Anyone with a lot of retaken classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

susanahk

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys! So reading posts on here has been super helpful in calming my nerves about applying but I’m just wondering if anyone else has retaken a lot of classes? I kept retaking the same classes over and over again and my transcript isn’t the prettiest. But to somehow balance that I scored really well on the OAT. My last set of retakes were all done in one semester to prove I can handle and master the courseload. Anyone else in a similar situation? Any advice would be helpful

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Yup I retook a total of 4 classes and got into every school I applied to.

Reactions: 1 users
@pineapple1 Which classes did you end up retaking? What was your sgpa and cgpa at the end (if you dont mind me asking)? (what was your degree) (in a similar situation)

Members don't see this ad :)
@pineapple1 Which classes did you end up retaking? What was your sgpa and cgpa at the end (if you dont mind me asking)? (what was your degree) (in a similar situation)

I retook Gen Chem II, biochemistry, organic chemistry II, organic chemistry I. sGPA was like 2.7 or 2.8 I think. cGPA was 3.1. Degree was biology.

I think what got me in was my OAT score (370 TS/360 AA)

Did anyone retake classes postbacc or during undergrad?

Yup I retook a total of 4 classes and got into every school I applied to.

I retook a lot of classes too and my transcript is quite cringeworthy so this is great to hear!
Also, if you already interviewed, how did you explain this to them? Im not sure if honesty really is the best policy? Truth is I was immature and not taking classes seriously

I retook a lot of classes too and my transcript is quite cringeworthy so this is great to hear!
Also, if you already interviewed, how did you explain this to them? Im not sure if honesty really is the best policy? Truth is I was immature and not taking classes seriously

I had an F on my transcript so don’t lose hope lol. When I was asked about grades, I just explained that I struggled in those classes the first time I took them and had a hard time keeping up with multiple difficult classes in one semester. I also mentioned that I overloaded on science classes despite the advice from advisors but I needed to do so in order to graduate on time. I told them that my plan backfired but that retaking the classes and succeeding in them plus doing well on the corresponding OAT sections allowed me to prove to myself that I was capable.

They seemed to appreciate my response. One of my interviewers said that students who get straight As and never experience struggle in undergrad tend to get discouraged when they don’t succeed in optometry school. But having been through that struggle, I’ve learned strategies for improvement and can keep a positive attitude.

Reactions: 1 users
I had an F on my transcript so don’t lose hope lol. When I was asked about grades, I just explained that I struggled in those classes the first time I took them and had a hard time keeping up with multiple difficult classes in one semester. I also mentioned that I overloaded on science classes despite the advice from advisors but I needed to do so in order to graduate on time. I told them that my plan backfired but that retaking the classes and succeeding in them plus doing well on the corresponding OAT sections allowed me to prove to myself that I was capable.

They seemed to appreciate my response. One of my interviewers said that students who get straight As and never experience struggle in undergrad tend to get discouraged when they don’t succeed in optometry school. But having been through that struggle, I’ve learned strategies for improvement and can keep a positive attitude.
Great response to their concerns!

Thank for your help! Your honesty is admirable :))

Congratulations!! :) If you don't mind me asking, which schools did you get into?