Anyone want to help review my LOInterest?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

j_diggity

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Writing an LOI to one of my top schools and could use some thoughts. Happy to return the favor as well :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I can't review this for you due to possible conflicts of interest - but just to say that if you call it "one of your top schools" in the letter or anything similar to that, it will be interpreted as "not my top choice."

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
I can't review this for you due to possible conflicts of interest - but just to say that if you call it "one of your top schools" in the letter or anything similar to that, it will be interpreted as "not my top choice."
Something along the lines of “I would be thrilled to attend” is what I was thinking. The rest of the letter backs that up with reasoning like - family and friends are close by, unique curricular opportunities, particular research interests, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Something along the lines of “I would be thrilled to attend” is what I was thinking. The rest of the letter backs that up with reasoning like - family and friends are close by, unique curricular opportunities, particular research interests, etc.
Anything in an LOI that is not explicitly "you are my top choice" will make a school assume they are not your top choice.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Anything in an LOI that is not explicitly "you are my top choice" will make a school assume they are not your top choice.
I appreciate your perspective! My issues with this are:
  • Saying “Top choice” makes it a letter of intent, not interest.
  • It’s too early for me (or most people) to know what my top choice is but I know what my top 2-3 are and they are mostly schools that like these letters.
  • I’m pretty certain that one school stands above all the others as my top choice, but…
  • My top choice will only become apparent once I actually have all my post-II decisions and ESPECIALLY financial aid offers.
  • It’s not ethical to risk saying it’s my top choice and not end up going there, that’s a bad look. I don’t want to end up going back on my word if I get better financial aid elsewhere.
Any ideas on how to navigate this?

Last edited:
hi! Happy to review. wrote one and got an acceptance thereafter although I don't know how much of a role it played.

I appreciate your perspective! My issues with this are:
  • Saying “Top choice” makes it a letter of intent, not interest.
  • It’s too early for me (or most people) to know what my top choice is but I know what my top 2-3 are and they are mostly schools that like these letters.
  • I’m pretty certain that one school stands above all the others as my top choice, but…
  • My top choice will only become apparent once I actually have all my post-II decisions and ESPECIALLY financial aid offers.
  • It’s not ethical to risk saying it’s my top choice and not end up going there, that’s a bad look. I don’t want to end up going back on my word if I get better financial aid elsewhere.
Any ideas on how to navigate this?
The issues you outlined above are exactly why letters of interest are not taken very seriously by schools, and why many involved in the application review/interview process recommend not writing them.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Some schools state that they like letters of interest or intent. I am asking how to write them.
In your case the actual contents are immaterial. Writing and sending a letter will show the school(s) that you took the time to write and send a letter.

If you had something truly compelling to convey, like your spouse has a job offer in the school's city, it may be a different story. But that's the exception. The rule is that we know you've applied to multiple schools, and you're trying to play the game to optimize your leverage.