Anyone reasonably confident they WILL be accepted to med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pathdr2b

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I can think of 2 SDNer's that should be/have been pretty confident of their chances for admissions: Neuronix and Efex101( Sorry to call you guys out). Everyone talks alot about how much of a crap shot getting into medical school is, but SOMEONE with a great application has to get in, right? Why not you?

PS-No, I'm NOT confident I'll be admitted thanks in large part to a poor showing at the undergrdaute level. I think it's 50/50 for me:laugh: :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

My understanding is that, if your GPA is 3.5+, your MCAT is 30+, and you have solid clinical volunteer experience, then you can expect to get in. If one factor is a little lower, maybe it's OK. If all are lower, then the chances drop.

I'm sure I can get the 3.5 and the 30+ MCAT, but the clinical experience is just not to be found where I live. I am trying though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by gary5
My understanding is that, if your GPA is 3.5+, your MCAT is 30+, and you have solid clinical volunteer experience, then you can expect to get in. If one factor is a little lower, maybe it's OK. If all are lower, then the chances drop.

I bettered those stats by a long margin, I have worked in a medical reference laboratory for 3 years, and I volunteered for two years in South America.
Man I hope your right because I don't have even a single interview yet and it makes me nervous.

Originally posted by rgporter
I bettered those stats by a long margin, I have worked in a medical reference laboratory for 3 years, and I volunteered for two years in South America.
Man I hope your right because I don't have even a single interview yet and it makes me nervous.

When did you get all of your stuff in?

Originally posted by pathdr2b
I can think of 2 SDNer's that should be/have been pretty confident of their chances for admissions: Neuronix and Efex101( Sorry to call you guys out).

Um, isn't Neuronix already in medical school?

Originally posted by sacrament

I believe Neuronix is an MSTP already.

Then I'd say his chances this year are extremely poor.

Leave the word should, take out the word be and you have "should have been"......;)

Then I'd say his chances this year are extremely poor.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I feel confident I will get accepted. Not sure if I will make the cut at top schools... but im also not sure that I care about that. Im hoping for calls on wednesday from the two state schools in KY.

Path I hope that you are right from your mouth (or keyboard) to God's ears. I do hope that I get in but I will not be celebrating until I get a phone call or some mail..

Well, considering that 50% of applicants are accepted by at least one school, at least half of us should be reasonably confident! I think as a group premeds are underconfident.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by PianoGirl04
think as a group premeds are underconfident.

Care to reevaluate that statement? Apparently you have not encountered some of the more unsavory characters on SDN. :p

While I already got accepted to an osteopathic school (PCOM), I am extremely confident that I will get into a top allopathic school. I've already been to several interviews at top 10 schools and have a few more coming up. At 2 interviews, I was basically told that I will be hearing from them around October 15.

Originally posted by Gleevec
Care to reevaluate that statement? Apparently you have not encountered some of the more unsavory characters on SDN. :p

Yeah, this is true, but I just think we worry so much about getting in that we never stop to think that statistically 50% of us WILL get in somewhere. I still think most of us are underconfident, although the unsavory SDNers are the ones that stick in our minds because they just annoy the rest of us so much. Just look at all the threads asking "Can I get in? Do I have a chance with my X.X GPA and XX MCAT? I've been complete for 90 days and no interview!" etc. I guess my re-evaluation would be that MOST of us are underconfident, but a few people who shall remain nameless give us a more cocky image.

I'm feeling pretty good about my chances:)

Unless I cant get the money to go, im sure.
My credit isnt top notch.

"I see that you were not resposible enough to bring back you movies at blockbuster for a month. Why should we trust you with 200K???"

yeah im worried about getting in.....

but deep down i am pretty confident that i will get in med school.......the only question is where down my list will i get in.....

oh yeah plus the money.......my credit sucks ass too.

