AOA IM > ACGME Pulm/CC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bostonredsox

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
so as the title of the thread states, I matched into a categorical AOA internal medicine residency today. Is the door completely slammed shut and nailed in to me ever getting a pulm/cc or straight cc fellowship from the ABIM? There are only 11 AOA programs for pulm/cc or straight cc as compared to 150+ ABIM. And I know that doing an ACGME IM residency spot prevents this but thats not how the match worked out for me. Nevertheless, I still want to do pulm/cc. Input please.

Members don't see this ad.

so as the title of the thread states, I matched into a categorical AOA internal medicine residency today. Is the door completely slammed shut and nailed in to me ever getting a pulm/cc or straight cc fellowship from the ABIM? There are only 11 AOA programs for pulm/cc or straight cc as compared to 150+ ABIM. And I know that doing an ACGME IM residency spot prevents this but thats not how the match worked out for me. Nevertheless, I still want to do pulm/cc. Input please.

I'm pretty sure you have to be ABIM certified initially (which obvioulsy means ACGME IM residency) to sit for the ABIM pulmonary and critical care boards during/after fellowship. Someone may correct me if I'm wrong, but even if you could find an ABIM pulm/cc or cc program to take you, I don't think you'd ever be board eligible unfortunately.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm pretty sure you have to be ABIM certified initially (which obvioulsy means ACGME IM residency) to sit for the ABIM pulmonary and critical care boards during/after fellowship. Someone may correct me if I'm wrong, but even if you could find an ABIM pulm/cc or cc program to take you, I don't think you'd ever be board eligible unfortunately.

and JDH is wrong for a change.

yes you can get an ABIM fellowship from an AOA IM spot, I I trained at a DO IM residency and am currently a first year pulm-cc fellow at a ABIM fellowship and I know 3 others who've done the same. people will tell you that programs can't take you, that's incorrect, RRC guidelines clearly state that fellowship programs can take non-ABIM grads into their program as long as they average 75% or more ABIM grads over a 5 year period (page 10). now the caveat is that you can not sit for ABIM boards, I've heard there are exceptions but I can not find one that would apply to this situation, but you still can get board certified through th ACOI/AOBIM, but you have to play their game and do the verification process. I can put my hands on the form right this minute but it's basically same process to get internship approved.

there will be fellowships that will not interview you due to the AOA IM training, but there are friendly programs out there. my personal bias on the AOA pulm-cc programs is that only 1-2 of the programs are at large enough hospitals to justify a fellowship. you can apply for both, but the AOA fellowship process is hap-hazard with no set dates, and I was going to apply as most apply the fall of your 3rd year, but 1 program (after I contacted them about the dates) changed the timeline without notifying me and I by pure luck emailed them the day before and was old then, thankfully I didn't want to go there anyways.

yes you can get an ABIM fellowship from an AOA IM spot, I I trained at a DO IM residency and am currently a first year pulm-cc fellow at a ABIM fellowship and I know 3 others who've done the same. people will tell you that programs can't take you, that's incorrect, RRC guidelines clearly state that fellowship programs can take non-ABIM grads into their program as long as they average 75% or more ABIM grads over a 5 year period (page 10). now the caveat is that you can not sit for ABIM boards, I've heard there are exceptions but I can not find one that would apply to this situation, but you still can get board certified through th ACOI/AOBIM, but you have to play their game and do the verification process. I can put my hands on the form right this minute but it'sbasically same process to get internship approved

there will be fellowships that will not interview you due to the AOA IM training, but there are friendly programs out there. my personal bias on the AOA pulm-cc programs is that only 1-2 of the programs are at large enough hospitals to justify a fellowship. you can apply for both, but the AOA fellowship process is hap-hazard with no set dates, and I was going to apply as most apply the fall of your 3rd year, but 1 program (after I contacted them about the dates) changed the timeline without notifying me and I by pure luck emailed them the day before and was old then, thankfully I didn't want to go there anyways.

That's good news. Basically I want to finish my aoa IM residency, get a DO friendly acgme pulm/cc fellowship and be boarded through some sort of governing body. If I have to go through hoops to get aoa boarded in pulm/cc from an acgme fellowship that's fine. I just want to be pulm/cc boarded.

yes you can get an ABIM fellowship from an AOA IM spot, I I trained at a DO IM residency and am currently a first year pulm-cc fellow at a ABIM fellowship and I know 3 others who've done the same. people will tell you that programs can't take you, that's incorrect, RRC guidelines clearly state that fellowship programs can take non-ABIM grads into their program as long as they average 75% or more ABIM grads over a 5 year period (page 10). now the caveat is that you can not sit for ABIM boards, I've heard there are exceptions but I can not find one that would apply to this situation, but you still can get board certified through th ACOI/AOBIM, but you have to play their game and do the verification process. I can put my hands on the form right this minute but it's basically same process to get internship approved.

I merely meant board eligible for ABIM Pulmonary and CC boards.

I didn't know about the other pathway for osteopathic board certification. It's good to know and file away in case I run into someone else who asks. Nice to know they aren't too terrible of ****ers about it.

I also matched into a categorical IM program through the AOA match, however, the program is dually certified. Does this mean I can sit for the ABIM as well and then match into a CC/Pulm fellowship?

When I was reading this thread, I was actually suspecting the OP might have been you under a different name, until of course I saw you posted too. I thought you told me your program wasn't dually accredited, but whatever the case, I looked it up and indeed it is. Good deal. :thumbup:

i do not have another name