anyone?????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor_GirL

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
who here is/was attending med school in their state, and doing residential in their state? Is that possible? :(

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. I'm planning to do that. CU residencies will typically automatically grant interviews to all UCHSC applicants.

So does that mean it is highly an advantage/possible to get in to med school since you have attnded their university? Please pray that later down the road that it will happen to me also.

My advisor said that it is nearly impossible for that to happen, very rare. It made me real sad. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
One thing I've found about med school advisors: they lie. My med school advisor wasn't worth crap; he told me that I never had a chance of going to med school and hey look...I'm an M3 now. So take everything they say with a very large grain of salt.

I'm in med school in my home state, and I know that if I were to choose to stay here I could. But I don't want to do my residency here.

Doctor_GirL said:
My advisor said that it is nearly impossible for that to happen, very rare. It made me real sad. :(

Your advisor is...a not good advice giving advisor.

Usually your best shot at getting into a medical school is at your state school. And once at your state school, your best shot with residencies are probably at your school's hospital. Or failing that, then at some hospital nearby.

So it's actually fairly common to go to your state's med school and then do your residency in your state. That is pretty much exactly the goal of most state schools - to train students from their state to practice in their state.

Doctor Girl,

What state are you referring to, if I might ask? Most places once you're in med school in that state, your BEST chances of getting residencies are in that state. I'm wondering where you got this advice from.

Doctor Girl,

It seems like actually 2 issues here. I'm not sure which one you are asking about so I will try to answer both.

Issue #1: How hard is it to get into your state medical school if you went there for undergad?

From some of your other posts it seems like perhaps you are thinking of attending school in Washington State. If so, that may explain what your advisor said. UW School of Medicine has a great reputation and is one of only 2 med schools in the Northwest. What this means is that there is a lot of competition for a relatively small number of spots. I am not sure if they give preference to applicants who did undergrad at UW, but there are a large number of UW premeds, perhaps too many for them all to be accepted there. In general, it is more difficult to get into UW (the med school, not the undergrad) than many other state schools due to its reputation and the large number of applicants. By the way, if you are not a resident of Washington state it is very unlikely that you will get an interview there.

Issue #2: How hard is it to get a residency in your home state if you went there for medical school?

Going to residency from medical school is a different story. In general, students tend to have an advantage when applying to a residency affiliated with their med school. My understanding from friends at UW is that it is not an exception to this. However, getting into residency is highly dependent upon the specialty for which you are applying.

When you say "advisor," are you talking about a pre-med advisor who has worked with a large number of students, most of whom have been accepted into medical school? If not, I would consider talking to someone who meets those criteria.

Hope this helps!

Kazema said:
Your advisor is...a not good advice giving advisor.

Usually your best shot at getting into a medical school is at your state school. And once at your state school, your best shot with residencies are probably at your school's hospital. Or failing that, then at some hospital nearby.

So it's actually fairly common to go to your state's med school and then do your residency in your state. That is pretty much exactly the goal of most state schools - to train students from their state to practice in their state.
Doctor_GirL, if you're sending this from the UW, I know who your advisor is, and he's bitter about something. He tells everyone that they have no chance at getting into the UWSOM. I had a 3.7/36, and he said that I should look at other schools because I didn't have a chance. I came back to him in early December, acceptance in hand, and he was flabbergasted.

It is an unfortunate that it is statistically more difficult for a UW undergrad to be admitted to the UWSOM. The odds are something like 1:30, whereas it's not nearly as high for other schools. But our entering class is made up of something like 35% UW undergrads, and many of them have GPAs and MCAT scores that are below the average.

So in a nutshell, don't listen to the advisor. He'll really bring you down. Search on here or PM me if you want any help or advice.

But to answer your original question, MOST students who graduate from the UWSOM do residency in Washington.

Sweet Tea said:
One thing I've found about med school advisors: they lie. My med school advisor wasn't worth crap; he told me that I never had a chance of going to med school and hey look...I'm an M3 now. So take everything they say with a very large grain of salt.

I'm in med school in my home state, and I know that if I were to choose to stay here I could. But I don't want to do my residency here.
+1 The "advisors" I spoke with were terrible. I'm soooooo glad I was non-trad and did have to use them. Had I listened to them, I would be starting next yr instead of beening an MS2.

I have notice alot of things about advisor, they are never willing to encourage but yet can be so negative about everything.
It was my pre med advisor that told me this. She kept questioning me about my abilities, such as "can you do it", are you sure this is it? etc. I thought in my head that just because she has to be stuck with some advising job don't bring me down too! I was a little mad when I spoke with her. She also said, "Oh! you know you don't have to be a physician there is always RPH, dentistry, and RN". Really pissed me off. :mad:
But honestly I am still encouraged and motivated as ever! :)

It seems at some schools the advisor serves as a gatekeeper to try to actually keep people from applying in order to keep their matriculants:applicants ratio as high as possible. Which I think is ridiculous; advisors are supposed to help everyone strengthen their apps as much as possible and provide ADVICE (imagine that, an advisor giving advice!) to applicants.

I guess I'm lucky in that my school doesn't really publish or advertise their % matriculated stats and the advisor just does her best to advise us - plus I don't think my school had all that many premeds. But even so, I think I got most of my info from SDN - after all one advisor can only spend so much time with each person.

In other words, thank God for SDN. But now that I'm done with the application process SDN's become such a huge time sink and yet I can't stop coming here!

Advisors will def. tend to give more negative comments than positive. It is all about CYA. If they say you will have a tough chance getting in and you do...you think he was a bad advisor for making you worry an excess amount. If he tells you don't worry, and you don't get in then your going to be even more pissed because you wasted the money and you have an excess amount of worry/stress afterward. If it were like college and all students would get in somewhere, the advisors job would be easy, but its not so they one of the two options above to give you...Oh and if your thinking "why wouldn't they say well maybe your get in?" everyone knows that they want a definite opinion not a wishy washy one.

So if it's easier to get a residency in the state where you went to med school, is the reverse true - harder from out of state? I would like to return to my home state for residency after having been gone for med school. Does being a state resident matter?

Doctor_GirL said:

With all respect, your advisor is full of crap. ;)