication and interpersonal skills part. My question is that I checked the box that automatically transmits by USMLE transcript to ERAS and how is this going to hurt me in the match. Im trying to do a competitive residency.

My condolences to you guys. That just really sucks. I got my score back today too but ended up okay. I was scared the whole time because of this thread.

I think if you go to the register site there are plenty of spaces still available before May so try to get on that fast!

Holy crap. I just found I failed the CS. I cant f***** believe it. Ive done fairly well in med school( am an AMG), was in the top half of my class, 230s in step I, got 88 percentile on my schools OSCE. I saw the score report and said I did well in everything but failed the communication and interpersonal skills part. My question is that I checked the box that automatically transmits by USMLE transcript to ERAS and how is this going to hurt me in the match. Im trying to do a competitive residency.

Hey medstudent5241, I sent you a pm. I feel your pain as I am in a similar predicament and don't quite know what to do either.

Here I go, unfortunately joining the club - good medical school, good Step 1, good grades, AOA, and FAILED STEP 2 CS b/c of poor communication/interaction. :(

Needless to say, I'm shocked and extremely bothered by the fact that it's the middle of interview season and I automatically released my scores to schools.

Does anyone know if my chances of matching will be affected?
------------------------------------------------------------

I think I am misunderstanding the purpose of the exam. I wish I could get some good feedback from the USMLE people, so that I could improve. All my feedback from my school clerkships have been outstanding, so it's not very useful in this situation.

Anyway, life has some interesting turns and I'll suck it up and go on. And I do think that the draping thing is kind of silly in the given situation.

What is the process like to reschedule CS, and how long does it take? For example, does it require reapplying again even if I'm still within my 1-year eligibility, and does it require getting a new scheduling permit? I'm in a bit of a time crunch, so if someone could please tell me how long it takes to reapply from the date you get your score to the date you schedule your exam, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

yes, i'm an american medical grad (-to-be), top 10ish school depending on the year. i think the fact that i didn't have any problem with the knowledge components meant that i didn't take CS seriously enough -- i got in there, went through the motions (all info, drape, wash hands, etc. etc.), and got out when i figured out their game.

apparently that's not enough. and fwiw, i'm going into radiology, so i am unapologetic for not being warm and fuzzy. i'm not going to dance in a bear suit on the peds ward, for sure... :laugh:

here's an update to my personal story of Step 2 CS failure:

- failed it in July 2007
- found this out in October (?) 2007, immediately tried to reschedule, but nothing was open until February 2008 (the email notifications were useless)
- scores after Dec 31 are NOT reported until after rank order list submission
- interviewed at 8 rads programs, ranked 8 rads programs
- retook CS in Feb 2008
- didn't match to anything
- scrambled into both rads and internship (worst week EVER, but it worked out)
- got my passing retake CS score reported on March 26, the first day that the post-Jan 1 scores may be reported

moral of the story: don't piss off the actors. failing for Communications and Interpersonal Skills is the dumbest way you can piss away a whole year, your match prospects, and multiple thousands of dollars (both in retake fees and in that my interview trail was all for naught without a passing CS in hand).

if you do happen to fail take an extra year, immediately, and go through the interview season the next year, fresh in spirit and with all passing scores lined up. i wouldn't wish trying to scramble into a competitive field, such as rads, on my worst enemy.

good match
bad boards
AMG-to-be
decent med school
thought i failed
found out i passed

exhale