Anyone willing to read/critique a disadvantaged status essay?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Proudfather94

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello was wondering if there is anyone willing to read my disadvantaged status essay to see if I worded it in the best way. I tried to basically explain what caused me to claim the status and how it affected me in college without adding unnecessary details.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello was wondering if there is anyone willing to read my disadvantaged status essay to see if I worded it in the best way. I tried to basically explain what caused me to claim the status and how it affected me in college without adding unnecessary details.
The best method to approach the disadvantaged essay is through a timeline of facts that have occurred. exaggerated example below:

“I marked disadvantaged status as during my childhood I grew up in a medically underserved area, attended an underserved Title I school district, and my family accrued substantial medical debt that limited access to resources. Additionally for consideration, during my college years I was a parent living off campus with limited access to on-campus resources. My limited income and familial financial independence from parents also required that my spouse, child and I utilize government funded food assistance and Medicaid health insurance.”

The disadvantaged essay is not a place for opinions or lessons learned, just direct answers to how you believe you were disadvantaged compared to your peers. This can also include gender identity, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, culture, religion, immigration status etc. with a major focus on ages 0-18, however emphasis on later years can be appropriate particularly for non-traditional students.

based on your description, it sounds like you did just this, yes?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user