Anyone want a reapplication "buddy"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
DoctorFunk said:
Welcome to the club! I just wanted to comment on something I've noticed in reading through the bios in this thread...it seems that a fair number of us are engaged/married. I will be asking my girlfriend to marry me this weekend (still trying to come up with the perfect way to ask, of course ;) ) and think that my year off after my first application has turned out to be a blessing in disguise. It has really given me a chance to reevaluate my life and reset my priorities, which prior to my rejection could never have included a marriage.

DoctorFunk ~
CONGRATS!!!! And I couldn't agree with the above paragraph more. (I'm engaged also...the big day is October 8, 2005...I've been engaged FOR-EV-ER...trying to save up the $$$)

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats to both of you. It is funny. I am kind of relieved that I am not running off to med school in my first year of marriage. I just wanted to get married before starting school, b/c I couldn't imagine planning a wedding for my first semester of med school.

Hi guys,

Congrats to the three of you and welcome to our new member! After being married for almost 8 years(got married right after undergrad) I can say that I am a little more settled and mature. That's not to say that our other single members are not :D It's just that for me, I learned that it takes so much to really be successful in this life-Truly successful, not just having the money or the other material things, but having some substance in your life. Looking back, I can't believe how selfish I was. It was all about me, myself, and I. Compassion for patients would not have been a strong point for me. But anyway, enough of the deep thoughts. Enjoy your spouses (good luck with the proposal (DF) and know that you can't sleep with a M.D. degree :laugh: (although, perhaps after this is all over I may make a place for mine along side my hubby)

Peace,
mrsmac

Members don't see this ad :)
to all my fellow reapplicants

i am a little slow on the ball (compared to a lot of you who have their app already submitted :) )... but I was wondering if anyone would want to take a look at my personal statement? i know you probably don't, but if anyone is crazy enough out there to actually want to proof it, i would really really like that a whole heck of a lot!! :D

thanks in advance :):):):)

-wa

Hey guys,

Just wanted to let you all know that my application has been processed. I got my email today saying it was processed yesterday (17th). So, here is the timeline I had: I submitted my application on June 3, so it took about two weeks. It was actually processed about 5 days after my final transcript arrived. I hope this helps you guys out. Take care and keep pressin' toward the mark! Now I'm off to study for this darned MCAT-again.

Peace,
mrsmac

If I haven't already said this:

AMCAS Submitted: June 3
AMCAS Processed: June 14

I have seen some that have been processed in 5 days or less. I wonder if mine took longer because of my graduate courses, although both transcripts were in by the end of May.

Hi, everyone:

Very nice to meet others with whom to commiserate! Here are my stats:

Female
married w/ an *energetic* 3-year old (+wanna have another baby soonish!)
postpac gpa: 3.95 (undergrad gpa: 3.5)
2003 MCAT: 26S (argh!!)
good ec's
work f/t in clinical research

I applied to 6 schools (live in NYC); 2 interviews; 2 waitlists. Now I'm waiting...and starting to fill out my AMCAS again (demoralizing and expensive ). Don't know what to write for the essay this time. Feel like I've told my story already. Any advice?

I also started studying for the MCAT, and am actually doing much better this summer than last. Got my highest diagnostic score (28), so feeling a little better.

Keep the faith, everyone!

BH

Question for all the buddies. This time around are you applying to the same schools, different schools, a combo. I'm wondering b/c not much has changed for me in the past year, so I am not sure about the worth of re-applying to the same schools. I have a few abstracts to add, I revised my PS and am enrolled in a few post-bacc classes, and have a new letter of rec. I am just hoping for better luck this time around. Am I being foolish? Should I be doing more? Last year I only applied to schools in Philly and NY, and probably reached to high with some of the schools I applied to, so now I am applying nationwide, including Osteopathic schools. I will probably re-apply to my state schools, but not sure if it is worth re-applying anywhere else. Any advice? TIA

Hey all..sorry to jump in here. I am not a re-applicant. If everything goes well, I will actually apply in 2006. I am 31, my undergrad GPA sucks 2.94 (electrical engineering). But I am doing very well in my post-bacc courses (mostly A,A+). I have a fulltime job and family with one kid.

According to my calculation, there is no way I can pull my total undergrad GPA beyond 3.1 or so.

Reading this thread scared me quite a bit. I mean many of you have real good GPA and good MCAT scores and still didn't get in?? In all honestly, I think I have the academic capability to handle med school..but my undergrad GPA doesn't represent that. Sometimes I wonder if I should even think about medical school which seems impossible after reading many of your posts.

But then again, I am close to be done with my pre-req courseworks..and I want to give it a shot in 2006. Backup plan : Pharm.D.

