Anyone score completely different than how they felt they did? Especially with CARS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cbeck8

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I felt pretty good on 3 out of the 4 sections on the MCAT, but I felt awful about CARS, I had been averaging around a 125 on CARS previously and I am mostly applying DO, but did anyone feel they completely bombed CARS or other sections but then they got a score completely different than they thought?

Members don't see this ad.

I had been always getting 129-131 on CARS on NS and AAMC. On my real MCAT, I only got 126 because I ran out of time. There was one passage I didn't even have time to read and ALL the passages were cumbersome and boring. Like renaissance, then opera, then art history, then Ottoman Empire, etc. Like not a single one was interesting..... I was super bummed with this result. Maybe I didn't practice enough because I thought I was golden on this part or maybe it was just an unlucky day. Guess it depends on my locus of control, huh? ;-)

Reactions: 1 user
I guess it depends on the test taker. I thought I bombed the whole exam and was prepared to have to take it again, but I actually wound up doing really well. Like everyone else says, unless something drastic happens you can trust your previous AAMC FL scores

Members don't see this ad :)
I was averaging a 128 on CARS across my practice exams, but I got a 126 on the real thing. I attribute that to one very long and boring passage, and I made the rookie mistake of spending too much time on it (probably not even getting it right), and having to guess on the last couple CARS questions. As for the other sections, I thought I did great on chem, did OK on bio, and did terrible on psych (ask anyone from the 3/31 test date). Surprisingly, I got only a 125 on chem, but 127s on both bio and psych. I guess that has to do a bit with the curve as well. I'd say don't feel too bad if you don't think you did as well as you should've. You probably did just fine, or right around what you got on AAMC practice exams. Best of luck!
I was making a 128-130 on CARS and felt like it was a lot tougher on the real test but I ended up with a 129 from the real thing.

I quoted this comment cause I also took the 3/31 test and the psych section killed me. I did end up with a 514, but with a 128/129/131/126.

I had been always getting 129-131 on CARS on NS and AAMC. On my real MCAT, I only got 126 because I ran out of time. There was one passage I didn't even have time to read and ALL the passages were cumbersome and boring. Like renaissance, then opera, then art history, then Ottoman Empire, etc. Like not a single one was interesting..... I was super bummed with this result. Maybe I didn't practice enough because I thought I was golden on this part or maybe it was just an unlucky day. Guess it depends on my locus of control, huh? ;-)

I took the old mcat in 2013 right before it changed and am now studying for it again. My practice scores on verbal(CARS) were consistently in the 12-14 range which I think is analogous to 130-132ish. Scored a 10/126-127 on the real thing because I could not finish the section. The passages were just much longer than any practice materials I've seen. Seems to be a common problem.

I was making a 128-130 on CARS and felt like it was a lot tougher on the real test but I ended up with a 129 from the real thing.

I quoted this comment cause I also took the 3/31 test and the psych section killed me. I did end up with a 514, but with a 128/129/131/126.

In hindsight, what could you have done to better prepare for the psych section?

In hindsight, what could you have done to better prepare for the psych section?
I don't think I covered the amount of content that I should have, especially since I haven't had classes in those subjects. The only review book I used for that section was the Kaplan 2015 edition book, meaning it was written before the new test even came out.

If I had it to do over again I would use a newer book, possibly by a different company, although the rest of the Kaplan set was great. I would also take advantage of all of Khan Academy's psych/soc content. I have heard their content for psych/soc is very good and I did not use any of it.

I felt pretty good on 3 out of the 4 sections on the MCAT, but I felt awful about CARS, I had been averaging around a 125 on CARS previously and I am mostly applying DO, but did anyone feel they completely bombed CARS or other sections but then they got a score completely different than they thought?
The majority of my friends, unfortunately, scored lower on the actual MCAT cars section than on their practices. However, keep in mind CARS can be extremely variable; perhaps all of them just got blasted with passages that were particularly difficult or boring.