AOA Ortho programs advices...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

huh

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am wondering if anyone could share some wisdoms and insights.

I'm leaning toward orthopedic surgery and I'm in the process of figuring out what AOA programs to rotate during the fall semester. What are some good programs out there?

In addition, I am wondering what are my chances of matching into any AOA program? My preclinical grades are average (few honors); my COMLEX 1 is average; my clinical grades thus far are mostly honors; I have 3 publications (1 in kidney cancer, 1 in orthopedic, and 1 surgical technique article---all are 2nd or 3rd author). From what I've read and being told, ortho is an extremely competitive and most likely I'm out of luck. But I also read in some postings here that it really depends on how the they like me during the rotation. I guess that I can work really hard and try to do well in COMLEX 2 and work my butt off during these rotations. Can someone share some insights on this?

Are these any AOA programs out there that may not necessarily emphasize much on the board/grades?

Any advices will greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

If you do a search on this forum, there has been a thread about the programs how really stress board scores and grades (ie. Grandview, Mt. Clemens, Des Peres, Doctor's). But you're right that the key to DO programs is the rotation. I cannot stress that enough. Even if you have the best scores, you will not get an interview at many of the top programs if you did not rotate.

Ortho is competitive, I've heard that scores >80% are needed to be realistic, but I'm sure there are outliers as long as you're motivated and work hard. Show to the programs that you have the dedication and ability to succeed in residency, even if your scores are subpar.

My advice would be to take step II early, do well on them. And rotate at as many DO programs as you can that do not stress scores and ranks as highly as others.

Best of luck!!!