Take care all..and best wishes to all of you.

shahab

see thread of the same name. :(

Hi, I'm glad I'm not alone. I spend a lot of time in a cold dark closet with a microscope and it's hard not to feel like a loser (for not getting an accpetance) after a few hours alone in the dark!

Anyways, I am waitlisted at 3 schools with no acceptances (Emory, MCG, Morehouse; all GA schools) and am pondering applying again:

GPA: 3.45 (can't quite recall sci-GPA, but I do remember a C+ and B+ in GenChem! A/B in orgo, though)
MCAT: 30, 32 (had to retake b/c of elapsed time)
Major: History (Emory Univ)

I have some contacts at Emory since I work there, so I've managed to find out that my interviews and LORs were fine, although I couldn't get any specifics on why waitlist or where on the waitlist. As for MCG and Morehouse, who knows.

Should I go ahead and re-apply? Some positive things that happened: I was promoted at work; I got my name on a peer-reviewed paper and if I re-apply, hopefully a few more (one as a 1st author). I also decided to get back into tennis (local leagues, IM tournaments) Should I ask my letter writers to write different recommendations? I'm pretty sure 2 of them are just going to print out another copy if I don't say anything.

I hope this doesn't sound smug, but I know I can get at least a 34 on the MCAT. I'm wondering if I should shell out the $$ to take it again? The reason I didn't get that on my second try was that there was AC in the building for VR! And this is in GA!

If anyone is willing, I'd like someone to look over my application (ALL of it, except for the identity theft section). Instead of printing out my app, I had it converted into a PDF. Isn't technology cool? I'd certainly be willing to read anyone else's, whole or just certain sections. Even if you aren't willing to reciprocate. I don't mind; I don't have classes to study for. :) Just PM me!

Anyways, good luck everyone! I truly wish you all the best! Thanks for reading this poorly-written message!

-X

P.S. Even though schools may require a specific form, I'm pretty sure they'll include your LORs, regardless of format. Probably as "extra" material. You'll, of course, have to use their forms, but I don't think it would hurt to send out letter early. Just my opinion!

kmjannie said:
mrsmac,

I would advise against sending out the LORs before the secondary for the following reason. Each school has a different way they want the LORs. I know from experience that U Iowa has your profs fill out this online thing, where they do write a sort of LOR, but grade you on all these other criteria too. It's very specific. And, of course, you can't know what each school wants until they send you their secondary materials. What I am going to do is get my resume, PS, ECs and other such info to my profs that are going to write me letters so they have it in advance. And, the day those secondaries come, I will be going and knocking on their door to ask them for a letter for that school.

This brings up a question....how long do you give profs to write you a letter? I am planning on telling mine that the deadline is 2 weeks after I give them all the info. Too short, too long????

Cheers, all.

HI all, can i join the fun?! :) i just started posting on sdn so i'm new to this, but am reapplying and would love to have some people to talk to and for support who are going thru the same thing. I am 25, in my 2nd year of a PhD program that I am actually leaving b/c though i LOVE research, I know being a doctor is more from my heart...just gotta get in now! I am retaking the mcat in august, got a 25O last year :( but also applied really late, like just by deadlines. so...i'm working on AMCAS now...if i get it in mid july will i still be ok?! looking forward to this buddy thing. Thanks!

hey guys

question for you all: i just finished the ps (finally!) and went to put it into AMCAS so i can finally send it off (a couple weeks later than i wanted). so i put it in, with the paragraph separations, having 5 spaces before each paragraph.... i went to go print it (before submitting) and it has my entire ps as one long paragraph with no breaks... is that the way its supposed to be? i dont remember from last year, but i think that is because last years was considerably shorter - ~4200 characters, while this years is right on the line (5299 according to AMCAS, ~5285 according to word)

so basically should i cut a little more out and put more space between each paragraph?

thanks

-wa

Ok... well I figured out my problem.

And I have submitted my application. Its a weight off my shoulders, but at the same time... i am now more nervous because it is all up to them now. yikes :scared:

oh well, i guess now it is full throttle towards August 14th, with nothing between me and MCATs now. oh how unsettling the future is :):) Gotta love it and gotta believe! :)

peace!
-wa

Hey guys,

Just wanted to remind you all that I'll start our thread over in July, so we can end this one (before it gets to be 10,000 theads long). I am certainly surprised at how large our group has become :clap: So, good luck everyone, welcome, and look for the thread "Reapplication Buddies-July" in a few days.

Peace,
mrsmac

P.S. Waitman, glad to hear you submitted-hope the input on the PS helped!

Hi everyone,

I am also reapplying to med school this year after taking a year off. I took the MCATS again and got the same score - so I guess that says I'm consistent :laugh: . It's nice to know that this support system is in place.

GPA:3.5
Major: Electrical Engineering
MCAT:29O

I need all the help I can get because I just want to do it right this time and get in somewhere.