I was fairly worried about getting in with my mediocre stats, but somehow I've thus far gotten 11 interviews. I would hope that with those numbers, at least 1 would come through, or I would have no option other than to shoot myself in the face :p

Originally posted by Squat n Squeeze
While I already got accepted to an osteopathic school (PCOM), I am extremely confident that I will get into a top allopathic school. I've already been to several interviews at top 10 schools and have a few more coming up. At 2 interviews, I was basically told that I will be hearing from them around October 15.

Just because they tell you that you'll be hearing from them on October 15 doesn't mean that it'll be good news.

And no, I don't feel confident that I'll get in somewhere. I'm just going to play the waiting game and see what happens. I think one of the strangest parts of this website and interviews is how some students try to intimidate others and show off...Hey, it's hell for everybody, try not to make people who are already anxious about this process even more worried by showing off.

while it's natural for people to doubt themselves, especially in the fact of the fact that half of people applying don't get in anywhere, in reality many of us should be confidant we'll get in somewhere. and that's not arrogance - if you have a 3.7+ GPA and 32+ MCAT there'd have to be something weird happening to not get in anywhere.

yeah like lack of serious personality; or if you walk in the adcomms office during the interview and put your feet up on the desk and light up a cuban in a bathrobe and a martini.

Originally posted by kmnfive
... or if you walk in the adcomms office during the interview and put your feet up on the desk and light up a cuban in a bathrobe and a martini.

I would love to get excepted to one of my top choices, but then still have a few interviews so I can do that at least once. I would love to have the opportunity to just completely blow an interview in style.

btw,
me = not confident

I have zero interviews but feel really good about my chances of "acceptance"

I have received interviews from most of the places i have applied to. I am pretty confident that i will receive a few acceptances. The point is where though :)

Originally posted by bigbaubdi
When did you get all of your stuff in?

I submitted AMCAS July 29, I was processed 5 weeks later in early september. I have been complete at WashU and MCW for about a month. I was complete at UVa (and I believe at USUHS also) about 2 weeks ago, and Ohio state is currently waiting for my letters.
I started to get nervous, so I added more schools. GW and Mich have sent me secondaries which I just recently filled out, I'm still waiting on UCSF and Colorado.

I know I'm probably just getting all worked up for nothing. The process takes time; it's just hard when so many have already recieved interviews/acceptances. You start to wonder if your appplication has B.O.
I know they said to expect it to take 6 weeks I just thought that with my scores and EC's that it would happen a little faster for me.:laugh:

Oh well, that's why we have to keep it real. No one has an inalienable right to practice medicine. We do our best and hope that they will give us the chance to live our dreams.

Just found out I have an interview at U of Mich. Yaay, first one.

Originally posted by gary5

i think it's pretty key to apply to the right schools. and to me that means more than just a school with averages that match your numbers. i think it's important to find the programs that would really suit your goals, learning style, etc. the fact that you are a good match for the program will definitely shine through in a n interview. at least this is what i have been told by the two friends of mine who are in med school now. i think a lot of the 50% of applicants who don't get accepted anywhere applied blindly based on the stats in the MSAR or the ranks in US News. to me, this does not seem like a good method. be smart!

as for me, i feel 90-95% confident i will get in (knock on wood). and although it's something of a crapshoot, i think i could even tell you which schools i will get interviews at (i have only heard back from 2 of the 10 so far) i can tell that i would be a huge asset to some schools and not to others. and those groupings are not based on their rankings and my numbers.

Originally posted by pathdr2b
I can think of 2 SDNer's that should be/have been pretty confident of their chances for admissions: Neuronix and Efex101( Sorry to call you guys out).

Congratulations Efex101. I KNEW you'd get accepted, now you'll have to choose between the many schools that are going to accept you!!!:clap: :clap:

Thanks Path! I just did not want to toot my horn until I had the nice letter in hand, the phone call, or the e-mail...btw I beat you on "years" I am 37 OMG were did time go? and will be 38 in 6 mos....hey when are you applying?

Congrats efex101!!

You are an inspiration for all of us "older" premeds!!

:clap: :clap:

By the way I pm'd you.

congrats, Efex!!!! you should be proud. :)