AOA PM&R accreditation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blastoff

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does any one know the status of the 6 DO PM&R residency program as far as accreditation goes? I tried emailing some programs and am still waiting on a reply. I know the only one that is dual accredited is Nassau University. Are the other 5 going to be there after the merger in 2020? I am doing an away rotation at larkin and mercy NY and was wondering if i should be concerned about this.

Members don't see this ad.

MSU is dual accredited.

I agree, I'd be concerned as well about the ACGME merger with some of the AOA programs. Not a good sign if they don't respond to your emails either, the PC should be responding to those.

MSU and Nassau are the only programs I would go to. The other programs are very new, so it's tough to determine the quality of education and ability to keep up accreditation. Larkin is semi-established but the program has integrity issues...stay clear.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I am not a resident at Larkin, but I went to NSU and have met several residents from the program. They seem to get pretty decent MSK training, but their inpatient experience seemed ok at best and they did A LOT of driving (sometimes well over an hour) to get places. They work at the VA in west palm beach, which if you aren't familiar with south FL is close 1.5hrs each way from Larkin, even without heavy traffic. The residents I did meet were all great people though and very likable. They are categorical so you don't have to move twice, but their intern year is weak at best as the acute hospital is barely bigger than my rehab hospital is now. I have heard stories of interns only carrying like 2-3 patients each and having limited interactions with attending's, including them sometimes just rounding with out the residents and not ever teaching. This may have improved and could all be totally different now as these are all stories from several years ago, but I would be sure to talk to as many RESIDENTS from there as possible to try and get an accurate picture of what the program is really like if you are interested in going there. Don't listen to what admin says there as I have heard that they seem to have an attitude that they are the greatest most desirable training program across all fields ever in the history of Osteopathic GME, but I doubt a hospital with like 4-5 ORs has awesome ortho, gen surg, opthal and anesthesiology training with out spending a ton of time elsewhere. And assuming they do spend a lot of time elsewhere they are then at the Mercy of that other program to treat them as equals and not like inferior residents from the outside. Residents have told me when they bring up issues about various things to GME that they typically have just told them to deal with it, even when they have had some very valid concerns about training issues. I never really got very in depth on things with the people who trained there other than travel issues, but since they are really only at Larkin as interns the PM&R people may be sheltered from that some. I would apply to allopathic programs too to get as many interviews as you can, but when you rotate their just make sure to ask as many residents how they feel about the program as you can. If the residents are frustrated they will let you know.

I am not a resident at Larkin, but I went to NSU and have met several residents from the program. They seem to get pretty decent MSK training, but their inpatient experience seemed ok at best and they did A LOT of driving (sometimes well over an hour) to get places. They work at the VA in west palm beach, which if you aren't familiar with south FL is close 1.5hrs each way from Larkin, even without heavy traffic. The residents I did meet were all great people though and very likable. They are categorical so you don't have to move twice, but their intern year is weak at best as the acute hospital is barely bigger than my rehab hospital is now. I have heard stories of interns only carrying like 2-3 patients each and having limited interactions with attending's, including them sometimes just rounding with out the residents and not ever teaching. This may have improved and could all be totally different now as these are all stories from several years ago, but I would be sure to talk to as many RESIDENTS from there as possible to try and get an accurate picture of what the program is really like if you are interested in going there. Don't listen to what admin says there as I have heard that they seem to have an attitude that they are the greatest most desirable training program across all fields ever in the history of Osteopathic GME, but I doubt a hospital with like 4-5 ORs has awesome ortho, gen surg, opthal and anesthesiology training with out spending a ton of time elsewhere. And assuming they do spend a lot of time elsewhere they are then at the Mercy of that other program to treat them as equals and not like inferior residents from the outside. Residents have told me when they bring up issues about various things to GME that they typically have just told them to deal with it, even when they have had some very valid concerns about training issues. I never really got very in depth on things with the people who trained there other than travel issues, but since they are really only at Larkin as interns the PM&R people may be sheltered from that some. I would apply to allopathic programs too to get as many interviews as you can, but when you rotate their just make sure to ask as many residents how they feel about the program as you can. If the residents are frustrated they will let you know.

thank you for the insight!

I also have a rotation set up at Larkin and have heard mixed things about the Hosptial but generally good things about the PM&R program. On the AOA residency search website they state they're ACGME/AOA dual accredited.. Any reason not to believe this information?

Unless you are an exceptionally weak candidate that could not imagine doing anything other than PM&R, I would not waste my time with Larkin.

Reactions: 1 user
I would stay far away from Larkin. Not only is travel time long, but intern year is heavy on Spanish patients. We will have language differences in our careers but the way the residents sounded, Spanish would hinder the exposure to quality clinical experiences.

The Larkin program is sending interns up to Palm Springs now. Sounds like that experience is quite a bit better from what I've gathered from current interns. So basically it is possible to never work in the actual Larkin Hospital if you are part of the PM&R program associated with it. Overall the program seems pretty legit and I'm not really seeing why people hate on it so much here. It is true that you have to drive quite a bit which def sucks...but beyond that the program's linked/categorical, the residents are smart/diligent, the attendings teach and the didactics are organized.

Also, if you plan to practice medicine in the Miami area, it seems that it would serve you well to know how to interact in Spanish to some functional degree regardless of which hospital you work in. It's just the nature of Miami...everywhere you go there, people are speaking Español.

Last edited:
The Larkin program is sending interns up to West Palm Beach now. Sounds like that experience is quite a bit better from what I've gathered from current interns. So basically it is possible to never work in the actual Larkin Hospital if you are part of the PM&R program associated with it. Overall the program seems pretty legit and I'm not really seeing why people hate on it so much here. It is true that you have to drive quite a bit which def sucks...but beyond that the program's linked/categorical, the residents are smart/diligent, the attendings teach and the didactics are organized.

Also, if you plan to practice medicine in the Miami area, it seems that it would serve you well to know how to interact in Spanish to some functional degree regardless of which hospital you work in. It's just the nature of Miami...everywhere you go there, people are speaking Español.

My friend sat in front of the Larkin PD in a military uniform on interview day as the Larkin PD promised that he would match if he ranked them. Guess what? He didn't match.

If you don't have enough integrity to be truthful to someone in a military uniform...then you don't have integrity. Pm&r is a small field and I'm probably the least anonymous person on this forum. In spite of that...this irks me enough to say something anyway...because I want people on this forum to make good decisions.

Reactions: 1 users
My friend sat in front of the Larkin PD in a military uniform on interview day as the Larkin PD promised that he would match if he ranked them. Guess what? He didn't match.

If you don't have enough integrity to be truthful to someone in a military uniform...then you don't have integrity. Pm&r is a small field and I'm probably the least anonymous person on this forum. In spite of that...this irks me enough to say something anyway...because I want people on this forum to make good decisions.

I spent a day with the PD and after the first day he told me he would rank me as a 3rd year. That gave me suspicion and is the reason I won't apply.

Don't get me wrong, the PD is fantastic and I like how he practices medicine, but to me I feel I would need to prove myself to be deserving of a spot.

I spent a day with the PD and after the first day he told me he would rank me as a 3rd year. That gave me suspicion and is the reason I won't apply.

Don't get me wrong, the PD is fantastic and I like how he practices medicine, but to me I feel I would need to prove myself to be deserving of a spot.

My money's on him feeding you a pile of crap in hopes that you rank his program. It's how his program fills (my guess at least).